Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Dual Battery System Install  (Read 776 times)

Offline Muzzab

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
Dual Battery System Install
« on: Sun 27 May 16:33 2018 »
Anyone know how to do this without spending $1600, as quoted by a well known 4x4 parts and accessories company. I know that AGM batteries can cost $400 plus, but all I want to do is run a fridge freezer in the back tray.

Muzz

Offline CrabFree

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 34
Re: Dual Battery System Install
« Reply #1 on: Sun 27 May 18:28 2018 »
Is it a ute ?
Why not mount battery in tray with 2 anderson plugs connected with an isolator

One anderson plug for solar trickle charger and the second to plug in the fridge

Its not "mainstream" but it'll work

Prob not the setup if fridge is in ute daily

Its usually the wiring & VSR that costs the most for proper alternator install

Offline crabby1

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 68
  • -Receive: 412
« Reply #2 on: Sun 27 May 18:55 2018 »
How many days?
What fridge brand and size?
Do you expect it it to cool or freeze fish or meat while away?

Do you have roof space to hard fix solar panel?
Do you all ready have set of folding 12v solar panels all ready?
How many engine hours each day would you average?
Is there anything other than few led lights that want to run for 4hrs as at night? Charge smart phone, tablets or portable battery pack as well?

What does $1600 get you?
110amp agm battery in basic plastic battery box with no extra outlet except maybe cigarette and merit outlet strapped down in tray?
With basic dcdc charger with no solar input?

If Engal or Weaco just run 6mm square to tray and 50amp anderson plug. 50amp anderson on fridge lead and plug in.
Set cut off voltage to highest setting and fridge turns off when viltage drops below pre set voltage and should be enough start engine next morning. Requires you doing 3 to 4 engine hours per day so fridge still cool for trip home. Best to vacuum seal meat and sensitive foods. Your icecreams may melt but should only $120 for parts.

If have all ready have set of folding solar panels set them out when can do so during the day and connect to cranking battery.

If doing cranking only run fridge on 240 v power overnight before going and next morning stack fridge with food and drinks pre chilled  so in fridge they balance out with out heating fridge too much. Stack fridge so last food going to eat is closest to cooling plates in fridge.  Helps avoid spoiling
That way when leave home on Friday  after work your battery will be fully charged and fridge at as cool as required. Should be good untill Sunday arvo when go to head home.
If turn fridge off when go to bed and on again when get up in morning should get by for long weekend as well unless middle summer.

I have 3 vehicles all set up different that run fridges. 2 the fridges are turned on 24/7 and other runs fridge while at work or trips away.

Each total different set ups but work as I require.

My standard answer is Victron 75/15 MPPT and household solar panel to 250w panel. With wiring should under $500

Offline JackDawg

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 348
« Reply #3 on: Mon 28 May 05:31 2018 »
I would avoid " well known company" mate had them install a dual battery system 2 weeks ago in his brand new Dmax, at the aforementioned premium price, his wife was crook saturday night, went to fire up the ute to take her to hospital - nothing. ended up calling the ambulance.
Investigating it sunday morning, it appears ar$holes totally stuffed up the install, main battery flat as a tack,  had not been charging at all. He will be giving them a visit first thing this morning.......
  • My Awards Yellowbelly Over 50cm

• Offline crabby1

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #4 on: Mon 28 May 14:57 2018 »
    There something about wiring dual batteries  that some suspension and accessories places will never fully understand.

Person I know had the dcdc charger installed near his main cpu on Hilux.

First real weekend away the cpu overhead and was in limp mode. Ended up having it tilt trayed the last 180km home.

The extra heat from dcdc charger working hard fried the cpu of hilux. Was not cheap to replace and add towing costs.

Get an auto electrian rather than 4wd shop to do it if going to pay $1500.

Contact Crob8 for battery before buying elsewhere.

Offline BigBoat

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 17
    • -Receive: 91
    « Reply #5 on: Mon 28 May 16:44 2018 »
    Have done my last 2 vehicles with second battery. Easy as.

1 Run second battery off main battery through an isolator.  A Projecta isolator will cost under $100.  Make sure you use heavy cable to ensure a good charge off the alternator via main battery.

2 Get a battery gauge off eBay so you can read volts in second battery

3 Use cable from 2nd battery to long through a solar regulator to an Anderson plug. Mount solar panels or use portable panels and link to second battery through Anderson plug.

You could include a DC to DC charger if you wish but I haven't worried.

Fuse all circuits at 50 amps

Happy for to to look at my set up or even give you a hand. I am at Capalaba. PM me if you want a hand

BB

BigBoat
    532F Signature 115HP Yammie 4 Banger
    Quinnie 350 15HP Yammie 2 Stroker

Offline crabby1

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #6 on: Tue 29 May 10:04 2018 »
    Bigboat ,  thats a good way to do it as well especially cost wise. It may not be perfect but will work for most people.

Plus then have option of leaving battery ,  fridge and solar panels in camp if need tray free or dont need be lugging fridge everywhere

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline Muzzab

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #7 on: Thu 31 May 11:14 2018 »
    Thanks for all of your replies guys. I will work my way through them and post what I come up with, before buying anything. All ideas posted have helped greatly. I had a bit of an idea but this reinforces those ideas.

