Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Retiring  (Read 677 times)

Offline Nugget

• G'day G'day
  • Administrator
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3773
  • VK4FIX
Retiring
« on: Wed 15 May 09:41 2019 »
I turned 60 last November, retiring was not something I planned right now, but circumstances changed rather abruptly in January, as a result Kerry and I have decided to take the opportunity and retire from full time work.
We received notice from the Main Roads Department they are resuming our house and land to build the ĎCoomera Bypass Corridor which will pass through our lounge room, then split, one road swinging west to join up with the Logan Motorway, the other east over the Logan River around Wharf Rd to join Mount Cotton Road.
After 35 years at the same address itís a kick in the teeth being told they are taking your home.
The worst part is that we have not been given a time frame for the development or been made any offer on the property, only that they are taking it Ďat some future dateí.
We had planned to sell up and retire in a few years but as a result of this resumption order, we can not sell so we're left in limbo until they decide to start the development.
Rather than live under this Ďshadowí, Kerry and I have bought six acres just outside Burrum Heads.
This is a good central location - around 30 minutes to Lenthals Dam and 60 minutes to Monduran Dam for freshwater fishing, only minutes from the mouth of the Burrum and Isis rivers, Woodgate for prawning as well as great fishing in Hervey Bay.
My involvement in the Club and new Clubhouse will not change, Iíll be back here for every weigh-in BBQ as per normal (doing a Benarkin) and hopefully some members will come up for a fish as well.
I will endeavour to keep the forum going exactly as it is now, but I cannot guarantee that will happen.
With hosting costs, software subscriptions and security tokens, the forum costs me around $200 a month, Google Adwords pay around $50 a month so I pay $150 a month to keep the doors open, and have done for more than 10 years which equates to almost $20,000 since I kicked it off.
I could change to cheaper or free hosting and skimp on other options but one of the reasons this forum has not been hacked or collapsed like most others is because I have not taken the cheap way out, always paid for the best available.
$150 a month is not a lot when youíre working but it may become a strain with no income, time will tell.
For this reason I would advise you all to join our Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/groups/NuggetFishing
We have nearly 500 members, itís free for me to run and you to use.
It allows easy phone access, instant upload of images while you're fishing and is the best way to share information and photos.
Yes Iíve heard enough anti Facebook criticism to last me a lifetime - if you object, donít join, thatís your choice, please donít whinge about it here.
For those that want anonymity, itís very easy to set up a completely fake profile that has no links to you - exactly as you have done here with the forum.
There are also plenty of ways to protect your privacy if you take the time to learn Facebook, FB Purity is also a great way to trim all the ads and unwanted crap as well.
I will not be repairing or building rods for the time being, I may start up again in the Hervey Bay region in the future.
Let me reiterate - Iím not closing the forum at this stage, I will try to keep it going.
Some good news - our Clubhouse is now locked in concrete - we have a lease.
Because of the abolition of the Logan Council, there will be delays, but weíre confident it will progress and hope to start digging dirt in the next few months.
Weíve had soil testers, services locators, engineers and Council planners on site crossing all the Tís and dotting the Iís.
We have secured some major funding thanks to Councillor Darren Power (one of the honest Logan Councillors) ó everything is full steam ahead for what will be a major benefit for members and the fishing community in general.
With more time on my hands as a result of retiring, we have some great things planned - social events, seminars, fun fishing comps, a major annual fishing classic, camping trips etc etc - we just need you to get involved.
Stay tuned, weíll keep you up to date as things develop.

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline MSB

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 155
  • -Receive: 110
Re: Retiring
« Reply #1 on: Wed 15 May 17:47 2019 »
Hi Nugget
Sorry to hear the spot you find yourself in Nugget, my wifes Mum & Dad went through the same situation and he had just retired with little savings and living on the pension,  save stressing and sitting on their hands waiting to see if and when the project starts, they rented there place out so they had an income + some pension, and moved to Golden Beach and bought one half of a Duplex and never looked back, I realise your not pension age but the income will help, its crap that the powers that be can do that to you, price of progress they say, hey, it is what it is Nugget, don't let it do your head in, and I hope it all works out for you and your wife.
MSB

Offline paulg

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1344
  • -Receive: 708
  • Where are the PRAWNS
« Reply #2 on: Wed 15 May 18:52 2019 »
hi nugget sorry to hear about the house, a lot of memories in that house (remember when you set it alight whilst welding in the garage). do you have a map showing roads of the bypass as my mum lives quite close to you
  • My Awards Sand crab over 16cm Spanish Mackerel Over 120cm Red Throat Sweetlip Over 50cm Coral Trout (all) Over 60cm
  • Bring on Prawn Season

Offline saph

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1
    • -Receive: 14
    « Reply #3 on: Wed 15 May 19:04 2019 »
    Sucks to hear about the house hope your getting some legal help to get the cash on it back as you are allowed to do https://www.qld.gov.au/law/your-rights/legal-and-property-rights/government-land-acquisition-and-resumption
    Of course I talk to my self while fishing.. sometimes I need expert advice!

