Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 143
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: First Iluka trip for 2019  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Freeeedom

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 964
  • -Receive: 2149
First Iluka trip for 2019
« on: Wed 15 May 17:14 2019 »
Just got back from my first week at Iluka for this 'winter'. Had good weather for the first three days before the wind kicked around to the south and produced swells that shut down the Bluff for the next three days. Caught some nice fish, mostly bream (best 38cm) and tarwhine (best 42cm) off the front of the Bluff on the dawn sessions. Most days there were at least a couple of guys throwing lures for tailor or GT's, and I had my spin gear ready if anything showed, but I did not see a single pelagic fish caught all week. The only pelagic I saw was when I was filleting my morning's catch at the filleting tables at the boat ramp at the western end of Spenser Street when three young guys came over with a nice Spanish mackerel that I estimated to be about 12kg. I thought they must have been offshore trolling, but they had got it while spearfishing around the shallow rocks in Shark Bay. I tried the main wall once for bream, and was berleying pretty heavily to try to draw and hold a crowd, but all I got was a big school of small sweep and butter bream. I only managed three bream in that session, but there was some excitement because from time to time a couple of big longtail tuna would smash through the baitfish at a hundred miles an hour sending them scattering in all directions right below my feet. I had a couple of sessions walking the bank up at Brown's Rocks looking for lizards. The best result was eight lizards for five keepers, the best 48cm. Overall it was a pretty good week and the rellies got a feed.  The mullet run hasn't started yet and the bream haven't even started to fill out with roe. Hopefully when I go down there next in late June the run of winter fish will be well underway.
Cheers Freeeedom

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline bondy99

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5156
  • -Receive: 2042
Re: First Iluka trip for 2019
« Reply #1 on: Wed 15 May 19:06 2019 »
G'day John,

Nice mixed bag, wont be long before luderick turns up. Do any leatherjackets frequent the spot you go to?

Hopefully you got new rockhopper boots since.

Cheers,
Peter
  • My Awards Dolphinfish Over 120cm Whiting Over 40cm Sand crab over 16cm
  • The following members said thank you for your post

Offline Freeeedom

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #2 on: Thu 16 May 03:49 2019 »
    Hi Peter. No, I've never caught a leatherjacket down there. I don't know if there aren't any there or if I'm using hooks that are too large for their small mouths - I use 3/0 suicide hooks when fishing the washes for the big bream and tarwhine because I'm likely to hook some examples of larger species like jew, GT's or even a decent pig and I want to have a chance of landing them.
    I meant to apologise for the poor quality of the pictures from this trip. I've been caught before when I got out my digital camera to record a decent catch only to be greeted by the message 'Charge the battery pack'. So this time I made sure I put the charger in with my headlamps etc. Only problem was that I forgot to put the camera in!!!!! So the pictures were taken with my cell phone, which is getting a bit like me - old, tired and slower every time!
    Cheers Freeeedom
    Oh yeah - I do have a new pair of rock boots but I haven't got them wet yet. I'm waiting for the right conditions at Iluka to try them out on the luderick!

Offline Fishy mick

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 104
    • -Receive: 145
    « Reply #3 on: Thu 16 May 12:24 2019 »
    You never seem to miss out on a feed John. That is a good looking catch. What do you use for burley ? If its a secret,just whisper it in my ear so no one else will hear.:)
    Mick
    Not all tools are usefull
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason.

Offline Freeeedom

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #4 on: Thu 16 May 12:53 2019 »
    You never seem to miss out on a feed John. That is a good looking catch. What do you use for burley ? If its a secret,just whisper it in my ear so no one else will hear.:)
    Mick
    I use a mixture of laying pellets and white breadcrumbs (stale bread put through the food processor) plus a bit of tuna oil or other fish oil (from tins of sardines, smoked oysters etc). This will disperse quite well from a berley bucket as a slow but continuous stream as the chicken pellets take quite a while to absorb the water and break down. Alternatively, when I'm fishing from rocks about five metres above the water, like the Iluka wall, I mix up a batch of berley in a large zip lock bag and add a couple of cups of water to it. By the time I get to the fishing spot the pellets have absorbed all the water and gone fairly soft so that you can grab a handful of the mix and squeeze it into a ball. This allows you to throw it into a specific location and a fair bit of it will hold together and sink so you get your berley right down the water column to the bottom. I don't mind if it attracts crowds of baitfish at the surface because there are usually some bigger predators beneath all the little guys.
    Cheers Freeeedom

Offline suerob

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 73
    • -Receive: 127
    « Reply #5 on: Thu 16 May 15:58 2019 »
    hopefully sea bream and tailor have moved in by the start of june, we are down there for a week for 1st june

Offline Fishy mick

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #6 on: Thu 16 May 16:13 2019 »
    Thanks for that John.  I did know that a long time ago but proceeded to forget it. You did tell me previously. Thats a huge Tarwine,were you sticking with your favourite prawns for bait?
    Mick

Offline Freeeedom

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #7 on: Fri 17 May 04:10 2019 »
    Yes Mick. Medium bananas, cooked because of the white spot restrictions, which also makes them a firmer bait which stays on the hook longer in the rough conditions of the washes around the headland.
    Cheers Freeeedom

Offline Fishy mick

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #8 on: Fri 17 May 08:08 2019 »
    Thanks John
     Did you find any real difference between cooked and fresh prawns? I rarely use prawns for bait which maybe why I dont catch anywhere near as many fish as you do :) When I do use prawns the fish seem to steal them almost as soon as they hit the water. Probably little pickers.
    Do you peel them or use them with shell on? I usually peel them.
    I am going fishing this week end and will try some cooked prawns as well as my flesh baits.
    Thanks again John
    Mick

Offline Freeeedom

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #9 on: Fri 17 May 12:41 2019 »
    I prefer the freshly caught whole prawns when fishing the Pine for bream and flathead, but I always use cooked ones at Iluka, regardless of the white spot restrictions, because they are much firmer and survive the washing machine conditions much better. If I'm hoping to get a jew in the washes, I'll use a big whole prawn, rigged so it sits straight and work it back through the water like a swimming prawn. This rig will also produce the odd trevally and other less common species. If I'm just targeting bream and tarwhine I'll often peel it and let it settle into the rocks. Even though it will inevitably snag very quickly you just have to be patient and wait until a fish takes it and lifts it off the rocks and most times you'll get your gear back safely.
    Cheers Freeeedom

Offline Fishy mick

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #10 on: Fri 17 May 15:24 2019 »
    Thanks John. You are true fishing gentleman.
    Mick

Offline Freeeedom

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #11 on: Wed 26 Jun 14:27 2019 »
    Just got back from another week at Iluka. Was a bit disappointing due to the weather which was dominated by fairly constant SW to SE winds, and showers for the last couple of days. This restricted my fishing to mostly sheltered or semi-sheltered locations, resulting in fish of lesser quality than I would usually catch there. I only managed one morning session from the front of the Bluff, during which I caught some of the better fish of the trip. I still caught enough fish to keep me happy - bream were the main catch with fewer and smaller tarwhine than usual and only the odd flathead, but I didn't catch any fish worth a photograph. I was concerned on my first drive into the Bluff to see signs saying 'this area will be closed on Monday 24th and Tuesday 25th for road works'. On Monday and Tuesday there were showers about and there was no sign of the road workers. It was blowing pretty hard, so I couldn't have fished it anyway. As I left Iluka this morning I drove past the Bluff road and the workers were just setting up. At least the roads should be better for my next visit.
    Cheers Freeeedom

anything