Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Hervey Bay family / fishing trip  (Read 815 times)

Offline NoobBoatie

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 369
  • -Receive: 90
Hervey Bay family / fishing trip
« on: Wed 20 Jun 08:30 2018 »
Hi all,

Taking the family and boat (only a 5m) to Hervey bay next week staying at Urangan. Can anyone help me out with general direction of where to head out (not offshore) just for a fish or two ?

Is it still the go to load/unload boat at the Urangan Boat harbour ? or should I be driving another 10mins to get to Riverhead ?
Any suggestion for a mark to head to a anchor up ? If I want to head to Fraser island says near King Fisher resort should I be launching at Riverhead?
A lot of shallow waters around that I can see on the Beacon 2 Beacon guide so don't really want to get stuck out there...

Many thanks.

Offline crabby1

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 68
  • -Receive: 426
Re: Hervey Bay family / fishing trip
« Reply #1 on: Wed 20 Jun 11:36 2018 »
River heads can be dangerous with wrong wind as it is exposed. Or use to be 20yrs ago.

The boat harbour offers safer launching.

Head out and around towards the pier. It use to go out to the channel to load sugar anywhere along that drop off to the habour should be school mackeral and GT. Up on the flats be winter whiting.

I found over Moon Pt way and around the Islands that the tide really rules your fishing times.
Full moon on 28th so personally be avoiding those areas.

Stay close to the habour and fish for winters like the masses with one under a float and hope for mackeral or GT to smash it. If family holiday that way I would go

Or if weather permits and have the fuel range and safety gear an over night stay up at Roonies Pt and nail the reefies. We use to go straight to moon pt and few hundred metres off the beach to get there rather than smash our way across the paddock

Make sure grab a copy of the"Frazer coast and sandy Strait Marine Parks" booklet and check green zone and fishing rod numbers and hooks regs.

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline NoobBoatie

• Registered
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: Wed 20 Jun 12:08 2018 »
Thanks Crabby, apparently Riverhead has had a new pontoon/ramp put in so may be better than what you remember.
I'll stick to the harbour and do what you suggested. Hope the weather god is kind.

Cheers

Offline crabby1

• Registered
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: Wed 20 Jun 13:09 2018 »
The whiting be easy to find.
Good caravan  park an look for look grey nomad with boat.
Ask them.
They be there filling their freezer before moving on

Offline lowey

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 67
« Reply #4 on: Wed 20 Jun 17:32 2018 »
The whiting be easy to find.
Good caravan  park an look for look grey nomad with boat.
Ask them.
They be there filling their freezer before moving on

Unfortunately so true crabby. Seen it in S.A as well.
Bruce

Offline bondy99

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4860
  • -Receive: 1916
« Reply #5 on: Wed 20 Jun 22:47 2018 »
Another good place is on Urangan Pier, from about the middle for diver whiting, move up towards the end for Tuna, GT, Mackerel, Shark, Queenies. Also good spot to catch squid. Obviously state of tide and day / night governs fishing options.

I've been on this pier few times in the past and done good, and the good thing about this pier there is no fee to pay to go fishing on it, unlike the one at the SPJ down Southport Spit.

Bondy
  • My Awards Dolphinfish Over 120cm Whiting Over 40cm Sand crab over 16cm
  • The following members said thank you for your post

Offline NoobBoatie

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #6 on: Thu 5 Jul 10:12 2018 »
    Thanks guys for the suggestions.

We did have one good day on Sunday heading out from Boat Harbour around Woody Island, got on to the whitings. Didn't quite bag out (about 40ish caught) but had enough for a meal. Caught a couple of just undersized squires, and 2 legals.

Then the wind picked up on Mondays and that's it for us. We didn't even try the pier, only see people catching bait fishes there with bait jig rig. Was windy as. Fisheries must not be checking the pier cause I could see what was a couple of 15-20cm max snappers being kept in a live well by a guy that looked like a local.

Overall the place was nice and we'll come back but just wish we had better weather. 1 day out of 4 wasn't enough reeling therapy for me nor the missus. Kids had a blast with bike path, cinema and timezone anyway.

Offline crabby1

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #7 on: Thu 5 Jul 12:20 2018 »
    Should have suggested on way back come down coast road from Marybrough to Gympie.
    Have a look at Boonaroo,  Poona as nd Big Tuan as possible places to stay fish the waters of Sandy Straights one time.

All tide access and petrol supply is 2 biggest issues for boats.
    Insect repellant and long clothing for bities is issue as well.

Still you caught feed and was smashed about while out

Offline Fisharwashe

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 201
    • -Receive: 251
    « Reply #8 on: Sat 7 Jul 18:25 2018 »
    Mate, just for reference, what you caught (based on pics) are Northern Whiting, they have a catch limit of 30/boat so I'm assuming your 40ish statement was an accidental hit on the keyboard and meant to read ALMOST 30   :o ??? ::)  There's always a place  when wind blows and around structure such as piers is a place to find structure.. ;)  plus kids love it

Offline NoobBoatie

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #9 on: Thu 12 Jul 08:53 2018 »
    Mate, just for reference, what you caught (based on pics) are Northern Whiting, they have a catch limit of 30/boat so I'm assuming your 40ish statement was an accidental hit on the keyboard and meant to read ALMOST 30   :o ??? ::)  There's always a place  when wind blows and around structure such as piers is a place to find structure.. ;)  plus kids love it

Thanks mate, 40ish caught..not kept :)