On land line is a inanimate object. Under water it has a life of its own.

Offline Nugget

• G'day G'day
    • Administrator
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • VK4FIX
    « Reply #4 on: Thu 16 May 04:31 2019 »
    Thanks all, we have applied for early acquisition, waiting to hear the outcome.
    Yes Paul, that shed could certainly tell some stories...!

To be honest, we don't want to live here anymore, the town planners have turned it into unit city, every available piece of land is being built up with units.
    Every dickhead hoon in Qld lives here.
    In the long run, it will be good, just a lot of hurdles to jump to get there.
    Map attached. Our place is the little line to the south right at the top of the map.

Offline rodric

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 54
    • -Receive: 25
    « Reply #5 on: Thu 16 May 05:18 2019 »
    Good luck with it all !

Offline Ah Me Ting

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • -Receive: 1
    • aka 'maggot'
    « Reply #6 on: Thu 16 May 07:50 2019 »
    Thanks all, we have applied for early acquisition, waiting to hear the outcome.

I'm not a lawyer, but, am aware there are some 'traps' with the process. Namely if you agree to the acquisition before agreeing a value, you then can not object to the acquisition. Plus, the value process is linked to a 'bank value' type process, and, as we all know, they come in way less than market value.

Make sure you use a lawyer that has recent and multiple experience with compulsory acquisitions.
    When my wife calls, tell her I'm in "Ah Me Ting".

Ah Me Ting: 2019 Quintrex 420 Renegade (50Hp Tohatsu)

Offline Nugget

• G'day G'day
    • Administrator
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • VK4FIX
    « Reply #7 on: Thu 16 May 08:24 2019 »
    We have had advice, the way it works is, if we can prove a "need" for early acquisition, they value our property at "best market value" and make us an offer.
    It is up to us if we accept it.
    There is no compensation component in their offer, however they will cover "reasonable expenses" associated with moving including stamp duty on the new property.
    The "need" for early acquisition is - medical, financial etc.
    If they choose not to buy us out early, we could be forced to keep the property until they "need" it, which for this project could be up to 14 years!

Offline Ah Me Ting

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • aka 'maggot'
    « Reply #8 on: Thu 16 May 10:08 2019 »
    We have had advice, the way it works is, if we can prove a "need" for early acquisition, they value our property at "best market value" and make us an offer.
    It is up to us if we accept it.
    There is no compensation component in their offer, however they will cover "reasonable expenses" associated with moving including stamp duty on the new property.
    The "need" for early acquisition is - medical, financial etc.
    If they choose not to buy us out early, we could be forced to keep the property until they "need" it, which for this project could be up to 14 years!

I'd be checking into what that means ... legally. Not what most is of think it means.

http://www.land-acquisition.com.au/key-principles/market-value/qld/

Offline Blinky

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 661
    • -Receive: 588
    « Reply #9 on: Thu 16 May 15:44 2019 »
    Dave
    When our family home on city road got resumed by main roads for the m1 expansion it was a take it or move out deal
    Donít waste your time on legal advice cause you wonít win
  • My Awards Whiting Over 40cm Tailor Over 60cm
  • just an alcoholic with a fishing problem / DFE  Dead Fish Expert & T1'S Fishing mentor

Offline Nugget

• G'day G'day
    • Administrator
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • VK4FIX
    « Reply #10 on: Thu 16 May 18:00 2019 »
    Dave
    When our family home on city road got resumed by main roads for the m1 expansion it was a take it or move out deal
    Donít waste your time on legal advice cause you wonít win

Was it a "fair" offer Blinky?

Offline DamoP

• Fishing first.
    • Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 179
    • -Receive: 213
    « Reply #11 on: Thu 16 May 20:40 2019 »
    Hope it all works out for ya Dave.

Just one more cast

Offline Blinky

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 661
    • -Receive: 588
    « Reply #12 on: Thu 16 May 22:29 2019 »
    The offer was pretty good Dave but was under market value
  • My Awards Whiting Over 40cm Tailor Over 60cm
  • just an alcoholic with a fishing problem / DFE  Dead Fish Expert & T1'S Fishing mentor

Offline Ah Me Ting

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • aka 'maggot'
    « Reply #13 on: Fri 17 May 07:29 2019 »
    The offer was pretty good Dave but was under market value

And that is how it works.

For assessing "compensation" under resumption on compulsory acquisition, a valuation is completed by a registered, licensed property valuer.

It's the similar type of valuation used by banks.

And we all know bank valuations come in lower than what you have to pay for a property on the open market.

Same for compulsory acquisition.

Offline jewwie

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 84
    • -Receive: 89
    « Reply #14 on: Fri 17 May 14:29 2019 »
    I wish you all the best with your retirement, Dave - even though it's not the best of circumstances I know you'll make it work.
    Cheers
    JP
  • My Awards Wild Barramundi Over 100cm

•