Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: 2019 prawn season  (Read 27776 times)

Offline prawnin pete

• Supporter
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 600
  • -Receive: 1670
Re: 2019 prawn season
« Reply #210 on: Thu 10 Oct 18:37 2019 »
OK.. is it an early season..is it time to remove the moth balls and start chasing them?????????? :o
No its just a regular season. The largest  juveniles are usually moving downstream about now. There is always a run of bananas around Colmslie in October.  I picked up a bucket there last Sunday at the Newmarket reach. They will be out on the flats by December.
 This time last year Bondy and I were getting them in the Albert at about 15cm size. I think its more a case of a lot of fisherman think that the peak march-May period is the only time they are in good numbers. I was in the Albert last Thursday "researching" I managed a handy half bucket.  The Pine usually starts about November.

Offline Johnno52

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 470
  • -Receive: 62
« Reply #211 on: Fri 11 Oct 17:53 2019 »
Thanks Stan :)depending on rainfall etc will that make any difference as to when they start to get around in numbers!

Offline prawnin pete

• Supporter
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 600
  • -Receive: 1670
« Reply #212 on: Fri 11 Oct 18:05 2019 »
It was a decent school ,I was onto Sunday night. Great numbers. 20 per throw in 2 metres of water.Tuesday  morning I went to Morningside to buy a drum of 4mm chain. As it was near Colmslie ramp I stopped by for a look. It was dropping tide and as expected the trawler was working the trench 150 metres from where I had been Sunday night.I'm not sure if I have previously mentioned it but A good friend was assisting a Trawler 12 months virtually to the day and landed a very large haul in the same spot. As I said the bigger recruits are moving out now. the others apparently will too, (according to research) over the coming 3 months. A heavy rain event will trigger them as well. I wouldn't mind betting that the trawlers will be busy at the port if we get 50mm plus of rain tomorrow.

The following members said thank you for your post

anything