Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Cast netting at Colmslie rumour  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Red

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3091
  • -Receive: 2464
  • Whatever...
Cast netting at Colmslie rumour
« on: Thu 23 May 10:48 2019 »
Rumour only at this stage, but a customer of mine today told me that there was much talk about the banning of cast netting at the Colmslie pontoon.
'Not sure about the probability of this...The council has no authority over the use of the ramp or pontoon, and Harbours, etc who have the authority over anything below high tide line can't readily tell you where and where you can't chuck a net, unless for environmental reasons.

'Anyone heard different?

Red

Offline MSB

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 188
  • -Receive: 119
Re: Cast netting at Colmslie rumour
« Reply #1 on: Thu 23 May 13:05 2019 »

Rumour only at this stage, but a customer of mine today told me that there was much talk about the banning of cast netting at the Colmslie pontoon.
'Not sure about the probability of this...The council has no authority over the use of the ramp or pontoon, and Harbours, etc who have the authority over anything below high tide line can't readily tell you where and where you can't chuck a net, unless for environmental reasons.

'Anyone heard different?

Red

Hi Red
Heard nothing about Colmslie, however a number of years back, fishing and cast netting were banned on the jetty at Manly because of all the grubs that left a mess everywhere and people started complaining about it, Bribie jetty is a bloody disgrace from all the crap left on it by grubs as well, so nothing will surprise me
MSB
« Last Edit: Thu 23 May 13:46 2019 by Nugget »

Offline mighty quinn

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 826
  • -Receive: 1545
« Reply #2 on: Fri 24 May 08:15 2019 »
Hi Red
Heard nothing about Colmslie, however a number of years back, fishing and cast netting were banned on the jetty at Manly because of all the grubs that left a mess everywhere and people started complaining about it, Bribie jetty is a bloody disgrace from all the crap left on it by grubs as well, so nothing will surprise me
MSB
There has been a real blitz on that jetty since the re decking,cast netting is now ban along with most other things and there are regular visits from Fisheries and local rangers and they are red hot i'm told no warnings here,lots of squid around at the moment their ink works really well with the new whitish surfaces.Smile if you are out there cameras everywhere,can't wait to see them trying to enforce the no diving or jumping off the jetty next summer.
We got the pontoon back up by the Bribie Rescue it was owned by Main Roads,it failed due to sand penetrating the hinges I'm sure that will be put that down to people fishing off it and the odd cast netter me. LOL.
We also have Pelican control on the bridge lights now some crude lump of steel bar that is designed to be uncomfortable on the birds ring. 
  • My Awards Sand crab over 16cm
  • The following members said thank you for your post

Offline bondy99

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 5172
    • -Receive: 2053
    « Reply #3 on: Fri 24 May 19:13 2019 »
    I can let you know this much, due to certain people who keep rubbishing the Colmslie pontoon by leaving mud and other crap and not bothering to clean up after themselves had created a slip and fall hazard. The pontoon does come under the jurisdiction of Brisbane City Council , something to do with Parks and Recreation. There has been a Rapid Action Response Team set up that has conducted patrols and have spoken to about a dozen or so people. This might be the reason that closure of that pontoon might be a reality at some point in time. At this point in time its a wait and see what happens.

Bondy
  • My Awards Dolphinfish Over 120cm Whiting Over 40cm Sand crab over 16cm

• Offline bondy99

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #4 on: Fri 24 May 19:18 2019 »
    This is the reply from Brisbane City Council - Re Colmslie Pontoon

My team has conducted several patrols over the past couple of weeks and have educated more than 2 dozen people with regards to the activities being conducted and the local law involved, all parties took the education on board and moved from this area to a legal place to fish. We have seen a reduction in the numbers over recent patrols and we will continue to monitor the area proactively when officers are available and in the area

Regards

Martin Holroyd

Rapid Response Officer | Rapid Response Group | Compliance and Regulatory Services

Lifestyle and Community Services | BRISBANE CITY COUNCIL

• Offline saph

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1
    • -Receive: 14
    « Reply #5 on: Sat 25 May 05:12 2019 »
    Have to wonder their logic on this because from the brisbane council site its got fishing allowed but yet the details dont show that theres no fishing there?

Colmslie Reserve, Morningside
    Venue address   Colmslie Reserve, 420 Lytton Road, Morningside
    Description   Also known as Colmslie Recreation Reserve.
    Region   East
    Park facilities   Barbecue - electric, Barbecue - wood, Boat ramp, Car park, Dog off-leash area, Fishing platform, Picnic area, Playground, Sporting field, Toilet, Water
    Features   Dog park size 2,476 square metres.

