Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 121
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Jew netting in estuaries  (Read 1234 times)

Offline beach bum

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1273
  • -Receive: 838
  • fishing use a lure. Catching take live bait
Jew netting in estuaries
« on: Tue 2 Apr 19:48 2019 »
You be the judge. I know pros need to make a living but this just makes me sad for the future of fishing for this highly prized recreational species

http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/dead-mulloway-photo-goes-viral

Can someone please estimate what a catch like this is worth in $$$ terms to the pro fisher as Iím sure it would only equal a few % of the dollars spent by rec fishers in fuel, bait, ice, tackle and accomodation all usually spent in smaller coastal towns relying on the lure of great catches to bring the $$$ into the area. Not to mention rego for cars n boats n then the beach permits n fishing licenses needed that goes directly to the gov.

« Last Edit: Tue 2 Apr 20:02 2019 by beach bum »
Looking forward to the next trip

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline Mitchell Bierge

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 352
  • -Receive: 566
Re: Jew netting in estuaries
« Reply #1 on: Wed 3 Apr 16:57 2019 »
I see that's in NSW happening am very surprise are allowing it when there rule is only 1 in possession limit size over 70 cm  for the rec  fisherman  in NSW  unlike Queensland can have 2 at 75 cm  and don't know what commercial fishery industry  does here if target them or not if so what is the TAC ( total,allowable catch for over 12 month period )

Mitch
  • My Awards Whiting Over 40cm Tuna Over 120cm Spanish Mackerel Over 150cm Cod (saltwater All) Over 80cm Sand crab over 16cm Tuna Over 100cm Spotty Mackerel Over 80cm Snapper Over 80cm

• Offline beach bum

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1273
    • -Receive: 838
    • fishing use a lure. Catching take live bait
    « Reply #2 on: Wed 3 Apr 19:35 2019 »
    From the article in the link.

No commercial quota is in place for estuary netting mulloway, meaning commercial fishos are still allowed to catch as many legal size fish as possible. Meanwhile rec fishos are releasing most of their catch, which sadly often end up in these same nets.
    Looking forward to the next trip

Offline TheGurn

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • -Receive: 46
    « Reply #3 on: Thu 4 Apr 09:26 2019 »
    So how the hell do NSW fisheries justify this hypocrisy? Or don't they even try to? Thought NSW fisheries had their finger on the pulse. Very disappointing and disgusting management, but sadly not surprising anymore.

Offline TheGurn

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #4 on: Fri 5 Apr 14:52 2019 »
    Interesting reading on the fisheries website. Mulloway are still classified as overfished. So they introduced a 'recovery strategy' and after a few years the preliminary results of that came in, and ultimately they reduced the bag limit for recs to one fish. And (possibly to show some fairness as an afterthought)  they also removed the 'allowable bycatch' of undersized fish for commercial estuary netting, which was recorded as being abused in 25% of their inspections anyway.

Bet that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy.

Offline Fishy mick

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 114
    • -Receive: 155
    « Reply #5 on: Fri 5 Apr 16:57 2019 »
    Rec Fishing Licenses at work. Amazing!!!
    Mick
    Not all tools are usefull
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason.

Offline TheGurn

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #6 on: Sat 6 Apr 13:59 2019 »
    'Amazing' doesn't quite cover it. I may be wrong but I'm sure I glimpsed something in the fisheries blurb that part of their 'mulloway recovery programme' was the release of jew fingerlings at $2 each. I do remember hearing something about that restocking attempt a while back.

It would be interesting to know if the rec licence fees paid for (or subsidised) that enterprise. No doubt the netters relished their 'allowable bycatch' of undersized jew back then.

I could look it all up including the timing, but too damn frustrating and depressing to read how to effectively mismanage an 'overfished' resource in favour of one group over another for short-sighted short-term gain.

Off my soap box now.

Offline crabby1

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 90
    • -Receive: 485
    « Reply #7 on: Sat 6 Apr 19:13 2019 »
    Last I heard line caught fish was $5-7/kg at wholesalers buy price.

Dont have any idea what those fish would weigh myself.

Looks like 2 different body fish. Some are slender for length and tailfin straighter than the ones with fat wrist at end of tail and tailfin looks more circluar.

Might be just me.
    Or is male/female different like that?
    Or estuary and ocean jew different like above? 

anything