Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Tailor on nth straddie.  (Read 1637 times)

Offline Marburg Muddie

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Tailor on nth straddie.
« on: Mon 10 Jun 19:16 2019 »
Guys, i have never fished straddie. When do the bream and tailor come in.
Im used to Rainbow Beach years ago

Offline frankiedafisherman

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 19
Re: Tailor on nth straddie.
« Reply #1 on: Wed 12 Jun 11:45 2019 »
Havent fished the beaches off straddie for a while now. Used to get a few tailor on the beach along from adder rock early morning incoming tide a s few bream dart.  Along main beach up to the pin plenty of good gutters so id say give it a go there.  I use pillues and always done well with 4 gang rig. Hearing reports that the tailor are starting to run. Good luck muddie

Offline cus

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 111
  • -Receive: 103
« Reply #2 on: Fri 21 Jun 14:32 2019 »
Hey there Marburg Muddie, I reckon they will be thick in July/ August on the beaches. Only problem is the mullet netters will be flogging the beaches from now till September.
Some guys reckon the nets donít bother tailor. I have other ideas.
  • My Awards Tailor Over 70cm

• Offline TheGurn

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Receive: 36
    « Reply #3 on: Sat 22 Jun 17:53 2019 »
    My brother just came back from a 4 day tailor trip to moreton. He only got one in what used to be prime time! And he knows what he's doing with tailor. Been fishing for them for 30 years.
    Thank you to all beach netters. It's dead from years of abuse feeding bloody cats with mullet and tailor.
    A real shame and disappointment that the current review has done nothing to address this debacle in popular tourist destinations close to heavily populated areas. I mean really... when was the last time you or anyone you know bought a piece of mullet from a shop? Other than for bait. Or tailor that are only worth keeping for a few days and aren't worth eating after freezing?
    Where do the many tons of these fish end up?

Damn. On my soapbox again.
    Sorry. Just sadly remembering the beaches that were black with schools of both not that long ago.

RIP rec tailor fishery.

« Last Edit: Sat 22 Jun 18:53 2019 by TheGurn »

Offline Fanta Pants

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Receive: 6
    « Reply #4 on: Wed 10 Jul 13:14 2019 »
    Firstly Mullet.....
    Plenty of it gets sold locally. If fact I don't know of many seafood outlets that wouldn't be selling mullet at this time of the year. Once all the local markets are full, the remainder of the fish gets exported to many European countries and pacific islands. It is considered a staple food in many parts of the world. If fact the mullet fishery is one of the best in terms of complete utilisation of the resource. The roe and to a lesser extent the melts, get exported as a high value product. Our east coast mullet roe is considered the best in the world in terms of quality which is rightly rewarded. All catches are processed on mass and even all the presumed wastage, including the heads and guts are utilised for bait.

Tailor.....
    The days of the old cat food theories are long gone and anyone who truly believes this are heavily misguided. There is actually a high local demand for fresh tailor in our area. A lot of it is sold through the multiple Asian markets we have in and around Brisbane. There is also a high demand in southern markets. As a result, the price of tailor has gone through the roof in recent years and quiet often the price exceeds what you would expect to pay for some high quality reef fish (and I'm not even joking when I say that). I doubt the pros are the real reason why your mate couldn't catch any tailor. The professional beach fisherman are all heavily concentrating on mullet this time of the year (with minimal bycatch). Maybe they are just late this year? The mullet season was a good 3 weeks late (likely due to environmental conditions) so I don't see why tailor would be any different. Maybe they're not making it up this far on their annual migration? Maybe their spawning further south than the traditional Fraser Island locality due to adverse environmental conditions in recent years (i.e. warmer water pushing further south)?

On a side note: there aren't many professional fisherman left who actively chase tailor off our beaches anymore. The 35cm minimum size limit effectively halved their catch. A lot of the early season schooling fish are between 30-35cm rendering them undersize so therefore are not worth shooting.

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline rodric

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 58
    • -Receive: 27
    « Reply #5 on: Wed 10 Jul 16:03 2019 »
    Well said,some common sense prevailing !!

Offline TheGurn

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #6 on: Wed 10 Jul 19:46 2019 »
    Point taken. Huge market for bait and to feed international markets with cheap fake caviar and cures for coughs, colds, sore holes and flaccid members.
    Doesn't change what has happened to the multiple schools of fish that used to blacken the beach gutters years ago.
    You could nearly walk on them they were that thick. Day after day.
    It has been many years since I or anyone I know has seen them like that on many surf beaches north of moreton island that I know of. I can't comment on beaches further south. I don't go there. And just a coincidence the tailor have thinned out proportionally to the mullet I guess.
    But I'm obviously misinformed. My memory must be shot to hell in my old age.

Cheers

Edit: The catfood comment was a result of a question I asked a pro quite a few years ago when I saw a huge bin (forklift size) full of fish at moreton island that had been sitting in the sun at Bulwer for quite a while. I asked (not in a smart ar$# way) if it would be better if there was some ice on them or at least covered. He said "Cats aren't that fussy".
    I suppose he might have just been having a bad day.

Cheers
    « Last Edit: Wed 10 Jul 22:00 2019 by TheGurn »

Offline bondy99

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 5137
    • -Receive: 2040
    « Reply #7 on: Wed 10 Jul 23:11 2019 »
    Mullet Roe commands a high price for the markets in Saudi Arabia as well as Iran , not as much for mullet melt.

