September Weigh-In
THIS WEEKEND
Skinners Park Carbrook - ALL WELCOME

Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Sand Pumping Jetty 12 & 14 September  (Read 595 times)

Offline Joe k

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 347
  • -Receive: 575
  • Fishing everyday keeps the Dr. Away!
Sand Pumping Jetty 12 & 14 September
« on: Wed 12 Sep 09:37 2018 »
Hi Guys,

Went for a fish at 4.30am today and met up with Outsiderskip and Namllim. On arrival I spoke to several fishos who had fished from midnight or 2am and they had caught nothing. Looking out to sea it was a little rough with rollers stirring up the sand. I had no bites till after sunup, getting 3 hits for 2 hookups around 6.30am. I left early leaving our two mates to catch their brekky. Great catching up for a fish Outsiderskip and Namlim!
« Last Edit: Sat 15 Sep 11:13 2018 by Joe k »

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline namllim

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 440
Re: Sand Pumping Jetty 12 September
« Reply #1 on: Wed 12 Sep 15:51 2018 »
It was good to meet you in person Joe, and Pete as well. They shut the jetty down around 7am for the day so the maintenance crew could do their thing, hence there was no $4.40 fee. Pete left just before me and as I was leaving a guy from the end of the jetty came past with a 1.2 meter yellowtail kingfish. He said he has had them on in the past but this is the first one he has ever landed. He was pretty happy about that. Hope to see you down there again soon, otherwise it might not be until next years winter tailor season.

Offline Joe k

• Registered
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: Wed 12 Sep 22:47 2018 »
Hi Namllim! We are in the tail-end of the Tailor Season with fewer fish caught   but there are Greenbacks about! I may give it a try after dusk Thursday. Cheers!
« Last Edit: Sat 15 Sep 11:15 2018 by Joe k »

Offline Joe k

• Registered
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: Fri 14 Sep 05:45 2018 »
I arrived on the Jetty at 11pm and there were 30 fishos trying their luck. Most fish buckets were empty. The sea was flat and I decided to fish the beach at Sea World.

At 1.30am without a bite, I returned to the Jetty. There were a dozen fishos and no fish had been landed since 11pm. Sea conditions had changed with rollers starting to appear. I got my first bite at 2.15am. Feeling the weight of the fish, I slowly wound in the fish as it struggled with big head shakes. Fingers crossed as I started winching it up to the Jetty, landing a nice 54cm Greenback.

A few tailor showed up at 4am when my rod was yanked down hard. The Tailor fought hard in the strong current and I thought I had another Greenback. Cranking it up to the Jetty, it felt like a smaller fish but it was shaking like crazy, I thought the fish would throw the hook. Relieved, I eventually swung it over the pipeline, landing a fat hard fighting 49cm Tailor.

After I landed my second fish, I saw 2 similar sized fish landed 50 metres from me. I pulled up stumps at 5am seeking breakfast. This yearís great Tailor Run is fast coming to an end. Happy fishing guys!
« Last Edit: Sat 15 Sep 10:52 2018 by Joe k »

Offline MSB

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 94
  • -Receive: 94
« Reply #4 on: Fri 14 Sep 07:19 2018 »
Sea was quite rough with rollers starting at 2am. Only 4 Tailor landed when I left the Jetty at 5am. Season is fast coming to an end. Happy fishing guys!

Couple of nice fish Joe, good work
MSB

Offline Joe k

• Registered
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: Fri 14 Sep 07:48 2018 »
I kept the bigger fish and gave the second fish to a newbie.

Offline namllim

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 440
« Reply #6 on: Fri 14 Sep 14:48 2018 »
Nice going Joe and good of you to give one away. Tailor season coming to an end so I went out all day in my kayak on the Nerang on Thursday. Got 14 whiting between 30cm to 37cm on worms. I didn't take a photo this time, sorry. Whiting in the day on the Nerang in winter, but now its time to start going at night especially on a run out tide. Best of luck with the upcoming bass season.

Offline MSB

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 94
  • -Receive: 94
« Reply #7 on: Fri 14 Sep 16:19 2018 »
I kept the bigger fish and gave the second fish to a newbie.
Not only a good fisherman Joe but also a good bloke, good onya Joe

Offline Joe k

• Registered
  • Thank You
Re: Sand Pumping Jetty 12 & 14 September
« Reply #8 on: Sat 15 Sep 11:48 2018 »
Haha! Thanks MSB. For me, the Tailor was just another fish for the freezer and seeing the joy in the young fellaís eyes made it all worthwhile. I met him two days earlier when he scored a donut after fishing 7 hours. I guess we have all done the hard yards as we hone our fishing skills. Cheers!

Offline bondy99

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4856
  • -Receive: 1915
« Reply #9 on: Sun 16 Sep 13:59 2018 »
Joe K and others,

Well done to all,
Good to see someone catching good tailor and putting up the reports.

As Joe K stated , its almost finished for this winter season, numbers wise, there will be tailor year round but either out on the reefs making their way to Fraser Island and return Summer, more skinny.

I'll give it a crack from the SPJ later when conditions are favourable. Leg is not stable enough to use waders for beach effort.

Next year is a better option for me, I doubt next season will be as good as this Winter on the Gold Coast. A new rod is in the pipeline as well as Sea Lion braid I'm still awaiting from Victoria.

• My Awards Dolphinfish Over 120cm Whiting Over 40cm Sand crab over 16cm
  • The following members said thank you for your post

Offline Joe k

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #10 on: Sun 16 Sep 20:03 2018 »
    Thanks Namllim! Well done on those sweet Whiting. Itís long drive to the Jetty for 2 Tailor. I may make one last trip down the beach this week then give it away till next year. The Bass are on the bite all year round at the impoundment dams. Cheers!

anything