Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 129
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: The last couple of days at Marcoola including a decent Flathead  (Read 160 times)

Offline Lapras

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 140
  • -Receive: 357
The fishing has been very good to me over the last 5 days. 

Last Thursday I got a nice catch of 10 whiting on worms so on the Friday I thought I'd try for a late afternoon flathead using pillies and was rewarded with a nice 57cm model plus a smaller 40cm fish which went back.  That night we had drinks at the beach with some locals and the subject of soft plastics was discussed.  I don't use plastics much but thought I'd give them a go Saturday since the surf was so flat.   I only managed two small lizards and dropped a couple (also small I'm guessing) but really enjoyed walking and flicking in near perfect conditions so will have to try them more often.

Tomorrow I'm catching up with my mother who loves whiting so the pressure was on today to get a few fish for her.  I headed down just after low tide and things started ominously when I struggled to find any worms.  I'm not sure if it was the wind or the temperature but I had to cover a fair amount of ground before I found a patch of them.

The fishing was also fickle with lots of good looking gutters and "hooks" and very few fish.  Mid afternoon I hit a bit of a purple patch and ended the day with 8 whiting so Mum will be happy.

Have fun,

Dave
  • My Awards Sand crab over 16cm
  • The following members said thank you for your post