The June Weigh-In BBQ is PENDING
 We're waiting to hear crowd regulations

Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: 2019 prawn season  (Read 40044 times)

Offline prawnin pete

• Supporter
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 609
  • -Receive: 1672
Re: 2019 prawn season
« Reply #210 on: Thu 10 Oct 18:37 2019 »
OK.. is it an early season..is it time to remove the moth balls and start chasing them?????????? :o
No its just a regular season. The largest  juveniles are usually moving downstream about now. There is always a run of bananas around Colmslie in October.  I picked up a bucket there last Sunday at the Newmarket reach. They will be out on the flats by December.
 This time last year Bondy and I were getting them in the Albert at about 15cm size. I think its more a case of a lot of fisherman think that the peak march-May period is the only time they are in good numbers. I was in the Albert last Thursday "researching" I managed a handy half bucket.  The Pine usually starts about November.

Offline Johnno52

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 501
  • -Receive: 66
« Reply #211 on: Fri 11 Oct 17:53 2019 »
Thanks Stan :)depending on rainfall etc will that make any difference as to when they start to get around in numbers!

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline prawnin pete

• Supporter
  • Registered
  • Thank You
« Reply #212 on: Fri 11 Oct 18:05 2019 »
It was a decent school ,I was onto Sunday night. Great numbers. 20 per throw in 2 metres of water.Tuesday  morning I went to Morningside to buy a drum of 4mm chain. As it was near Colmslie ramp I stopped by for a look. It was dropping tide and as expected the trawler was working the trench 150 metres from where I had been Sunday night.I'm not sure if I have previously mentioned it but A good friend was assisting a Trawler 12 months virtually to the day and landed a very large haul in the same spot. As I said the bigger recruits are moving out now. the others apparently will too, (according to research) over the coming 3 months. A heavy rain event will trigger them as well. I wouldn't mind betting that the trawlers will be busy at the port if we get 50mm plus of rain tomorrow.

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline mighty quinn

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 869
  • -Receive: 1633
« Reply #213 on: Mon 4 Nov 08:34 2019 »
A show of nana's in the Pine Saturday,don't make a special trip though.
  • My Awards Luderick over 40cm Sand crab over 16cm
  • The following members said thank you for your post

Offline prawnin pete

• Supporter
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #214 on: Mon 9 Dec 13:01 2019 »
    Did  anyone notice at the Xmas party, the water was discoloured in the Logan yesterday ?  By comparison, the Albert was holding some prawn well up. (Right in front of that drain Nugget mentioned in a prawning  tip, about the Albert, at least 15 years ago. ) And the Albert was decidedly green for the first 3klm from the junction, before looking stirred.  I reckon it might be worth a look.

Offline bondy99

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 5313
    • -Receive: 2132
    « Reply #215 on: Mon 9 Dec 23:12 2019 »
    prawnin pete,

I've noticed the water slightly different colour upstream in the Albert River. Seen two boats this afternoon prowling around. Always worth a look upstream.
  • My Awards Dolphinfish Over 120cm Whiting Over 40cm Sand crab over 16cm

•  

anything