Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Replacing the Floor in my Boat  (Read 432 times)

Offline blairv

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 544
Replacing the Floor in my Boat
« on: Fri 26 Jul 10:02 2019 »

Hey all. Thought I might share a project that I have been doing over the last few weeks. The floor on in my boat was getting fairly old and looking worse for wear so I decided to take the plunge and embark on building and fitting a new one. It was also a good opportunity to clean the bilge, replace the fuel line and check all the wiring to the bilge pumps, etc.

After a bit of research, I decided not to go for carpet again as I was sick of the cleaning hassle and instead went for a teak look EVA foam as I had seen this on a friends boat and it was quite impressive.

The base material was 12mm marine ply which I coated in Everdure Primer and Sealer for waterproofing.

One I have waterproofed it all and checked fitting I gave the floor two coats of 2 Pac undercoat in white - Norglass Shipshape Primer Undercoat. I was pretty happy with how this ended up looking at this stage and got to securing the floor to the frame using SS screws and Tefgel to stop the corrosion. I also added Sika to the screw holes through the floorboards.

I also took the opportunity to replace the old manky flotation under the floor as well, replacing the polystyrene with closed-cell foam. I also replaced all the under gunnel foam at the same time. There was a clear lack of flotation in the boat so I was glad to get the new stuff in there.

Around the border of the floor, I fitted neoprene foam tape to stop any rubbing between the floor and the hull. This also helps stop stuff falling down into the hull underneath.

Once I had fitted the floor, I lifted it again and applied the EVA foam over the top. The rolls of foam have a 3M adhesive backing and are extremely sticky. After a few false starts, I got it all sorted and refitted the finished floor into the boat. I was getting short on the foam at this stage so had to be a bit creative to use the offcuts for the floor hatches.

Overall I am pretty happy with the result - it looks a lot better and the floor is nice and stable. It is also easy to clean and there is no fish stink that you end up with if you have carpet
  • My Awards Tuna Over 100cm Wahoo Over 120cm Dolphinfish Over 120cm Spanish Mackerel Over 120cm Mulloway Over 100cm Marlin Over 100cm Sand crab over 16cm Spotty Mackerel Over 80cm Snapper Over 80cm
  • The following members said thank you for your post

Offline MSB

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 185
    • -Receive: 117
    Re: Replacing the Floor in my Boat
    « Reply #1 on: Fri 26 Jul 12:38 2019 »
    awesome post mate, good read
    MSB

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline rosco

• Global Moderator
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1188
    • -Receive: 1278
    • Club Treasurer
    « Reply #2 on: Fri 26 Jul 15:27 2019 »
    Hi,

Looks good and gives you the satisfaction that you know it was done properly. Good work.

Cheers,

Ross
  • My Awards Cobia Over 100cm

Offline erudition

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 46
    • -Receive: 78
    « Reply #3 on: Fri 26 Jul 17:49 2019 »
    It looks brilliant!  Well done!

Offline neptune

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 62
    • -Receive: 51
    « Reply #4 on: Fri 26 Jul 22:26 2019 »
    Looks great... whatís the cost of doing a job like that if you donít mind me asking?

Offline blairv

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 22
    • -Receive: 544
    « Reply #5 on: Sat 27 Jul 06:00 2019 »
    Looks great... whatís the cost of doing a job like that if you donít mind me asking?

I would say a rough guide would be $500-$600. Bear in mind that was for the wood, paint, waterproofing, EVA foam, new fuel line, screws etc and the floatation ($150.00 alone).

You could do it cheaper but I thought once I had the floor up I would get it all done properly.
  • My Awards Tuna Over 100cm Wahoo Over 120cm Dolphinfish Over 120cm Spanish Mackerel Over 120cm Mulloway Over 100cm Marlin Over 100cm Sand crab over 16cm Spotty Mackerel Over 80cm Snapper Over 80cm

Offline beach bum

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1256
    • -Receive: 825
    • fishing use a lure. Catching take live bait
    « Reply #6 on: Sun 28 Jul 16:00 2019 »
    That looks awesome what are the sheet sizes
    Looking forward to the next trip

Offline Mitchell Bierge

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 352
    • -Receive: 566
    « Reply #7 on: Mon 29 Jul 18:17 2019 »
    Looks very nice well done

Mitch
  • My Awards Whiting Over 40cm Spanish Mackerel Over 150cm Tuna Over 120cm Cod (saltwater All) Over 80cm Sand crab over 16cm Tuna Over 100cm Spotty Mackerel Over 80cm Snapper Over 80cm

•  

anything