Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Winter whiting.  (Read 734 times)

Offline morrie

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 273
  • -Receive: 208
Winter whiting.
« on: Thu 7 Mar 09:49 2019 »
Have fished the bay for 50 years for winteries and tend to find them in the deeper water during summer. I noticed the blue hole on my charts and although I have never fished it was wondering if others have had success with this spot.

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline crabby1

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 455
Re: Winter whiting.
« Reply #1 on: Thu 7 Mar 14:32 2019 »
Just make sure you know where the go slow zones are and the green zone no fishing are if heading other there ;)

Most fish the Sandhills to the north for winteries

Offline morrie

• Registered
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: Thu 7 Mar 14:42 2019 »
Thanks crabby 1, I had a 12ft clark for many years which restricted my movement around the bay. Now with a 4.2 Stessco and a 30hp it has opened up new horizons for me. Mate I have visited the little sandhills twice but without much luck. Should I sound for the deeper channels or move in close to the shore. Many thanks also for the warning about the zoning. I have a chart plotter and am very careful about my movements.

Offline Freeeedom

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 917
  • -Receive: 2013
« Reply #3 on: Thu 7 Mar 16:33 2019 »
Yeah! - the Sandhills is pretty reliable through the summer and usually produces good quality fish. Run into the anchorage between big and little sandhills and run to the edge of the banks on either side where the water is about 3 metres deep. Drift with the wind and/or tide into the deeper water with a couple of baits down until you find some winteries. If you catch more than 2 in a row motor back about 20 metres along your drift line and drop the pick and fish straight down until the fish disappear. Then lift the pick and repeat as needed. Be prepared to have the odd fish cut in half by mackerel as you raise them from the bottom. Good luck!
Cheers Freeeedom

Offline morrie

• Registered
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: Thu 7 Mar 17:27 2019 »
Thanks freeedom, can't wait for the wind to drop and give it a try. Lots of great tips there and will probably help out a lot of other fishos on this site. I can remember going around in huge circles up the small ships gutter, right up among the red drums on the dog leg of the Rous and right back along the chain banks using up heaps of fuel for a dozen whiting. Will let you know how I go. 

Offline denyskay

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #5 on: Fri 8 Mar 19:21 2019 »
Thanks crabby 1, I had a 12ft clark for many years which restricted my movement around the bay. Now with a 4.2 Stessco and a 30hp it has opened up new horizons for me. Mate I have visited the little sandhills twice but without much luck. Should I sound for the deeper channels or move in close to the shore. Many thanks also for the warning about the zoning. I have a chart plotter and am very careful about my movements.
   I find going really early [ first light ] helps a lot and I guess where you go depends on where you live or put your boat in.   Near the old Compass Adjustment buoy [ no longer there ] used to be good...

Offline morrie

• Registered
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: Mon 11 Mar 17:17 2019 »
Mate I live in Cleveland so Raby bay (Cleveland Point) is where I normally launch. Thanks so much for the help.

Offline bushie bill

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #7 on: Sat 16 Mar 13:51 2019 »
blue hole is agood spot if weather comes up whiting can be caught in their but sand hils is better    bushie bill

anything