Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: First Mud run for the year.  (Read 541 times)

Offline Freeeedom

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 947
  • -Receive: 2083
First Mud run for the year.
« on: Mon 10 Jun 14:55 2019 »
It's been more than 6 months since I've been to Mud, so, with a great forecast for the Bay today, I was looking forward to checking it out at last. Arrived at Mud about 6.30 and first item of business was to have a look for some tailor. That resulted in a complete doughnut, so on to item B on the agenda, which was to look for some of the oversize gar that I often get from Mud. There have been heaps of gar around Redcliffe lately, so I thought they might be on the go at Mud as well - but no such luck - I couldn't find a single one. My berley trail put down for the gar did bring in some bream though, and I worked them while waiting for the gar to arrive. The quality of the bream was pretty good and I ended up keeping fifteen, of which half were 30 plus cm, best was 34 cm. I released about the same number of unders, and strangely, all the unders were way under. I hardly caught a fish I had to measure. Left Mud about 11.00 and stopped for about 15 minutes at the Compass Adjustment Buoy to see if there were any winteries about yet, but all I caught was a stack of very tiny squire. Spoke to a guy at the ramp who'd also been to Mud. He had got one snapper about 65 cm, and also said that they were getting some winteries lately off Scarborough. Perfect conditions on the bay today. Came in around midday.
Cheers Freeeedom

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline Burger

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1353
  • -Receive: 505
Re: First Mud run for the year.
« Reply #1 on: Tue 11 Jun 20:25 2019 »
Well done Freedom, used to know an old tunnel netter and when he targeted bream he'd set his nets at mud. Always told me that he couldn't believe the amount and quality of them.

Offline mighty quinn

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 801
  • -Receive: 1518
« Reply #2 on: Wed 12 Jun 08:04 2019 »
Nice feed of bream there John,I fished for winteries Monday around the Cockle banks  plenty there size is 21-22cm at the moment,that crappy black weeds a problem in spots,the Long Tail have been smashing Gar in the passage some days and not the next,there was a nice Long tail landed off the jetty last week on a Gar bait,and plenty of pots still being set outside the bridge but no report on if they are catching anything.
Cheers
MQ
  • My Awards Sand crab over 16cm
  • The following members said thank you for your post

Offline Freeeedom

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 947
    • -Receive: 2083
    « Reply #3 on: Wed 12 Jun 09:22 2019 »
    Thanks MQ. I've been wondering how the sandies were going. I was fishing off Redcliffe last week and had a big crowd of gar in the berley trail and a couple of big pelagics of some sort smashed them up a couple of times. I didn't get a close enough look at them for a positive ID but my guess was they were yellowtail kings - they looked a little bit too long and thin to be tuna. The next time I was out there I had a live herring under a float all morning - just in case. Wouldn't you know it - no gar and no pelagics. Next time!
    Cheers Freeeedom

Offline mighty quinn

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 801
    • -Receive: 1518
    « Reply #4 on: Wed 12 Jun 09:38 2019 »
    Also a report of reasonable tailor at the mouth of the Caboolture,I had not meet the informant before but other stuff he was telling me added up so I would take him at his word.
  • My Awards Sand crab over 16cm
  • The following members said thank you for your post

Offline Danny

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 23
    • -Receive: 17
    « Reply #5 on: Thu 13 Jun 13:29 2019 »
    Went out to the cockle banks this morning.the winter whiting were pretty easy to find  but not much size to them average about 20cm mark.put some pots out on the the way between the yellow beacon and cockle banks each has a couple of sandy's  but all undersize. Beautiful day out.Danny

anything