Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 127
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: 2019 prawn season  (Read 29423 times)

Offline JENKO

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 40
Re: 2019 prawn season
« Reply #195 on: Fri 3 May 10:22 2019 »
I hit nudgee  / Kedron brook this morning with a kilo to show of smalls , nothing out the front of nudgee 😭

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline vutran

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #196 on: Mon 6 May 08:21 2019 »
Took a leaf out of Bondyís book and went for a landbased prawn in the river. What they lacked in quantity they definitely made up for in size (thought they were mullet hitting the top pocket). Ended up with just over 2kg of great sized red legs for about an hourís work. Went the next day and ended up with the same. Came on eitherside of high tide.

Offline vutran

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #197 on: Mon 6 May 08:22 2019 »
Another pic

MSB

« Reply #198 on: Mon 6 May 08:51 2019 »
Another pic
There snodgers mate , well done

Offline struck

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 210
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #199 on: Thu 9 May 09:40 2019 »
Hi Had a look on Tuesday around the southern side on outgoing tide got O end of season I think, cheers struck :-\

Offline bondy99

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5206
  • -Receive: 2064
« Reply #200 on: Thu 9 May 22:38 2019 »
vutran,
Well done, you're on a winner.
  • My Awards Dolphinfish Over 120cm Whiting Over 40cm Sand crab over 16cm

• Offline prawnin pete

• Supporter
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 600
    • -Receive: 1671
    « Reply #201 on: Fri 10 May 05:14 2019 »
    Hi Vutran, there is a nice sandy spot on the downstream side of Raptis fish markets, Ideal for land based. Is that where you were?
    Heres some general tips-
     if you want to go prawning at night. Especially If you know the prawns are in the area by day, then they will be in the shallows at night.
    What I found is that the prawns move out of the deep and onto the edges of banks close to sunset.
     The depth is the key at night. I dont use my sounder to spot them on the screen. I use it to maintain the depth I target, and to follow my ant tracks.
     As the sun disappears and darkness falls target the 1-4 metre depth range for best results.
     nets- A Bottom pocket should work almost as well as a top pocket prawn net.The downside for bottom pocket is the quantity of bait fish you have to deal with.
     As the sun sets and darkness takes hold, they spread and feed along the shallow banks.It is by no means an easy a walk in the park.
     And I suggest now if you dont like hard work its not for you.And the other downside is that one pass along a stetch of bank will clear about 90% of them.
     Next pass you will only get about a tenth of that- Meagre pickings. As you can understand another boat will half your catch. Still keen?
     most nights you will do well to get half a bucket. Often its only a kilo or so. However, as very few people prawn at night
     its possible to get a bucket from time to time. From memory my best cast at night was about 2 kg.This is due the prawns being spread.
     They dont seem to school up. The sounder doesnt necessarily help neither (They arent schooled up).
     Having said that I cant say I have ever sounded the melon holes at night to check for schools.River trawlers are usually running the edges too..
     The moon phase doesnt seem to matter much in the Brisbane river. The extremely high tides often carry
     a lot of debris with them.But,despite  it possible to catch the prawns on the incoming, the outgoing is best. Especially the last 3 hours to low.
     Boat Safety is critical. at night compliance is even more important, Be sure to have your lights working properly, and a safety vest on,or onboard.
     Now this is just my take on prawning at night. Others do it differently. Some berley up and work off pontoons.Others prefer certain boat ramps,Most evenings during march,
     April, and May,there will be a dozen people casting nets at Colmslie pontoon. And believe a powerfull light helps.etc...
     I hope this helps. Cheers.

gordo4444

« Reply #202 on: Fri 10 May 08:05 2019 »
    Hi Had a look on Tuesday around the southern side on outgoing tide got O end of season I think, cheers struck :-\

Doesn't sound promising was hoping to get a few May sessions after not getting out so far this season  :'(

Offline bondy99

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #203 on: Fri 10 May 20:12 2019 »
    Another info update for those that want to fish from the Colmslie Pontoon, Due to people leaving muddy mess and crap on the pontoon and failing to clean up after themselves, slip hazards have been created so , Brisbane City Council (BCC) now has active rolling patrols in that area.

Bondy

• Offline prawnin pete

• Supporter
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #204 on: Tue 8 Oct 15:53 2019 »
    Well, I guess its still 2019, so I am in the right thread. I went out Sunday night knowing that there would be less traffic as the NRL final was on.I launched at Colmslie, I tried downstream without success. Then went upstream.Now 12 months ago ( exactly), they were in the Hamilton reach. And that's where they were again on sunday night, just by chance. I was getting 2-3 per cast till I hit the main bunch. Then it was 10-20 per throw. Now the good thing was (Being Nightime)  they were in just 6-8 foot of water. A good hour and I had my bucket. These were new season prawns. Probably 5-6 months old. Not the usual big Brisbane river bananas. These were around 15-17cm. Looks good for January at Nudgee, me thinks.
    « Last Edit: Tue 8 Oct 19:43 2019 by prawnin pete »

Offline prawnin pete

• Supporter
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #205 on: Tue 8 Oct 15:54 2019 »
    my catch

Offline paulg

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1398
    • -Receive: 708
    • Where are the PRAWNS
    « Reply #206 on: Tue 8 Oct 17:25 2019 »
    LOL you serious
  • My Awards Sand crab over 16cm Spanish Mackerel Over 120cm Red Throat Sweetlip Over 50cm Coral Trout (all) Over 60cm
  • Bring on Prawn Season

Offline prawnin pete

• Supporter
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #207 on: Tue 8 Oct 18:24 2019 »

LOL you serious

Pretty good Hey? Prawnin Pete does the damage. :) :) :)

Offline bondy99

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #208 on: Tue 8 Oct 18:54 2019 »
    Sounds like a few more will be out there again, well done.

• Offline Johnno52

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 472
    • -Receive: 64
    « Reply #209 on: Thu 10 Oct 17:36 2019 »
    OK.. is it an early season..is it time to remove the moth balls and start chasing them?????????? :o

anything