Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Pine bream improving (at last)!  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Freeeedom

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1024
  • -Receive: 2432
Pine bream improving (at last)!
« on: Mon 10 Feb 12:15 2020 »
Good conditions this morning, so I ran over to Nudgee just before 6.00 to see if any of the prawns flushed out of the creeks had ended up there. Only a couple of boats looking out wide and nothing to be found, so I ran back to the Pine prepared to chase some bream on the big high tide this morning. Although I knew that most of the prawns would have gone, with the Pine totally fresh (even towards the top of the tide), I was hopeful that I could scrounge a few prawns for a bream session. After trying every hole I know in the Pine, and not finding a single prawn, I was glad I'd thrown in a small packet of frozen prawns, just in case! Started to work the bream, who aren't put off by a bit of a bit of fresh water, and they were on at once. The quality was much improved on previous sessions this summer and by the time I ran out of bait, just before 10.00, I had 20 keepers and had released about 15, many of which were right on the 25 cm limit or only just under. Best was 35 cm and many of the rest were over 30. It was a nice little morning session - the best so far this summer.
Cheers Freeeedom

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline Freeeedom

• Registered
  • Thank You
Re: Pine bream improving (at last)!
« Reply #1 on: Mon 24 Feb 12:59 2020 »
Had another look on the high tide this morning. The water was still very fresh at low tide but was moderately salty at the top of the tide. A few prawns starting to appear again - enough for a bream session but not enough for me to chase them seriously. Bream bite was a bit slower than a fortnight ago but the quality was even better. I kept 15 solid fish (best 35 cm) and only had to release 1! They should be around like this for at least another month. Pleasant morning with fairly heavy cloud, not much wind and just the very odd shower. Came in about 10.00.
Cheers Freeeedom

Offline Freeeedom

• Registered
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: Tue 10 Mar 11:48 2020 »
Wasn't sure how much the heavy rain (50mm plus) over the entire Pine River catchment yesterday would affect the run of summer bream, so, after changing my mind half a dozen times, I decided to go and have a look anyway. Launched  just before 7.00, and surprise, surprise I was the only car in the car park. Had a brief look for prawns, but wasn't optimistic, and after getting 3 greasy prawns, from a dozen throws I went looking for the bream on the big rising tide. The tidal run was weaker than I expected, no doubt due to the large amount of run-off water pushing down the river against the rising tide, and this was probably why the bite wasn't as good as it has been lately. I caught about 15 bream and kept 11. The quality was a little down on my most recent trip a fortnight ago, but was still pretty good. The best fish was only 32cm but there were plenty around the 30 mark.  Came in about 10.00 with the tide near its top. It was one of the biggest tides I've seen at Deep Water Bend with the water lapping at the very top of the ramp and threatening to spill over into the car park.
Cheers Freeeedom

Offline Freeeedom

• Registered
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: Thu 26 Mar 14:12 2020 »
Had another shot at the bream today. Got a good supply of bait prawns quite easily (for a change) and went looking for the bream on the rising tide. The summer bream should start to taper off a bit soon, so I wasn't confident I would do all that well.The bite was good from the start, although I did get a few unders early. As the tide got higher the quality improved markedly, and by the time the tide started to slow and the bite eased off I had 15 keepers and had released about another 10. Best was 34 cm and quite a few around the 30 mark. Also lost 4 or 5 that I couldn't keep out of the structure, so there were some good fish there. Went back to the prawns and got a couple of kilos to add to the winter bait supplies. Came in about 11.30. Good conditions and a nice little session made it an enjoyable morning.
Cheers Freeeedom

Offline Freeeedom

• Registered
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: Wed 8 Apr 15:16 2020 »
Had what will probably be my last shot at the Pine summer bream for this season. The tide was pretty good for the bream but the number and quality of the fish is starting to decline, as expected. Only caught about 15 fish, kept 6, with no large fish at all and quite a number of very small fish amongst them. No prawns any where in the Pine either.
By this time I would usually be planning my first week for the year at Iluka, but there doesn't seem much chance of that in the near future. I'll have to find somewhere else a bit closer to home to fish this winter.
Cheers Freeeedom

anything