Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Beach exclusion zone????  (Read 601 times)

Offline gordo4444

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 256
  • -Receive: 221
Beach exclusion zone????
« on: Thu 26 Apr 11:06 2018 »
Forgot to add to school mack report that on the way back to seaway I was running just inside shark nets a few hundred m’s off the beach just after Narrowneck….looking for inshore action.  A surf club jet ski came and flagged me down to say too close, I said come again (etc etc).  Story is there’s a Gold Coast council by law for an exclusion zone for boats / jet ski’s from beach to 400m offshore.
Fisheries apparently can and have been issuing fines (now that generates q’s, how can they if not council etc).  Sort of makes sense for jet ski’s in too close to swimmer’s / surfers and he said there’s a small zone south of pumping jetty which allows jet ski’s.  We chatted a bit and for example heading to Scottish Prince (not sure if <400m) for livies might mean running further out then coming straight in to it.
Got me thinking about tailor season and running along surf looking for action…anyone heard this?  I too thought BS but he seemed genuine and trying to avoid me a fine.
  • My Awards Catching a squid over 30cm Mangrove Jack Over 55cm Sand crab over 16cm Trevally Over 60cm Spotty Mackerel Over 80cm

• Offline Nugget

• G'day G'day
    • Administrator
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 2
    • -Receive: 3572
      • Nugget Outdoors
    Re: Beach exclusion zone????
    « Reply #1 on: Thu 26 Apr 12:35 2018 »
    I'm not aware of any such law, I've just spent a few min Googling and can't find any reference to it.
    If it is true, they should have made it known.
    They can't just make laws and fine people for breaking them without plenty of notification!
    I always stay wide of the shark nets, I'd like to know if there are any signs, I've never seen any.
    Rod Repairs and custom rods built - Message me for a free quote

Offline gordo4444

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 256
    • -Receive: 221
    « Reply #2 on: Thu 26 Apr 13:46 2018 »
    Agree completely clubbie  said it's not widely known and causing dramss.. No there's no signage on any nets or the new markers around Narrowneck sandbags.  I just rang fisheries at main beach, he knew of it, said its a gccc by law, a reserve to 400m out with no boating activity, he couldn't say if activity includes a tailor fish outisde the break. However he said fisheries dont police it....so mixed messages as usual. I have heard there is a fisheries crew which go a bit over the top ....
  • My Awards Catching a squid over 30cm Mangrove Jack Over 55cm Sand crab over 16cm Trevally Over 60cm Spotty Mackerel Over 80cm

• Offline cus

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 68
    • -Receive: 70
    « Reply #3 on: Thu 26 Apr 14:46 2018 »
    When I went for my JetSki license there was something about a 400m protected square around the red and yellow swimming flags.

It makes sense to be away from the shark control gear but it shouldn't stop people from fishing.
  • My Awards Tailor Over 70cm
  • The following members said thank you for your post

Offline robgr

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • -Receive: 1
    « Reply #4 on: Mon 30 Apr 17:01 2018 »
    Found a little info relating to PWC so I guess that is the by law they were referring to.  http://www.swellnet.com/news/swellnet-dispatch/2018/02/20/gold-coasts-tow-code-conduct

The following members said thank you for your post