Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: New moon donut  (Read 354 times)

Offline beach bum

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1063
  • -Receive: 695
  • fishing use a lure. Catching take live bait
New moon donut
« on: Wed 16 May 22:56 2018 »
I had Monday's new moon tagged as a highlight in the fishing for the year with the solunar going 100% in the afternoon however work got in the way and leaving Bris later than hoped meant traffic on the way to the spit at the coast was rubbish I picked up some worms from the gem as it was getting dark n got to the coast in the dark to meet up with a mate of mine Pete the phantom plumber who had been caught up in the same traffic even though he had finnshed work 2hrs earlier. We both had two rods, buckets n the normal stuff humped over the dune at the life saving tower just south of the sand pumping jetty I had high hopes for Jew so I was running a 4oh with 30lb leader n 9kg mono main line. I had packed a second rod with 6 kg mono for tailor to use as bait or to put back out fresh tailor or whatever else we came across on some 6-8 oh snoods live or striped. But as we got down to the surf we could see the sweep was running hard from the south so the second rods were put on the bench. So still putting my Jew blinders on I put on the biggest sinker I had a 12 ball n a worm n Pete put on an 8 n we mucked around for a bit watching our baits rocket North. So we figured thst at some point between us n the seaway wall there had to be a rip n it should calm down in the corner so we went for a walk. Pete had a health break ( smoke ) and I had a few casts just north of the pumping jetty but it was still headed north so we humped our gear further North till we found the rip. At this point it was pretty much turn of the high so I was sticking to what I had came for n Pete went lighter. We had a bit of dune grass tangled occasionally but workable we Pulled the pin just after 11pm.

Pete ended up with a half dozen large chrome surf bream most mid 30's n I just feed them i guess, I could feel the taps n was striking hoping for glory( I just wanted a Jew )so I didn't drop hook size to a 1 or 2 the hedge my bets n the next morning my missus and n my eldest have had a go at me for not bringing anything home when I could have. Cheating n broke back mountain theroys were thrown about Untill I tryed to explain the highs n lows of targeting Jew in the surf to my wife. My son just asked to see the big fishy before I cut him up.

Surf bream is one of my preferred table fish so it did go through my mind to change tactics  but I had gone there with a plan that didn't come off n I'm still trying to figure out where I went wrong.

Was I just wasting my time fishing on the moon? I've done better in the lead up.
Was it missing the solunar peak?
Was it the location? There's plenty of Jew in the seaway
Did I not stay long enough with work the next day?
Should I have packed more rum?
Or is it just another diary entry with a 0 in the life of a wannabe "Jew fishermen".

I'd put up a photo but I'm sure you know what an empty esky looks like.
« Last Edit: Wed 16 May 23:25 2018 by beach bum »
Looking forward to the next trip

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline jewwie

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 65
  • -Receive: 57
Re: New moon donut
« Reply #1 on: Thu 17 May 17:23 2018 »
I feel for ya and I think most of us have had that debate with ourselves when we're targeting one species and another species are biting.  At least you're keeping the posts going on the "Surf" reports.  Look forward to the next one with a photo of a jew (any jew will do!).
Cheers

Offline bondy99

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4660
  • -Receive: 1799
« Reply #2 on: Fri 18 May 00:02 2018 »
Good onya Beach Bum for putting up a surf report, I'm sure there are others in the club that have fished the beach but don't bother writing. I'll be writing up a report from my beach effort next week, hopefully wont encounter the strong sweep as you guys have. Could be at Cabarita, Black Rock, Fingal Headland or Tallows Beach down at Byron Bay.
Cheers
  • My Awards Dolphinfish Over 120cm Whiting Over 40cm Sand crab over 16cm
  • The following members said thank you for your post

Offline MSB

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 45
    • -Receive: 72
    « Reply #3 on: Sun 20 May 06:25 2018 »
    What type of rum you using mate, could be it
    MSB

Offline beach bum

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1063
    • -Receive: 695
    • fishing use a lure. Catching take live bait
    « Reply #4 on: Sun 20 May 08:41 2018 »
    What type of rum you using mate, could be it
    MSB

Had to drive so only a few nips of small batch. Normally I'm on the original bundy or red bundy rum n only have to make it 50 meters back to my bed in the back of my ute for a snooze on a normal beach trip where I'm there for a few days on the beaches you can put a car on.

But I'm with you apart from fishing on the night of the actual moon I think that was my other main mistake 😎
    Looking forward to the next trip