Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Chinaman  (Read 771 times)

Offline mighty quinn

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 833
  • -Receive: 1548
Chinaman
« on: Fri 7 Jun 15:42 2019 »
While waiting for the tide at one of my snapper spots last evening I was talking with a bloke that fished it last week for a nice fish, he also showed me a photo of a decent adult Chinaman one of apparently a double hook up in the passage.
I know little of them except they are no take,I wouldn't have expected to run across them here.
Anyone else seeing them in there catch? 
  • My Awards Sand crab over 16cm
  • The following members said thank you for your post

Offline Mitchell Bierge

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 352
    • -Receive: 566
    Re: Chinaman
    « Reply #1 on: Fri 7 Jun 18:19 2019 »
    I have caught few them in area of the bay fishing the  rous channel & around peel island but as you know reason why they are no take because of the ciguatera  poisoning similar get from eatening bigger Spanish mackerel becuase when they eat the smaller reef fish in which they feed on the Dinoflagellates like marine  plankton / plant 

But the strange thing is when was working in Western Australia  couple years caught few chairman fish & where allowed to eat them apperanlty they don't get the Ciguatera poisoning  honestly pretty good eating fish   photo attached one from WA

Mitch
  • My Awards Whiting Over 40cm Tuna Over 120cm Spanish Mackerel Over 150cm Cod (saltwater All) Over 80cm Sand crab over 16cm Tuna Over 100cm Spotty Mackerel Over 80cm Snapper Over 80cm
  • The following members said thank you for your post

Offline MSB

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 193
    • -Receive: 119
    Re: Chinaman
    « Reply #2 on: Fri 7 Jun 18:46 2019 »
    While waiting for the tide at one of my snapper spots last evening I was talking with a bloke that fished it last week for a nice fish, he also showed me a photo of a decent adult Chinaman one of apparently a double hook up in the passage.
    I know little of them except they are no take,I wouldn't have expected to run across them here.
    Anyone else seeing them in there catch?
    Hi MQ
    caught plenty of them in Cairns, they go like hell, nickname in NQ in gallopers

The following members said thank you for your post