I will probably just run the fridge when I'm camping/hunting, that way I can keep the deep cycle battery charged while running around. Fridge won't be used 24/7 otherwise.

Thanks again, Muzz.

Offline Muzzab

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #8 on: Tue 12 Jun 13:23 2018 »
    Working through the dual battery install and have come up with the following - 1. Install second (120ah deep cycle lead acid) battery in space provided under bonnet, 2. Run cabling from crank bat, through a Projector DCDC 20 or 25amp charger (with solar capability for later panel install) to the deep cycle aux bat, 3. Run heavy cabling back to Anderson plug in tray for fridge/freezer hookup. A 150 amp solar panel can be put on the canopy and hooked up through the DCDC charger, to trickle charge the aux bat, when standing for long periods. All required ground wires taken back to chassis. 50 amp fuses on heavy cables and 15 amp on wires between aux bat, solar panels and fridge.

I should get out of dual battery stage for around $600 and then look at solar panel setup later. I might have to seek advice on wiring configuration, before I start, but I think I have everything covered. Am I close?

Muzz

Offline crabby1

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #9 on: Tue 12 Jun 18:45 2018 »
    Yes lead acid in engine bay.
    Dont put agm battery in there as be lucky get year as heat kills them

Personally would go twin cable and crank to dcdc and dcdc to deep cycle. Plus deep cycle to rear anderson.
    Modern vehicle have that much sentitive electrics that dont want to add and possible leakage or noise to affect sensors these days.

In rear have twin anderson so fridge off one and lights off other. Twin 2.1 amp usb outlet while wiring as everything charges of them these days.

On front bullbar some mount anderson plug for solar infeed if using folding panels plus anderson plug off deep cycle so run stuff or hook up 240v charger so not having to open bonnet all the time

Amazes  me how much my twin usb gets used.
    Mine isnt lockable so other week was away for 6day hunt. After day 3 most dual battery set ups stopped working as all dcdc setups and only one other had solar. Guys where idling for 1hour morning and one hour evening to keep fridges going.
    Come back from hunt and be 2items charging out of my usb outlet ;)
    Neither be mine

Offline Muzzab

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #10 on: Sun 17 Jun 17:18 2018 »
    I took the easy way out and bought a battery box "with the lot" from Springers Solar and RV Electricals up at Capalaba. With the limited time I had before going up the bush on Friday and with next to no auto electrical experience, it seemed like the smart thing to do. The 25amp Projector DC-DC charger is built in, as is an auto "low battery power" cutoff switching, to save the 120ah AGM deep cycle battery.

The 75L Dual Zone Kickass Fridge/Freezer (Evacool) arrived on Wednesday, just after I put in the Dunn & Watson "Black Edition" fridge slide. I bought the battery box on Thursday and had it all set up by that afternoon. The fridge/freezer did not put much of a dent in the battery charge over night and never got below 13.0V for much of the weekend, sitting on 13.6V most of the time. I don't run the fridge 24/7, so may not need a solar panel after all.

Muzz

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline crabby1

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #11 on: Mon 18 Jun 12:22 2018 »
    They be the only mob I would let touch my 12v vehicle electrics.
    I buy most of my gear off them and staff know me ::)

Did they supply the box or is that a kick ass battery box?

Very neat looking set up as can remove from ute and set of folding panels let it charge.

Is there just a 50amp plig to connect to battery box? If fridge has same plug for day trips be safe to run off cranking battery only and leave deep cycle at home if it is not in your lockable area

Make sure your folding panels are wired to use it direct to the dcdc.

My experience from observing others is yes 90% of 2 night trips where having 2 engine hours on middle day no need for solar so most weekends your fine.

3 night trips like long weekend again 2 hrs of engine time a day the fridge will still cool well.

It once past 3 nights and less than 2 engines hours per day that the fridge battery draws down that far it wont cool. Plus drawing battery below 20% capacity will shortern its service life heaps.
    People that do discharge more than 20% regularly will get less than 2 years out of battery. Discharge it even once 50% and thats knock heaps of cycle life of battery.

If got some folding panels and can connect them I would do so as only going to help.

If doing week trip or more I personally would have that battery being tickled up.

Will have to check it out sometime ;)

Offline beach bum

• Global Moderator
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1146
    • -Receive: 758
    • fishing use a lure. Catching take live bait
    « Reply #12 on: Mon 18 Jun 15:52 2018 »
    I like the idea of it being removable so could be moved from car to car or left back at a main camp. I have done a similar setup to run my camp lights on family trips in mrs 4x4  and live bait tank on solo trips in my ute. 
    Looking forward to the next trip

Offline Muzzab

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #13 on: Mon 18 Jun 16:10 2018 »
    crabby1,
    It is a Springers battery box and I remove it when not camping. I couldn't get a decent sized deep cycle battery in the space provided by Toyota under the bonnet, so went for the portable setup. 160W single solar panel will be going on the canopy this week.

Muzz

Offline crabby1

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #14 on: Mon 18 Jun 17:27 2018 »
    Cold beer is sweet when going away from home and bring back meat in good condition is another bonus.

Glad you didnt go to 4wd mob for the install. This setup will be a great thing. Plus next vehicle will only require the cabling to tray. So saving long term

12v setups are great interest to me.
    Seen some good gear recently

anything