Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Opinions Wanted - Paint or Viynl Wrap  (Read 160 times)

Offline blairv

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 555
Opinions Wanted - Paint or Viynl Wrap
« on: Wed 6 Nov 19:02 2019 »
Hi all

I am in the middle of boat renos and attention now turns to the hull. It needs some work after years of crab pots banging against the side, sinkers and the odd shark putting dents in it.

The paint is solid - it is not peeling but it is marked, scratched and dented, and I want a new shint look to match teh topsides that have been done.

Question is Viynl Wrap or Paint? I have had a few quotes on Viynl wraps and due to dings/scratches etc there is some prep to before the  wrap is put on which pushes the costs up to about $2000. its a 5.5 meter boat with a max height between topside and waterline of 700mm so just fits into a single wrap I am told.

My reservation about Viynl Wrap is longevity - exactly how long do the last? I have been told between 3 and 7 years  if looked after which to me seems okay - noy great but okay. My boat is stored outisde but covered so does get more sun than normal I guess that may also decrease the life.

Painting is about 20-30% more than a wrap but to me might last a bit longer and be more durable.

Time wise I intend to keep the boat for at least the next 5-7 years if not longer.

So what is everyone's thoughts on Vinyl Wrap vs Paint?
  • My Awards Tuna Over 100cm Wahoo Over 120cm Dolphinfish Over 120cm Spanish Mackerel Over 120cm Mulloway Over 100cm Marlin Over 100cm Sand crab over 16cm Snapper Over 80cm Spotty Mackerel Over 80cm

• Offline Red

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 3098
    • -Receive: 2466
    • Whatever...
    Re: Opinions Wanted - Paint or Viynl Wrap
    « Reply #1 on: Sat 9 Nov 10:47 2019 »
    I've seen some horrible pitting under wraps on ally boats.

Cheers,
    Red

anything