Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Home live bait tank project  (Read 577 times)

Offline beach bum

• Global Moderator
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1192
  • -Receive: 788
  • fishing use a lure. Catching take live bait
Home live bait tank project
« on: Thu 24 Jan 17:11 2019 »
I came across this old 600L pool chlorine holding in my travels with work. Itís been out of action for about 5 years and had rain water sitting in it and some algae growing in the water so I donít think thereís any major hangover chemical wise after it has sat for so long.

My plan as time and funds permit ( itís going to be as budget as I can keep it) is to set it up on a pallet so I can move it if needed. Probably with a under gravel air powered filter on the bottom to do the bio filtering and some sort of mechanical/ bio filter like the diy 20 l bucket ones on the tube powered by a pond type pump or whatever is cheap n I can get my hands on. If it scums up Iíll look at protein scimmers ect but only if needed.

As far as what will be in there mainly mullet with herring n gar if I can get them home in time. And maybe some sort of bottom dweller like a cat fish  to clean up down there n keep the cycle going as it gets loaded up n emptied.

Early days but any info on what is best to feed mullet ect would be helpful I have had salt/ marine tanks in the past for pretty looking fish with chillers n Uv n the works but this will be more of a function over form setup in the garage so I can have live bait on hand when the chance arrives for me to fish my preferred time n tides with out wasting time looking for bait.
Looking forward to the next trip

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline Burger

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1281
  • -Receive: 452
Re: Home live bait tank project
« Reply #1 on: Tue 29 Jan 19:58 2019 »
You do realise that when it's up and running and stocked you will be having visits most Saturday mornings in the early hours from a lazy sasquatch making the most of the easy offerings.

Offline beach bum

• Global Moderator
  • Registered
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: Wed 30 Jan 06:53 2019 »
Yeah Iíll need to put up some trail cams. I thought I saw his Mellon in the paper the other day, thank god they cropped the photo to keep his pants out n save some face for the species.

Offline Taylyn it

• Global Moderator
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2962
  • -Receive: 1978
  • The rich have therapy for the rest there's fishing
  • Club Awards:
    2016 Freshwater Champion
« Reply #3 on: Fri 1 Feb 08:38 2019 »
Nice one Beachy,

You might need better security than cams to keep sasquatch out,
that's a mighty tank mate, you only chasing big bait for those big jew ;D.

Cheers Jason
  • My Awards Threadfin Salmon Over 80cm Mac Tuna Over 80cm Freshwater Cod Over 60cm Yellowbelly Over 50cm Whiting Over 40cm Cobia Over 100cm Spotty Mackerel Over 80cm Redclaw over 35cm Grass Emperor Over 45cm
  • Fishing is meant to be enjoyable, let's keep it that way.
    Jason

Online mighty quinn

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 765
    • -Receive: 1454
    « Reply #4 on: Fri 1 Feb 12:12 2019 »
    JFK.
    We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard.
    Go Beachy and good luck.
  • My Awards Sand crab over 16cm
  • The following members said thank you for your post

Offline beach bum

• Global Moderator
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #5 on: Fri 1 Feb 19:49 2019 »
    Thanks guys it might get started this weekend after kids sport Saturday morning. Iím thinking of cutting the top off as high as I can and mount the filter to one side of the top with a hinged lid with holes in it on the other side but will start with a pressure wash n go from there. Might have a pond pump being donated to the cause to pump up to the top mounted trickle filter so $0 so far. And I can put the protein scimmer ect up top to keep the tank as free of obstruction as possible. Will need to get some fish safe silicone at some point to make it all happen. But it will progress as I get the bits together along with using any of the crap I already have trying to keep it as cheap as possible.

Yeah jase the Jew challenge continues. I try to read or watch everything I can and take bits from it but nothing compares to time on the sand with a bait I have confidence in. Fishing time is limited at the moment so just trying to make the most of it when I get the chance and hope that the sharks donít take the lion share of my offerings to the Jew gods
    « Last Edit: Fri 1 Feb 20:08 2019 by beach bum »

Offline beach bum

• Global Moderator
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #6 on: Sat 2 Feb 15:43 2019 »
    Nearly there went for a diy sand filter like is whatís on a pool just not under the same pressure so now I just need some filter sand n an air bubbler. Plan is to run the pump a few times a day for an hour or so but run the air bubbles the whole time.

Went for just the pump in the tank with the sand filter raised up to then gravity drain back into the tank so I can run the water level wherever I need it depending on how many fish are in there at the time. Pump is probably over sized but I already had it leftover from another project so it doesnít owe me anything. So far $30 all up for aquarium silicon and some pvc pipe n fittings as I already had primer n glue n some pvc stuff at home. 

Offline beach bum

• Global Moderator
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #7 on: Sat 2 Feb 15:59 2019 »
    Inside the filter. My first go at a fluidised sand filter so weíll see if it works or gets scraped

Offline beach bum

• Global Moderator
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #8 on: Sun 3 Feb 14:04 2019 »
    Did a bit more today decided on a bypass with some ball valves so I can control the amount of water going through the filter,then once the glue dried I did a test fill with tap water n run the pump to check pipe work for leaks. I saw a drip coming from under the filter so I double checked the pipe joints and found nothing. Then the ďnot happy janĒ moment happened when I found a hair line crack in the bottom of the black filter barrel. So Iím off to have a drink n make a new plan for the filter. It wouldnít have been a big deal but I just used two tubes of fish safe silicon to seal the drain pipe (there only small tubes about the size of a tube of toothpaste) only positive is I hadnít put the filter sand in yet.
    « Last Edit: Mon 4 Feb 07:13 2019 by beach bum »

Offline Taylyn it

• Global Moderator
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 2962
    • -Receive: 1978
    • The rich have therapy for the rest there's fishing
    • Club Awards:
      2016 Freshwater Champion
    « Reply #9 on: Mon 4 Feb 09:01 2019 »
    Nice going mate, shame about the set back but should be worth it in the end.

Jason
  • My Awards Threadfin Salmon Over 80cm Mac Tuna Over 80cm Freshwater Cod Over 60cm Yellowbelly Over 50cm Whiting Over 40cm Cobia Over 100cm Spotty Mackerel Over 80cm Redclaw over 35cm Grass Emperor Over 45cm
  • Fishing is meant to be enjoyable, let's keep it that way.
    Jason

Offline beach bum

• Global Moderator
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #10 on: Sun 10 Feb 13:34 2019 »
    Apologise for not being at the weigh in today. But I finally got the live tank up n running this morning n couldnít help myself with the mid day high suiting my new bait spot so I went n had a few throws for a half a dozen yellow eye mullet to start the ďcycleĒ in the tank.