Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: 1770 fishing  (Read 976 times)

Offline wettinney

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 82
  • -Receive: 115
1770 fishing
« on: Thu 28 Mar 10:24 2019 »
Hello,

Heading up to 1770 around end of May.Just wondering about best tides for offshore. One week has neat tides and the other option is week later which has a few bit of run, know the old saying No run No fun but not sure on this area,haven't fish it for 20 years

thanks

Mick

Offline Dave67

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 7
Re: 1770 fishing
« Reply #1 on: Thu 28 Mar 19:21 2019 »
I've fished up around Fitzroy a few times, never worried about tides. We just go when we get a chance, and never come home without plenty of fish. good luck.

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline bondy99

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5126
  • -Receive: 2038
« Reply #2 on: Sun 5 May 19:07 2019 »
Might find a few crays up there.
  • My Awards Dolphinfish Over 120cm Whiting Over 40cm Sand crab over 16cm

• Offline bazinga

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • -Receive: 27
    « Reply #3 on: Thu 16 May 09:36 2019 »
    Just come back from up there.  I think it would depend on where you are planning on fishing.  If you are going to fish Pancake Creek or Jenny Lind Creek then the tides would have more of a bearing on that area.  We fished wide of Lady Musgrave Island and although we always catch plenty of fish, I find three days before and after the full moon the best.

On a side note, the channel at the entrance of 1770 has changed.  You now have to go about 100 or so metres north of where the channel used to be.  If there is any swell running you might have white water to cross .  About 1 1/2 hours after low tide we had about 1.2 m under the boat just outside the end leads.

Offline DamoP

• Fishing first.
    • Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 179
    • -Receive: 213
    « Reply #4 on: Thu 16 May 20:19 2019 »
    I went up 2 weeks ago when the wind dropped off. Same weekend as the fishing comp.

I never plan 1770. Watch the weather and go when you can.
    I suggest you keep inshore fishing options open. The wind has been solid 30kn+ for 6 mths. The musgrave flyer went out twice in 2 weeks. Even when the wind dropped off the chop was still around. We got 2 days out in 5. The mornings where good but the trip home in the late arvo was bloody terrible.

The channel has changed. .8m at low tide on the sounder. Basically head straight out now. Don't go near the headland side....very shallow. Drive out to the headland at low tide and walk down and have a look. You'll see the banks.

BTW if you're interested in stilling alcohol I recommend you pay a visit to the 1770 distillery. Something to do on those windy days.
    John is a wealth of knowledge and has a very interesting past. I could listen to him all day. I asked a million questions and I have a million more. He produces fruit liqueurs using mostly local ingredients. Before you turn your nose up, go and have a taste. They are delicious! No additives. Very clean. Bet you leave with a bottle. I left with 2.  ;D
    Just one more cast

Offline The Commodore

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 71
    • -Receive: 101
    1770 fishing
    « Reply #5 on: Sun 19 May 21:35 2019 »
    I went up 2 weeks ago when the wind dropped off. Same weekend as the fishing comp.

I never plan 1770. Watch the weather and go when you can.
    I suggest you keep inshore fishing options open. The wind has been solid 30kn+ for 6 mths. The musgrave flyer went out twice in 2 weeks. Even when the wind dropped off the chop was still around. We got 2 days out in 5. The mornings where good but the trip home in the late arvo was bloody terrible.

The channel has changed. .8m at low tide on the sounder. Basically head straight out now. Don't go near the headland side....very shallow. Drive out to the headland at low tide and walk down and have a look. You'll see the banks.

BTW if you're interested in stilling alcohol I recommend you pay a visit to the 1770 distillery. Something to do on those windy days.
    John is a wealth of knowledge and has a very interesting past. I could listen to him all day. I asked a million questions and I have a million more. He produces fruit liqueurs using mostly local ingredients. Before you turn your nose up, go and have a taste. They are delicious! No additives. Very clean. Bet you leave with a bottle. I left with 2.  ;D
    Been blowing 30 knots for 6 months?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DamoP

• Fishing first.
    • Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 179
    • -Receive: 213
    « Reply #6 on: Sun 19 May 22:14 2019 »
    Been blowing 30 knots for 6 months?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Figure of speech.
    Not very many nice days up there of late.
    And that was supposed to read KPH no Kn.
    Just one more cast

anything