Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Another surprise catch from the Pine.  (Read 1099 times)

Online Freeeedom

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 948
  • -Receive: 2088
Another surprise catch from the Pine.
« on: Wed 10 Apr 14:04 2019 »
Couldn't find enough prawns this morning to keep me interested, so, with just under a kilo for about 90 minutes effort I decided to try for a flathead or two. It was just about slack tide, and nothing happened for a while until the run-in got going and I caught 2 flathead (41 and 46 cm) in fairly quick time. Then I got cut off by two fairly solid fish, one of which cut my 20 pound leader just below the swivel. As I pulled in the sinker and swivel I saw a flash of a fish behind it, chasing it back to the boat. There was obviously something there that had serious teeth. I did not have any other bait - only the prawns I had netted - I had released 40 or 50 herring, which would have been useful right now. On my next cast I hooked up again, and luckily this one was lipped and I had a chance to at least see what it was. It put up a very solid fight on the light gear but I eventually got a first look at it and guessed 'tarpon'. It took off deep again taking quite a bit of line against the drag, and on my next look I thought 'queenfish', or maybe 'trevally'. Finally I brought it to the boat and was very surprised to see a very solid tailor. What's it doing here in April? A couple more cut-offs and one more lipped fish and I bit the bullet and went for something I very rarely ever use - wire! So what did I catch - a bream. I persevered using up all my biggest prawns and caught another two tailor. By this time it was getting pretty rugged with the southerly blowing at 20 knots plus, so I gave it away at about 11.00.  The tailor ranged from 35 to 45 cm, which is not bad quality for the Pine. July and August are the usual months when I target tailor in the Pine, and I've never caught tailor like that on prawns before. It's a crazy world - and getting crazier every day!
Cheers Freeeedom

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline Tezza

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
Re: Another surprise catch from the Pine.
« Reply #1 on: Wed 10 Apr 17:34 2019 »
Good work Freeedom. No you wouldnít expect to see tailor at this time of year. Hopefully an early start.
I cast for prawns in the Pine last Friday from 7:30 till after the high tide around 11:00 for a kilo and a half of mainly smalls. Hope they come back soon.

Online Freeeedom

• Registered
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: Mon 15 Apr 12:25 2019 »
No tailor in the Pine today, but some nice lizards and a few bream. Almost no prawns at all in the Pine, and I was going to run over to Nudgee for a look, but it was a bit lumpy, so I stayed in the Pine and used the few prawns I had, plus a few herring I kept from a Christmas tree I got on my first throw of the morning. Released two undersize flathead, one bream, a 30cm squire and a porcupine. Came in at about 10.45.
Cheers Freeeedom

Offline bondy99

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5126
  • -Receive: 2038
« Reply #3 on: Mon 15 Apr 19:33 2019 »
Still good tailor John, I wish I could say the same, I've never caught one yet this year.

• My Awards Dolphinfish Over 120cm Whiting Over 40cm Sand crab over 16cm
  • The following members said thank you for your post

Online Freeeedom

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #4 on: Wed 24 Apr 12:32 2019 »
    Had another look at the Pine today. Much the same as the last couple of times - only a few prawns and a few fish to make the trip worthwhile.  Caught four flathead, kept 2, and 4 bream, kept 2, but the fish of the day was a lovely little jew of about 55cm. Way undersize, so a quick pic and back he went, but I love to catch them at any size - they are such a beautiful looking fish with that coppery-bronze colour glowing in the sunlight. Made my day!
    Cheers Freeeedom

Offline Johnno52

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 460
    • -Receive: 62
    « Reply #5 on: Wed 24 Apr 13:35 2019 »
    Hi Freeeedom well done they are a lovely fish!

Cheers Johnno

Online TheGurn

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • -Receive: 28
    « Reply #6 on: Wed 24 Apr 15:04 2019 »
    Well done. Isn't it a pity the river doesn't hold many of the bigger models.
    Caught a few in there but all undersized so far.
    Got well and truly dusted last week flicking softies in a channel down there by something huge. Left a big hole in the water trying to shake the plastic loose after busting me up in about 3 seconds flat. I'm calling it for the big jew I've been chasing!!! At least you got yours. Nice ..

Online TheGurn

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • -Receive: 28
    « Reply #7 on: Wed 24 Apr 15:34 2019 »
    Probably should add that I call every fish that busts me up for a big jewie. :)