Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 46
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Finally - a week of good weather at Iluka  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Freeeedom

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 882
  • -Receive: 1855
Finally - a week of good weather at Iluka
« on: Thu 9 Aug 06:02 2018 »
Just got back from another week long trip to Iluka chasing the winter fish, but this trip was different from most of my recent trips. There were no gales, days of constant rain, floods or other natural disasters which have almost become the norm. Instead the winds were light westerlies, the sea was calm and the waters incredibly clear. This meant that most days I could fish the front of the Iluka Bluff, which is always my first choice if conditions allow it. Usually at dawn there would be about half a dozen guys right across the headland casting lures for tailor, GT's or jew. Although I had my heavy gear with me, I fished the washes with lighter gear, waiting for someone to catch a tailor before I switched to casting and retrieving lures. Unfortunately it never happened. I did not see a single fish caught for the entire week, and all the lure fishermen had given up and gone home while I kept working the washes in close. The very clear water meant that there was only a small window of between 60 and 90 minutes each day before the sun got too bright and the bite shut down completely, but that was long enough for me to get a feed every day, with some nice fish amongst them. The quality of the bream and tarwhine was pretty good, and I only released a handful of undersize fish for the week. I got a few nice dart which would hit the bait almost at the water's edge as I retrieved it at speed to clear the rocks. I hooked one small jew on the bream gear and got him to the rocks, but had no hope of lifting him and eventually I lost him when the line touched the rocks. I don't think he would have been legal, but, knowing that there were jew there, I immediately switched to the heavy gear and hooked up on the next cast to a solid fish. When I was able to wash it ashore I was a bit surprised that it was a bream that went exactly 40cm. During the day, when the tides were high, I would fish the flats at Brown's Rocks for flathead and managed a few nice fish each time, mostly around the 45 - 52cm range. The water was so clear, that I could walk along the road and see the big lizards lying at the base of the rock wall, so close that I could have touched them with my rod tip. These big mamas were not interested in a bait, and would slowly move away when they saw you. I could cast beyond them and work the bait almost past their noses and they would simply turn away and cruise a few more metres before settling again. I fished the wall once getting only 3 bream for about 3 hours work, and tried the beach at night once without getting a single bite, but fishing the headland at dawn each morning in perfect conditions and getting a nice feed of quality fish was enough to keep me very happy for the week. I'm hoping to fit in one more trip this year before the weather starts to warm up.
Cheers Freeeedom

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline mighty quinn

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 719
  • -Receive: 1387
Re: Finally - a week of good weather at Iluka
« Reply #1 on: Thu 9 Aug 13:48 2018 »
Any one chasing luderick?
  • My Awards Sand crab over 16cm

• Offline Freeeedom

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #2 on: Thu 9 Aug 16:13 2018 »
    The sea was too calm to fish the luderick at the Bluff this trip. You need a big sea running to put some water over the rocks to stir the water in the gutter up a bit. The usual crowd of 'grumpy old men' were fishing for luderick at the old ferry crossing park, but I don't know if they were getting any. They use only 'Iluka black' weed for bait and someone has to die before you get one of the good spots there. You dare not sit too close to any of them or you'll start an international incident. I prefer to fish the luderick in the wild water around the ocean rocks where the quality of the fish is usually outstanding.
    Cheers Freeeedom

Offline Muzzab

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • -Receive: 8
    « Reply #3 on: Thu 9 Aug 20:36 2018 »
    I know what you mean about the grumpy old luderick fishermen down at that spot. I pulled up next to a guy last year and I could feel the vibes from where I parked the car. He caught a couple of respectable fish right in front of me, on the "secret black weed", while I struggled with my green weed and when it was time to leave, he upended his keeper net and tipped them out in front of me, all the while fixing me with a villainous stare. I would have bought the fish off him, but no outsider was getting their hands on those fish.

Some 35 years ago we holidayed in a flat in the main street of Iluka and I had such a great time that I wanted to retire there. My wife and son did not feel the same way, as they were not blinded by the great fishing to be had. They both felt the vibes from the locals and could never warm to the place. They didn't confide in me until I started looking at real estate down there.

Fortunately we moved to paradise, "i.e. Victoria Point" 28 years ago, but we still continued to go down to Iluka every year and never made a friend down there. Most trips were blown out by big southeasters and rain and we wonder now why we kept trying to fit in. The fishing had a lot to do with it for me. I have since retired at Vicky Point, so if you see me in my waders down the front,
     or out on the water, don't be afraid to ask me where they are biting. I won't bite your head off or freeze you out like those bloody southerners.

Muzz

Offline Red

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 3078
    • -Receive: 2432
    • Whatever...
    « Reply #4 on: Fri 10 Aug 13:15 2018 »
    haha ! - Santa in waders ! ;D ;D

Offline Freeeedom

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #5 on: Fri 10 Aug 15:35 2018 »
    LOL Red. That's not the first time! I get lots of funny looks from little kids when I'm out shopping. When the odd one gets the courage to come up and ask me my name, I don't disappoint them, but tell them not to tell anyone else because I'm on holidays. That really cracks the  mums right up!
    Cheers Freeeedom

Offline Freeeedom

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #6 on: Wed 12 Sep 16:56 2018 »
    Just got back from another (and the last for this year) week at Iluka. The weather wasn't quite so kind, with fairly strong northerlies for the first few days, then a bit of rain and a couple of storms, followed by 15 - 20 knot southerlies. There were large piles of brown seaweed rotting on most of the northern facing beaches, and for the first time in my memory, a fair bit of snot weed in the river, which shut down a couple of sessions where I was chasing flathead. I fished the wall a few times getting about half a dozen bream each session without any outstanding fish. On the last couple of mornings I managed to fish the Bluff despite a reasonable swell running and getting fairly wet for my efforts, but the quality of the fish was greatly improved. The best session was the last, on Tuesday morning, when I was joined by a nephew, who lives a bit down the coast at Minnie Waters. He was stoked when, using a home made hard bodied lure and on his third cast, he landed a nice jew of about 7 or 8 kilos - the first time he'd taken a jew on that lure. All I could manage was 5 good bream and another decent dart. Until next winter!!!
    Cheers Freeeedom