Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Sooty Grunter  (Read 588 times)

Offline Outcast

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 386
  • -Receive: 1350
Sooty Grunter
« on: Sat 14 Apr 10:51 2018 »
River was up a bit and pretty grotty and things were looking sad with only one fish for 5 hours, had a move 20 odd k's to some new territory and paddled till I found them, shame I ran out of daylight with still so much water still to explore but certainly worth the effort in the end.
Cheers.

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline snap1946

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 24
Re: Sooty Grunter
« Reply #1 on: Sat 14 Apr 19:00 2018 »
what are those little bait stealer fish they catch in the dams every calls sooty grunter
  cheers snap

Offline Odyssea

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 233
  • -Receive: 324
« Reply #2 on: Sun 15 Apr 09:53 2018 »
Getting bored of the yellas? You must have spent a few hours in the car to find these? I am guessing North of Rocky?
  • My Awards Snapper Over 80cm Flathead Over 80cm Dolphinfish Over 120cm Mulloway Over 100cm Mac Tuna Over 80cm Tuna Over 100cm Spotty Mackerel Over 80cm Marlin Over 100cm Threadfin Salmon Over 80cm
  • Quality over quantity

Offline Outcast

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #3 on: Sun 15 Apr 11:19 2018 »
    I'd say you're thinking of Barred Grunter or Black Banded Grunter Snap, Northern species introduced to SEQ for some reason.
    You're about 5 hrs to far Nth Jeremy ;)

Offline Odyssea

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #4 on: Mon 16 Apr 16:25 2018 »
    I'd say I am thinking of Sooty Grunter....

From Wikipedia "The sooty grunter (Hephaestus fuliginosus), also known by the name black bream, is a species of fish which inhabits coastal and inland freshwater creeks and rivers of northern Australia: from the upper Burdekin River in Queensland to the Daly River in the Northern Territory." Burdekin River is Townsville.

What am I missing?
  • My Awards Snapper Over 80cm Flathead Over 80cm Dolphinfish Over 120cm Mulloway Over 100cm Mac Tuna Over 80cm Tuna Over 100cm Spotty Mackerel Over 80cm Marlin Over 100cm Threadfin Salmon Over 80cm
  • Quality over quantity

Offline rayke1938

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 868
    • -Receive: 2266
    « Reply #5 on: Mon 16 Apr 17:17 2018 »
    Sooty grunter are now established in rivers running into Hervey Bay which is a real worry on their impact on endangered freshwater species.
    Cheers
    Ray

Offline Outcast

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #6 on: Tue 17 Apr 08:31 2018 »
    I'd say I am thinking of Sooty Grunter....

From Wikipedia "The sooty grunter (Hephaestus fuliginosus), also known by the name black bream, is a species of fish which inhabits coastal and inland freshwater creeks and rivers of northern Australia: from the upper Burdekin River in Queensland to the Daly River in the Northern Territory." Burdekin River is Townsville.

What am I missing?

I'd say you're thinking of Barred Grunter or Black Banded Grunter Snap, Northern species introduced to SEQ for some reason.
    This part was in reply to Snap1946's question Jerramy, nothing to do with my Sooties.

Offline Odyssea

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #7 on: Tue 17 Apr 17:32 2018 »
    Interesting stuff. Thanks
  • Quality over quantity

anything