Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Fingerlings...stocking groups  (Read 240 times)

Offline Red

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3089
  • -Receive: 2458
  • Whatever...
Fingerlings...stocking groups
« on: Tue 14 May 10:55 2019 »
Guys like Ray might be onto this, but we're after fingerlings to stock dams. 'Anyone suggest someone? or a group..

Red

Offline bondy99

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5099
  • -Receive: 2030
Re: Fingerlings...stocking groups
« Reply #1 on: Tue 14 May 15:21 2019 »
G'day Red,

I think Rayke might be the best person for this, he has a lot contacts and most likely can steer you in the right direction.

Bondy
  • My Awards Dolphinfish Over 120cm Whiting Over 40cm Sand crab over 16cm

• Offline rayke1938

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 980
    • -Receive: 2504
    « Reply #2 on: Tue 14 May 19:51 2019 »
    Where are you wishing to stock and what species?
    For yellas,bass,silvers , murrays and  marys the PRFMA and some other stocking groups use Hanwood Hatchery near Murgon. Honest ,ethical and well priced. Give Max or Dierdre a ring and have a chat they are full of info and advice and also welcome visitors to the hatchery with prior notice.
    link to their website  https://hanwoodfishhatchery.com.au

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline Red

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • Whatever...
    « Reply #3 on: Wed 15 May 06:23 2019 »
    G'day Ray, and thanks for your valued input.
    There are 4 dams on the place, plus a creek that flows around it - already sighted silvers in there.
    We plan to install a large dam and it's this one we are planning fish for. I will be manning a stall at primex this week/end and will speak to the DPI guys there also about their suggestions. Silvers and bass are along the lines of what I was thinking, with gudgeons and rainbows to complement( aka feed) them in a catchment with no shade or immediate structure.
    'might have to roll a few old tyres down the hill - into the dam and similar!
    I'll give Hanwood a call, - ta

Red

Offline SRW25

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1
    • -Receive: 30
    « Reply #4 on: Wed 15 May 22:08 2019 »
    Hi Red,

Fish stocking of certain species depends on where your dam is and what drainage division it falls under.

I stocked my small dam with silver perch as they are well suited to the farm dam environment and when adding further fingerlings the adults will not predate on the new fish.

Silver perch take floating fish food pellets and will be waiting daily at the same spot for a feed once a habit is formed if you choose to feed them. Silver perch have the best chance of evading a shag or cormorant also. Bass and yellas will eat anything smaller than themselves.

I would give a dam 12months after filling to mature before adding fish, in that time adding aquatic plants, shrimps and fish to provide a food chain.

Providing structure is a great idea , I would also plan a mesh wire fence or barrier so during overflow events your stock does not escape.

I got my fingerlings from Pipers creek hatchery near Kempsey for $1 each. Another good outlet is Abbington aquaculture at Childers. There are plenty around and most have good websites and information on the subject. If you can avoid paying freight costs most outlets are happy to include you if they are doing a delivery run.

I put old pipes and drums in my dam that sit tied to besser blocks.

Sounds like you will have a good setup in time.

Cheers Steve.

Offline SRW25

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1
    • -Receive: 30
    « Reply #5 on: Thu 16 May 11:11 2019 »
    Dam fish structure ideas

Offline Red

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • Whatever...
    « Reply #6 on: Thu 16 May 12:31 2019 »
    Thanks for that Steve,
    At days end, it's water for stock..not fish. I have to adhere to that priority. I may still pump from a nearby bore to water trees and crops, but this/ these catchments are for the moo-ey things .
    The current dams will flow into this one should they overflow, and this one will spill over lower paddocks before entering the upper Richmond catchment some few hundred metres away.
    Advice from the DPI will influence my choices and restrictions.

Cheers,
    Red

anything