Dog park facilities - bench seats, bubbler, tap, dog water, agility/dog exercise equipment, poo bin, rubbish bin, lights
    Boat ramp facilities   Single boat ramp, Single pontoon
    Boat ramp information   Colmslie Reserve Boat Ramp
    Colmslie Pontoon (boat ramp access pontoon)
    NOTE: There is a fishing platform at this location as well.

https://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/things-to-see-and-do/outdoor-activities/boating-canoeing-and-fishing/boat-ramps-canoe-ramps-and-pontoons#/?i=2
    Of course I talk to my self while fishing.. sometimes I need expert advice!

On land line is a inanimate object. Under water it has a life of its own.

Offline Red

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 3091
    • -Receive: 2464
    • Whatever...
    « Reply #6 on: Sat 25 May 09:30 2019 »
    I know for a fact that some members of the public that may or may not be well known to me have challenged said authority of council officers and offered them a swimming lesson...at night. I would be surprised if this was recorded by said officer.
    Police were called and it was deemed that council had no authority on that occasion. Again..I would be surprised if this was recorded by said officer.
    There IS a fishing platform nearby...but it's not the pontoon.

I haven't been near the area for...maybe a year, that's why I was asking.

Red

Offline mighty quinn

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #7 on: Sat 25 May 13:24 2019 »
    Giday Red I can't see that the ramp and pontoon won't be owned by Main Road as is my local Bribie one,there seams to be some cooperation up here with council regarding general house hold maintenance,clearing sand and mud from the ramp ect whether or not that's a formal arrangement or not I don't know.
    The jetty though appears to be Council.

• Offline bondy99

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #8 on: Sat 25 May 14:09 2019 »
    instead of hearsay I'll go out of my way and take a photo of the signage and put up here for everyone to see. One can then speculate after that. Mighty Quinn I'm surprised you have not done this yet.

• Offline mighty quinn

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #9 on: Sun 26 May 17:17 2019 »
    What would you like a photo of Bondy I'll see what I can do.
    Side note: and this scares me,the bloke over the road from me was after some lives last week and with the jetty now off limits to cast nets he headed to wrights creek at White Patch he and his mate were walking down when they were approached by a ranger and asked their intention,answer: cast netting some live bait
    Ranger:not here you're not,cast netting is prohibited in this area.
    No sign up well not that I know of, something else for me to check.
    I've cast netted that creek for 2 or 3 years now the ranger have never blinked an eye in the past.

• Offline bondy99

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #10 on: Sun 26 May 22:27 2019 »
    Mighty Quinn the photo I was going to take is the signage that says no netting, fishing and swimming. Also signage that states Colmslie Pontoon comes under Brisbane City Council. From what I read, it appears no one believes it is under Brisbane City Council.

With reference to the bloke you mentioned, unless its stated on the bridge or signage prior to walking on the bridge, pontoon or jetty then its hearsay. If something happened and it became a court matter I'm certain the Magistrate would be looking at the facts and evidence as for signage.

• Offline mighty quinn

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #11 on: Mon 27 May 09:10 2019 »
    Mighty Quinn the photo I was going to take is the signage that says no netting, fishing and swimming. Also signage that states Colmslie Pontoon comes under Brisbane City Council. From what I read, it appears no one believes it is under Brisbane City Council.

With reference to the bloke you mentioned, unless its stated on the bridge or signage prior to walking on the bridge, pontoon or jetty then its hearsay. If something happened and it became a court matter I'm certain the Magistrate would be looking at the facts and evidence as for signage.
    Owned and under the control of may be two different things and confusing the issue here,this goes some way to explaining what goes on in QLD
     https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Projects/Name/R/Recreational-boating-facilities
    On wrights creek I took a run up there this morning to check the signage to see if I'd missed anything or for new signage regarding cast nets,this is all there is.No camping No fires No littering.I must ask the bloke across the road if they were contemplating throwing off the causeway, for that there would be bye laws.I will continue to cast from the bank there I reckon you are on the money regarding no signage.
    I'll get a pic of the signage from the jetty next time i'm in the area.
    Cheers MQ
  • The following members said thank you for your post

Offline mangajack

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 69
    • -Receive: 170
    « Reply #12 on: Mon 27 May 19:39 2019 »
    What would you like a photo of Bondy I'll see what I can do.
    Side note: and this scares me,the bloke over the road from me was after some lives last week and with the jetty now off limits to cast nets he headed to wrights creek at White Patch he and his mate were walking down when they were approached by a ranger and asked their intention,answer: cast netting some live bait
    Ranger:not here you're not,cast netting is prohibited in this area.
    No sign up well not that I know of, something else for me to check.
    I've cast netted that creek for 2 or 3 years now the ranger have never blinked an eye in the past.
    In the early 80's there was a effort by authorities to keep people out of that creek upstream of the bridge. My mates and I got ushered out of there twice.

Offline Pomhoop

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 7
    • -Receive: 7
    • West London Boy trying to fish the Ozzie way.
    « Reply #13 on: Mon 17 Jun 21:17 2019 »
    I bought my first cast net today.  I'm going to have a bash on the Caboolture River near me. Are there any bans on it I should know about?

anything