Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Anyone using Lithium battery  (Read 443 times)

Offline crabby1

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 81
  • -Receive: 460
Anyone using Lithium battery
« on: Wed 20 Mar 09:37 2019 »
Anyone here using Lithium battery/ies in 4wd or camper or caravan?

Worth it?

Would you go Li again?

How charging them? dcdc? solar? 240v main or genset?

Buy special charger to so?

Got 2- 110amp agm 3.5yrs old that going to replace.

Offline Mitchell Bierge

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 345
  • -Receive: 565
Re: Anyone using Lithium battery
« Reply #1 on: Thu 21 Mar 15:56 2019 »
Look I don't know a lot about the Lithium but generally  110 AGM battery should last up to 6 years and can get your battery's  load test for free a Battery world or  I like going to Repco  tell you weather still good or not  it's just a thought if haven't done it because lithium is very expensive I believe they come down more in price and be better improvements  /warranty's  as well 
Hope this helps
Mitch
  • My Awards Whiting Over 40cm Tuna Over 120cm Spanish Mackerel Over 150cm Cod (saltwater All) Over 80cm Sand crab over 16cm Tuna Over 100cm Spotty Mackerel Over 80cm Snapper Over 80cm
  • The following members said thank you for your post

Offline mangajack

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 67
    • -Receive: 161
    « Reply #2 on: Thu 21 Mar 16:45 2019 »
    A mate lost 3 LiFePo batteries last weekend in his van about a year old.
    Suitable Lithium battery charger was used.
    Every second week they would be connected for a trickle charge.
    Van has been in storage for 3 months.
    Neither charger or batteries suppliers are open to negotiations.

Effectively $3600 is what it costs to go for a two week holiday.....

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline crabby1

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #3 on: Fri 22 Mar 09:00 2019 »
    A mate lost 3 LiFePo batteries last weekend in his van about a year old.
    Suitable Lithium battery charger was used.
    Every second week they would be connected for a trickle charge.
    Van has been in storage for 3 months.
    Neither charger or batteries suppliers are open to negotiations.

Effectively $3600 is what it costs to go for a two week holiday.....
    Never heard good reports on Lifepo batteries. They seem to fail.
    Li batteries do not like to be kept 100% charged seems to be main talk I have heard.
    Li batteries work like 6 2v batteries in series but each one discharges then chargers.
    Cost has restricted number if persons has gone with Li in past and most went Lifepo and had similar results as your friends.
    Has been suggested to use PV to activate streetlight function and drain 5-10% overnight ti cycle battery and use pv to recharge during day

Look I don't know a lot about the Lithium but generally  110 AGM battery should last up to 6 years and can get your battery's  load test for free a Battery world or  I like going to Repco  tell you weather still good or not  it's just a thought if haven't done it because lithium is very expensive I believe they come down more in price and be better improvements  /warranty's  as well 
    Hope this helps
    Mitch
    Battery testing at most places checks your cranking or cca rating of battery rather than deep cycling capacity.
    To get 7years is usually drawing only 10% of total capacity of your battery the majority of its working life.
    These batteries get 150w or roughly 12amp draw overnight running my fridge as dont turn it off as vehicle is not under cover. then morning of 2nd day the other battery becomes the duty battery.
    Slave for one day and no duties except recharging 2nd day.
    Should have at start paralleled both togeather to form 220amp bank rather than as 2 seperate systems.
    Redundancy as hunt alot is reason for seperate system.
    As 220 amp bank and using 20% max of capacity of 44amps negitive draw would have long term been best to do.
    Being vehicle mounted makes it harder to do so rather than fitment to house or pump or similar stationary system.

Reason for new batteries is currently like now 60L fridge is full of deer that have hunted and butchered. This places massive draw on fridge and batteries. My trips away are minium 2 nights and last year couple for 2 weeks and one at 3weeks. I dont have access to 240v power when away as thats places I go.
    Plus over next 4 years have basicially 50 weeks wont be at work and most of that relying on 12v or my batterys.
    So plan is to replace current batterys with this years tax return so have fresh set up as will be getting a work out..
    Looking at first getting 60amp Li of a new technology ones due in June this year.
    Li meant to be able draw down 80% of capacity and still maintain high cycle life so single battery give 48amps negitive draw before damage.
    replacing 2 N70 size batterys at 64kg total with N55 size battery at 15kg weight and $100 less than 2 110 amp  agm batterys.
    Would add ability to draw fridge off cranking battery then in case of Li failure.

Reliability is first consideration and know current set up does have it.

While current agm are fine will put them in service paralleled on 12v system at home. That much have learned from current set up 

Offline Red

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 3082
    • -Receive: 2449
    • Whatever...
    « Reply #4 on: Sat 23 Mar 19:34 2019 »
    'tried the lithium in the boat...short lived in comparison to its gel cell predecessor. Now have calcium in the boat, car, and gel in pv solar.
    Calcium in the car recommended by battery independant who told of 'all the cabbies' using them. So far, had 3 years without a drama.

Offline crabby1

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #5 on: Sun 24 Mar 10:46 2019 »
    Interesting to note short lived in boat as well.

Boat and caravan failures might mean they dont like a pounding or vibration of moving. :-\

Feedback like this is very usefully and will consider in making decesion

Offline benarkin

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1998
    • -Receive: 621
    « Reply #6 on: Thu 28 Mar 20:22 2019 »
    crabby1,
    I have been running this Lithium pack https://jts12volt.com.au/product/lithium-dual-battery-kit-under-1200-power-easy-l100-combo/ for the past 3 months running a 60lt fridge freezer Led lights and other bits and pieces in some dismal weather in Tasmania. Some times with 2 days  continuous overcast and or raining only once the pack dropped to 11.0 volts. A nice sunny day with the 130watt solar panel pushing 8.4amps<<checked with clamp meter>> had the pack back to between 12.4v and 12.6v which IS the maximum charge the Lithium will go to. At 10.6kg for the Lithium pack it,s a lot lighter than the 80 odd kg for the same amount of usable power in the AGM batteries in my other camping set up.
    Greg
    « Last Edit: Thu 28 Mar 20:39 2019 by benarkin »
    Dreams of a better world,
    Where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline crabby1

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #7 on: Thu 28 Mar 21:35 2019 »
    Thats a get value kit ;)

Reckon have to go for look at the shop before spend any money.

Is it installed in 4wd or van or camper tralier.
    It is be weight and physical room saving compared to agm plus be less initial outlay