Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Gas bottles  (Read 1669 times)

Offline Danny

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 20
Gas bottles
« on: Fri 25 Jan 12:50 2019 »
Is it legal to mount a gas bottle under the tray on a 4x4 cant seem to find anything stating otherwise.Cheers Danny

Offline crabby1

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 89
  • -Receive: 485
Re: Gas bottles
« Reply #1 on: Fri 25 Jan 13:25 2019 »
dont know if legal but would want heat sheild if near exhaust.

Is this for lpg and cooking?

Offline Danny

• Registered
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: Fri 25 Jan 15:18 2019 »
Yes it's for cooking and hot water system.ive mounted it on opposite side to exhaust behind rear wheel.we used to keep it in canopy when traveling but theres battery and fridges in there so bit wary of pushing my luck.

Offline beach bum

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1272
  • -Receive: 838
  • fishing use a lure. Catching take live bait
« Reply #3 on: Fri 25 Jan 19:27 2019 »
If it is just to transport to and from camping in the canopy and it is not connected to anything ie has a bung in it and strapped down in a milk crate you can pretty much do what you want but if it is connected to a 3 way fridge or anything else while travelling then it falls into another category where.

Itís a real grey area. The only real rules on gas bottles in the Australian standard is that the bracket holding the bottle can take 4 x the weight of the full cylinder. If itís in its own enclosed compartment like on some motor homes or like yours in a canopy is that it has a 25 mm drain point in the base to the outside world and canít be accessed from inside the vehicle, so only through its own little door like you see on the side of the motor homes with the Lpg sticker on them. No more than 2 x 9 kg can be inside the boot or rear of a car.

Lpg tanks are regularly used in cars but the tanks are usually put inside the chassis or in behind the rear seat where it is unlikely to come to grief in an accident

I know under the tray of a Ute is convenient and technically legal Iíve thought about it myself for camping. But just need to weigh up how you would feel if it was at the point of impact in an accident. 

But if you are just travelling without it connected in the canopy then you should be fine. If you have any other questions just PM me.

« Last Edit: Fri 25 Jan 20:10 2019 by beach bum »
Looking forward to the next trip

Offline Danny

• Registered
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: Sat 26 Jan 08:19 2019 »
Thanks for your reply .I'd thought about impact on gas bottle of it were in an aluminum toolbox in same spot I dont think it would make much difference and camper trailers running around with bottles  on the sides at lower levels.My canopy is water and air tight but has 2 vents up high at the front I'm concerned if bottle leaked and was ignited by either battery or fridges .seen recently when same thing happened in a commercial van in Sydney with fatal results.

Offline beach bum

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1272
  • -Receive: 838
  • fishing use a lure. Catching take live bait
« Reply #5 on: Sat 26 Jan 08:46 2019 »
Yes the bottle in that van wasnít capped or secured so itís believed that the bottle has moved around and the valve has opened. Then with Lpg being heavier than air and having quite a wide ignition air/gas ratio a spark from brakes or whatever has done the rest.

You doing the right thing by getting it outside. Nothing is ever going to be perfect for ease of use and safety

Looking forward to the next trip

Offline Danny

• Registered
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: Sat 26 Jan 10:23 2019 »
Thanks beach bum

anything