NSW still has mullet fisherman, (father to son generations). In the not too distant future Australian Salmon will make its way to dinner plate, for those that reckon Australian Salmon are crap tasting, it's obviously the fish has not been processed and prepared correctly. Cottage River Australia had a segment of this on air tonight, showing correct way to prepare and couple of ways to prepare, even sashimi style.

Bondy
  • My Awards Dolphinfish Over 120cm Whiting Over 40cm Sand crab over 16cm
  • The following members said thank you for your post

Offline TheGurn

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #8 on: Thu 11 Jul 09:22 2019 »
    And I offer no apology if it seems I have a personal vendetta against beach netters.
    Back in the days when you could catch tailor at rainbow beach I had found a small school by myself just north of rainbow. I'd just caught a couple when along comes the boats who shot their net in an arc either side of me. I was caught fishing inside their net.
    Over comes Mr Pleasant himself and tells me to fu#! off coz I'm interfering with his  operation.
    Me..?  Hold a grudge.?
    Damn straight!!
    Hope that ar$#hole went broke and all his boats sank!!

Edit:
    Oh. And I'm not really surprised that chasing tailor commercially is not as viable as it once was,  regardless of size limits. Environmental coincidental bad luck for all it seems.
    « Last Edit: Thu 11 Jul 18:06 2019 by TheGurn »

Offline Daryl McPhee

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 2321
    • -Receive: 2475
    • Club Awards:
      2012 Heaviest Bream
      2015 Inshore Champion
    « Reply #9 on: Fri 12 Jul 13:37 2019 »
    Here is some up to date scientific information on tailor stocks. I have over 30 years experience now catching tailor and I continue not to have any problems catching tailor when and where I want, and making choices based on the weather and wind conditions at the time.

I use old methods such as bait spinning which were pioneered by Len Thompson in the 60s. It is no longer a method that the cool kids use much, but it remains effective.

https://www.fish.gov.au/report/215-Tailor-2018
  • My Awards Whiting Over 40cm
  • It's the Alvey Reel that Fills the Creel

Offline rodric

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 58
    • -Receive: 27
    « Reply #10 on: Fri 12 Jul 15:32 2019 »
    G'day there Daryl,

thanks for the informative report,hopefully other members of the group will have time to and make the effort to read the details provided.

After all these years,good to know we're still catching them !!!!

Cheers,

Rod.

Offline TheGurn

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #11 on: Fri 12 Jul 15:59 2019 »
    Yes. Thanks for that info Daryl. Although I have great respect for your credentials and experience, the commercial catch data seems contradictary to the average rec fishos experience. At least to those I talk to and read about.

The majority of tailor chasers I know including myself still use the old-school method of pillies and ganged hooks in past proven locations and conditions, yet all continue to have the opinion that 'it's nowhere near what it used to be'. This is normally but not solely limited to north of Straddy.

If tailor are as prevalent as years gone by, or on the improve as the data suggests, and recruitment and sustainability are not issues, why the need for an increased size limit? (Not that I'm against that).

Also, it would be interesting to see commercial catch data (and rec assumptions) colated in a 'micro management' area rather than the whole of Qld. For example at half way points... say NSW border to Straddy and from there to Fraser. Unfortunately the proposed Management Area 6 won't provide this unless there are other ways to drill down that aren't accessible or published. Perhaps, as suggested, traditional spawning sites have been pushed further south (below moreton island? ) due to environmental changes.

Or possibly they're being netted intensively nearer the border, or the tailor are still widespread, but simply not coming close enough to shore for the sinker slingers, yet are still in reach of the nets?

I understand you personally might not have noticed much difference, but would be interested in your thoughts (or any further data) regardless.

Cheers
    « Last Edit: Fri 12 Jul 18:12 2019 by TheGurn »

Offline TheGurn

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #12 on: Fri 12 Jul 16:49 2019 »
    Apologies to the op. Ask a simple question eh?

Offline TheGurn

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #13 on: Fri 12 Jul 21:26 2019 »
    On second thought, don't worry about it. These discussions just keep going round and round and resolve nothing. If its not tailor, it'll be black jew swim bladders or something else. It wont end and I'm just getting too old to care that much any more. Time to let the youngsters have a go.

Thanks all for the input.

Cheers

One final thought.
    The correlation assumed that increased commercial catches are good news for recs is hard for this old fart to fathom.
    « Last Edit: Sat 13 Jul 11:24 2019 by TheGurn »

Offline beach bum

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1249
    • -Receive: 820
    • fishing use a lure. Catching take live bait
    « Reply #14 on: Sat 13 Jul 15:21 2019 »
    Iím not really sure of your point you complain about pros netting the beach here but happily buy pillies netted by another pro on the other side of Australia???

In the end the tailor will only be around if thereís bait fish to eat. The seasons are roughly 3 weeks late compared to previous years. And I think the annual run of bait up the coast has been pushed back along with the amount of Rainfall and timing of cyclones all have an effect on if the bait will be there or not.

But I see guys useing heavy clunky rigs trying to catch a tailor that is usually a chopper of less than a kilo. Try going lighter with your rigs use local bait. You can get pillies that are from Straddie on Straddie if you want to use pillies.
    Looking forward to the next trip