Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Forum Errors  (Read 329 times)

Offline Nugget

• G'day G'day
  • Administrator
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3804
  • VK4FIX
Forum Errors
« on: Sun 1 Sep 11:57 2019 »
There's been quite a few database errors in the past few months.
The reason for this is the forum software is so old, it will not run properly on the current version of server software.
The  forum software version we use is not upgradeable, it has reached the end of its life and no longer supported.
The only fix is to install the latest version of the forum software, which is a biggy - none of the extras we have like awards, gallery etc etc will run on the new version, we'd need to start all over again.
I may be able to import some of the old... but not likely to be a success.

So for now, I'll keep putting bandaids on it, but it's not going to last forever.

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline Nugget

• G'day G'day
  • Administrator
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3804
  • VK4FIX
Re: Forum Errors
« Reply #1 on: Mon 2 Sep 18:21 2019 »
So the question is... do we start again or keep putting bandaids on this software?
Option A - A soft update where I try to use the same (but newer) software and try to import as much data as I can - membership etc. It still won't work on phones or integrate with social media as well as other software.

Option B - Or do we start again with new software, which means a new start, new registration etc. Some of the newer stuff has great integration with social media and works brilliantly with those that use their phone or tablet rather than a computer.

Or do we scrap the forum, change to Facebook, - end the monthly forum cost and headaches to me and moderators dealing with personality clashes etc?

We have some big things coming, slow as they are - new clubhouse etc, maybe it's time for a clean sweep and focus the forum on building the Club?

What do you all think? - PM in confidence if you don't want to say it publicly.

Offline Fishy mick

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 110
  • -Receive: 152
« Reply #2 on: Tue 3 Sep 08:03 2019 »
Option B for me Nugget. I dont use phone,tablet or Face Ache but it sounds like the right decision.
Dont be afraid to ask for $s if you need to. I dont know what the expenses are but your time is also valuable and you should be compensated. I believe others would agree  HOPEFULLY ! :)
Mick
Not all tools are usefull
Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason.

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline the other line

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #3 on: Wed 4 Sep 15:39 2019 »
Totally agree with fishy mick. a new website would be great but i know the time you put into building it and the monthly cost to keep it running.

My opinion is you should be charging $2 a year to cover all the costs. more than happy to contribute

anything