Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Good aluminium hull repairer.  (Read 2315 times)

Offline bazinga

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 24
Good aluminium hull repairer.
« on: Tue 16 Jan 12:43 2018 »
Anybody know of a good aluminum hull repairer on the south side?  I found about a dozen holes in the hull of my 4.6m side console and after removing the flooring found there are a lot more holes about to emerge.  I believe I have rectified the electrolosis problem where by the front battery for the electric motor that was in contact with a bulkhead.
Any help would be appreciated.

Online mighty quinn

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 720
  • -Receive: 1390
Re: Good aluminium hull repairer.
« Reply #1 on: Tue 16 Jan 16:42 2018 »
Anybody know of a good aluminum hull repairer on the south side?  I found about a dozen holes in the hull of my 4.6m side console and after removing the flooring found there are a lot more holes about to emerge.  I believe I have rectified the electrolosis problem where by the front battery for the electric motor that was in contact with a bulkhead.
Mate I have a 4.2 Quintrex that developed pin holes through out the floor plate 12 years ago,I was a gun ally welder in the past but you are kidding yourself chasing holes in that rubbish I wouldn't even tackle my own boat it was pretty badly oxidized.
What I did was got a tube of Selleys Metalic Cement, it's a single pack no mixing product, sand paper the area around the hole and with your thumb swipe a thin layer over the area and hole, you can do both sides if you like.
In 12 years I've never had one let me down.
May not be what you want to do it wasn't my first choice either but it works great, most of my mates used it now instead of off to the nearest Ally welder with their wallet in hand.This stuff is almost pure ally and sets in under a Minutes.
Cheers
MQ

« Last Edit: Fri 2 Feb 20:35 2018 by Taylyn it »
  • My Awards Sand crab over 16cm
  • The following members said thank you for your post

Offline bazinga

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #2 on: Tue 16 Jan 20:43 2018 »
    Mighty Quinn.  Thank you very much for your prompt reply.  I can see getting the established holes fixed will only be a short term solution. This product you mentioned appears to be the ideal problem solver as I can repair the soon to be holes before they appear.  I will give this a go and report back accordingly.  Thanks again. 

Offline Millsy

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 147
    • -Receive: 3
    « Reply #3 on: Wed 17 Jan 14:33 2018 »

You could try a bloke I have used in the past, certified marine welding. And he is mobile.
    Rod Wintzloff - 0406819045

Online mighty quinn

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 720
    • -Receive: 1390
    « Reply #4 on: Wed 17 Jan 17:45 2018 »
    Get yourself a wire brush and emery paper and your away.you will only use a fraction of the tube which is about $10. I stick a bit of plastic bag between the cap and the tube to stop it going hard you don't have to do everything at once it will last for months if you look after it.

• My Awards Sand crab over 16cm
  • The following members said thank you for your post

Offline bazinga

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #5 on: Sun 21 Jan 20:12 2018 »
    Had the boat booked into an aluminum repairer to see what their opinion was on the problem. The owner of the factory had a look and felt the boat was well worth saving.  He gave me a very cheap quote to drill and weld the 12 holes.  Some of the holes were in positions where I could not fill from the top so I agreed.  I left the boat the afternoon and it was ready the next morning.

He repaired 16 and charged me less than what he quoted me!  Needless to say I was very happy.  I then went home and wire brushed, sanded and filled the remaining pit marks from the inside using Selleys Metallic fix.  Product was easy to apply and looks like aluminum.  Floor boards back in and ready to go again.

If anyone is interest, the repairer operates out of a small workshop at Moorooka.  His name is Steven Shore Ph 0416273351

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline Manny

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 154
    • -Receive: 98
    • Manny
    « Reply #6 on: Fri 2 Feb 12:08 2018 »
    I had a few things done to my Tinny. I got a quote from Ty Kennedy at Coorparoo. They did a great job at a reasonable price.

anything