Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Modifications to my 460 Quintrex Renegade Tiller  (Read 4956 times)

Shane450

Modifications to my 460 Quintrex Renegade Tiller
« on: Tue 9 Aug 06:47 2016 »
I ll post some pics shortly

Problem -  MORE fuel range needed

Fix= I ve added a 120L underfloor stainless tank and I also carry 2 x 23 L yamaha tanks and 2 x 10L tanks in the rear hatches , I have moved the Live Bait tank to the center of the boat to give extra storage on both sides at the transom . this should give me 400km range +100km reserve

Sounder problems - my Furuno 1670F has been horrible , it has failed on every trip and been back to be repaired after each , I loved my 585 I had on my last boat but after this I ll be steering clear of furuno from now on

Fix , well the boat show this month should sort this out , I ll update later

Batteries

Fix I have mounted two Optima bluetops up front , one start dedicated and one for the electronics .

Storage

Fix , I have added two extra hatches underfloor , I have managed to fill every nook and cranny with the flotation that I have removed so I didn t actually take any flotation out of the boat , in fact in theory the fuel tank adds flotation yeah .

I have also added rod storage holders

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline David1975

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 609
  • -Receive: 438
Re: Modifications to my 460 Quintrex Renegade Tiller
« Reply #1 on: Tue 9 Aug 19:15 2016 »
Wow, that's nearly 130kgs of fuel.
You would have to allow for that and reduce the maximum person capacity by 1 person to be safe.

Shane450

Offline gcsquider

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #2 on: Tue 9 Aug 19:40 2016 »
That's a lot of fuel, what sort of trips are you planning ?
Hook em  n  Cook em

Shane450

Shane450

« Reply #3 on: Thu 11 Aug 07:01 2016 »
Wow, that's nearly 130kgs of fuel.
You would have to allow for that and reduce the maximum person capacity by 1 person to be safe.

Never more that two in my boat on trips, we are pretty careful to keep under the rated capacities

I am however very surprised at the ability/sea handling of the little quintrex now with the tank /weight down low it has made it a extremely stable rig , we actually did a test a few weeks back , full fuel load two guys and full load of water ballast in space cases to simulate the weight of a upcoming trip , we put in at my place , Sov Island , headed up to Tangalooma for lunch then back home , 200km , we also did some prop tests to see what handled the weight best .

The second reason for the test was to see how the fuel usage changed with the extra weight .
« Last Edit: Thu 11 Aug 08:56 2016 by Shane450 »

Shane450

« Reply #4 on: Thu 11 Aug 07:05 2016 »
That's a lot of fuel, what sort of trips are you planning ?

We do one remote area trip per year , this October we are heading to King ash bay , put the boat in then 5 days staying at Wiyibi Lodge out on the islands , come back in to king ash restock/refuel then the next four days we are heading along the coastline west to Rosie Ck and will fish all the little creeks , we will swag in different spots , see what we find .

The harder the place is to get to the better the fishing is :)

Shane450

« Reply #5 on: Thu 11 Aug 07:10 2016 »
Last year we did Bathurst heads and did some quite long trips into Princess charlotte bay and the various rivers etc , we had fantastic weather which allowed us to push further out than we normally would .

And yes we all carry sat phones and treat safety as a high priority

Shane450

« Reply #6 on: Thu 11 Aug 08:47 2016 »
We also carry the safety esky , a orange 100L tropical with the list of gear below in it , how many times have you heard of eskies saving peeps lives , well we have just added to its ability to pull us out of trouble if it ever hits the fan :)

SAFETY ESKY
-   Epirb
-Sat Phone
-   VHF Radio
-   Flares 4 smoke , 4 red , 3 parachute
-   Hats + sunglasses
-   Sunscreen( zinc and 50+ )
-   Torch + spare batteries
-   Strobe light + spare batteries
-   Light sticks
-   Compass
-   Air horn
- GPS +spare batteries 
-   Knife
-   Condes’ crystals
-   Signal mirror
-   V sheet
-   Goggles
-   Flippers
-   Rope
-   First aid kit
-   Water 3 litres
-   Food ( bars , barley sugar)
-   Life jackets
-   Whistle
-   Sunglasses
-   Survival kit
-   Matches
-   Emergency blankets x 2
- Magnifying glass
« Last Edit: Thu 11 Aug 12:42 2016 by Shane450 »

Shane450

« Reply #7 on: Thu 11 Aug 08:53 2016 »
I did some testing once I was floating around with it at the pin to see how stable and how easily I could get gear out of the esky in roughish conditions without spilling everything out , with a little care it was no problem

I tell you getting fins on makes a potential long paddle to shore alot easier ..
« Last Edit: Thu 11 Aug 12:44 2016 by Shane450 »

Offline Max

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 172
  • -Receive: 155
« Reply #8 on: Thu 11 Aug 12:20 2016 »
Shane,
Wow - what a trip. Do you live in NT or are you trailering the Quinnie long distance?

Max
  • My Awards Tailor Over 60cm Sand crab over 16cm
  • The following members said thank you for your post

Shane450

Shane450

« Reply #9 on: Thu 11 Aug 12:38 2016 »
    Shane,
    Wow - what a trip. Do you live in NT or are you trailering the Quinnie long distance?

Max

I live on the Goldy mate

Offline sheik

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 4
    • -Receive: 34
    « Reply #10 on: Thu 11 Aug 13:02 2016 »
    You should pop over to Rio for the 1500 final on Saturday. OK, to be on the safe side you'd have to refuel to get back, but you could probably risk it if it's expensive over there...

Offline Ah Me Ting

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • -Receive: 1
    • aka 'maggot'
    « Reply #11 on: Sun 12 May 11:33 2019 »
    I ll post some pics shortly

Problem -  MORE fuel range needed

Fix= I ve added a 120L underfloor stainless tank and I also carry 2 x 23 L yamaha tanks and 2 x 10L tanks in the rear hatches , I have moved the Live Bait tank to the center of the boat to give extra storage on both sides at the transom . this should give me 400km range +100km reserve

Sounder problems - my Furuno 1670F has been horrible , it has failed on every trip and been back to be repaired after each , I loved my 585 I had on my last boat but after this I ll be steering clear of furuno from now on

Fix , well the boat show this month should sort this out , I ll update later

Batteries

Fix I have mounted two Optima bluetops up front , one start dedicated and one for the electronics .

Storage

Fix , I have added two extra hatches underfloor , I have managed to fill every nook and cranny with the flotation that I have removed so I didn t actually take any flotation out of the boat , in fact in theory the fuel tank adds flotation yeah .

I have also added rod storage holders

Hey mate, any chance you can put up some pics of the mods? I'm looking at making a few change to our 420 Renegade. Curious as to the bait tank move, floor storage, front batteries etc.

When my wife calls, tell her I'm in "Ah Me Ting".

Ah Me Ting: 2019 Quintrex 420 Renegade (50Hp Tohatsu)