Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: New location for Nugget Fishing  (Read 997 times)

Offline Nugget

• G'day G'day
  • Administrator
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3694
  • VK4FIX
    • Nugget Outdoors
New location for Nugget Fishing
« on: Sun 12 Aug 10:31 2018 »
Finding a permanent home for our Club has been a long battle that we thought was over.
We were granted, by the local Council, shared access with the Navy Cadets, to the grounds at Ramu St Eagleby. While not perfect, it was great to have a shed, meeting room, storage and a fridge etc. The reason we were invited to share the facility was because of the dwindling number of cadets, the facility was not being utilised to its potential.
We were told it was a ‘use it or loose it’ ultimatum for the cadets, they needed Nugget Fishing’s membership and usage to justify the continuation of their lease.
We were told it was a permanent, long term arrangement.
Unfortunately, the Navy cadets have been less than accomodating, I won’t go into details, but it has been an uphill battle trying to share the facility, they have gone out of their way to make it difficult for our Club.
As a result of this, the Nugget Fishing committee decided that there was no future at this location, we needed our own permanent home.
At a few of our early weigh-ins, Logan Councillor Darren Power attended and was very supportive of what we were trying to promote for the local community.
As a first offer of support, Darren found quite a few hundred dollars in his budget to buy us two large gazebos, they are the ones you see at weigh-ins.
A few months ago we contacted Darren again to see if there was anything he could do to help.
I was surprised by his support - he said he wanted our Club in his electorate ( the northern side of the Logan River).
Darren has had to pull a lot of strings, negotiating with multiple Gov departments but he pulled off what I thought was going to be impossible.
Darren has secured a lease of land at Skinners Park for our Club.
It will take some time, funding through grants and work, but we now have a home, if on paper only at this stage.
The plan is to create facilities that will not only benefit members, but the entire fishing community.
This is the start of a legacy, a facility to benefit local anglers for many years to come.
It’s not going to be easy or simple, nothing good is, but when I look around at the great fishing clubs in SE Qld, they all started small from somewhere - and this is our opportunity.
The August 19th weigh in will be the last at the Ramu St premises, the September weigh in will be held at Skinners Park, when we plan to show members where the new Club grounds will be.
We will need a few helpers to empty out the Club shed after the August weigh-in, if anyone has some space to store some items, that would be great as well.

Rod Repairs and custom rods built - Message me for a free quote. https://www.facebook.com/groups/NuggetFishing

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline Nugget

• G'day G'day
  • Administrator
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3694
  • VK4FIX
    • Nugget Outdoors
Re: New location for Nugget Fishing
« Reply #1 on: Sun 12 Aug 10:35 2018 »
Rod Repairs and custom rods built - Message me for a free quote. https://www.facebook.com/groups/NuggetFishing

Offline saph

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #2 on: Sun 12 Aug 14:34 2018 »
Looks nice and right on the river aswell i forsee a boat ramp and wash station also a fair few prawn farms just down river.

Doesnt surprise me with cadets tbh they seem to have their heads in the clouds at times delt with some in my own town fishing on a spot i love and some try to take it as their own cause they claimed to be some high rank was fun to tell them it dont mean junk to me. And yes i know it may have been 'rude' to tell them to get lost but you dont get to talk to someone who will be serving to move from somewhere that they want plus i was already set up and well settled in my little corner of the jetty.
Of course I talk to my self while fishing.. sometimes I need expert advice!

On land line is a inanimate object. Under water it has a life of its own.

Offline Snowy

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 459
  • -Receive: 618
« Reply #3 on: Mon 13 Aug 12:23 2018 »

The new location get's a good vote from me.

A little history on Skinner's road from me: 75 years ago when my family and I lived at Manly, the main way to the Gold Coast from Manly was up Mt Cotton Road then down Skinners Road to the manual cable ferry, which you drove onto, then got out and helped the ferry master wind the hand wheel till you reached the southern bank. I was too young to know how much it cost but it was the way to go to the coast from Manly.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Snowy.
  • My Awards Sand crab over 20cm Sand crab over 16cm Whiting Over 40cm
  • The following members said thank you for your post

Offline rosco

• Global Moderator
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 949
    • -Receive: 1142
    • Club Treasurer
    « Reply #4 on: Tue 4 Sep 06:23 2018 »
    Hi,

Just a reminder that the September weigh in and all future weigh ins will be held at Skinners Park.

Cheers,

Ross
  • My Awards Cobia Over 100cm
  • The following members said thank you for your post

Offline the other line

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 5
    • -Receive: 11
    « Reply #5 on: Sun 16 Sep 08:57 2018 »
      Snowy    Found  this     https://www.rivervision.com.au/past/photos/27148 

The new location get's a good vote from me.

A little history on Skinner's road from me: 75 years ago when my family and I lived at Manly, the main way to the Gold Coast from Manly was up Mt Cotton Road then down Skinners Road to the manual cable ferry, which you drove onto, then got out and helped the ferry master wind the hand wheel till you reached the southern bank. I was too young to know how much it cost but it was the way to go to the coast from Manly.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Snowy.

Offline rayke1938

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 886
    • -Receive: 2296
    « Reply #6 on: Sun 16 Sep 11:06 2018 »
    What a fantastic collection.
    Cheers
    Ray

Offline bondy99

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 4880
    • -Receive: 1919
    « Reply #7 on: Tue 18 Sep 11:11 2018 »
    @ the other line

That's an awesome collection of photos showing some of the history of the area and its people. Great find

Bondy
  • My Awards Dolphinfish Over 120cm Whiting Over 40cm Sand crab over 16cm

•  

anything