Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 85
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Rous wintery donut  (Read 673 times)

Offline hweebe

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 10
Rous wintery donut
« on: Mon 11 May 23:04 2020 »
Was out at rous / fishermen’s on Saturday first light. Dropped some crab pots nearby in 12-15m water opposite the go slow ledges nearby. Drift was slow and water depth lower than my liking. 4 massive grinners, couple of football sized toadfish but no winteries to be found. Persisted until around 11am before calling it. Collected the 4 pots. 1 undersized sandy let go however 3 of the 4 pots had been chewed through from the bottom (Where I attached the bait clip of chicken frame and wintery frames. Sizeable large holes, chicken frame and wintery frames demolished. What could have eaten through? One pot was especially bad the the bait keeper bag completely shredded.
Bar crusher 575c

Offline Max

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 179
  • -Receive: 160
Re: Rous wintery donut
« Reply #1 on: Tue 12 May 17:31 2020 »
Lots of sharks in the bay, they can turn a crab pot over and they love chicken frames.

Max
  • My Awards Tailor Over 60cm Sand crab over 16cm

• Offline hweebe

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 35
    • -Receive: 10
    « Reply #2 on: Tue 12 May 22:44 2020 »
    I was thinking that it could be something large tipping the pot over but wasn’t sure. The 7news footage of the sharks in the bay on the weekend also backs this up.
    Bar crusher 575c

Offline crabby1

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 100
    • -Receive: 519
    « Reply #3 on: Wed 13 May 04:58 2020 »
    Wobblygong sharks will smash pots if near bit of rock or reef.
    Being May bull shark pups be getting up in size and still schooling together.

2 guys at work got 70 nice whiting other day in 6' water with heaps of line out. Once found marked spot then anchored and cast to the school as real patchy

Offline bondy99

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 5317
    • -Receive: 2137
    « Reply #4 on: Wed 13 May 19:31 2020 »
    Bull shark is good eating if prepared correctly. Given the chance I got the gear, 100lb braid mainline, leader is 165lb multiline steel wire, with a 7760 6/0 hook crimped onto the wire, never let me down yet, except once when I had a big shark and self at a stale mate at Wolfdene. Neither of us budged, held the shark for 30 minutes, it was jammed near a submerged rock. I had an appointment to make so I cut the main. Lost about 200ft line as well as terminal tackle.
  • My Awards Dolphinfish Over 120cm Whiting Over 40cm Sand crab over 16cm

•  

anything