Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: 2018 Prawns  (Read 41030 times)

Offline Whirly

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 153
  • -Receive: 170
Re: 2018 Prawns
« Reply #240 on: Sat 14 Apr 10:46 2018 »
I tried yesterday morning from Jacobs Well to the Power Lines - for a grand total of 3!  (That's 3 individual prawns - not three litres)

Got 'em at the power lines.
I've never been to the Power Lines before (pretty new to the prawning game - though I've had an excellent net for a few years).

I was hoping to see a few boats milling around a certain spot when I got there, to give me a tip. But alas - no other boats, though I scanned hard with my binoculars.

I sounded out a large area and never came across a cloud - just a small gathering occasionally.

I'm sure I recall seeing a prawning map on here a few years ago - but can't seem to find it through searches.

Anyway - I was actually pretty happy with my effort yesterday - my net casting was on point and I got the feel of a new location.
(It's pretty hard work on your own, without an electric - which is coming soon - so I can't wait to get my first bucket full! I know it's coming, just not sure which year. Lol).

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline FordGT

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 46
« Reply #241 on: Mon 16 Apr 12:23 2018 »
I tried yesterday morning from Jacobs Well to the Power Lines - for a grand total of 3!  (That's 3 individual prawns - not three litres)

Got 'em at the power lines.
I've never been to the Power Lines before (pretty new to the prawning game - though I've had an excellent net for a few years).

I was hoping to see a few boats milling around a certain spot when I got there, to give me a tip. But alas - no other boats, though I scanned hard with my binoculars.

I sounded out a large area and never came across a cloud - just a small gathering occasionally.

I'm sure I recall seeing a prawning map on here a few years ago - but can't seem to find it through searches.

Anyway - I was actually pretty happy with my effort yesterday - my net casting was on point and I got the feel of a new location.
(It's pretty hard work on your own, without an electric - which is coming soon - so I can't wait to get my first bucket full! I know it's coming, just not sure which year. Lol).

Sunday I tried from Saltworks to Powerlines for a total of 6 prawns. Got them at the powerlines were about 30 boat were trying as well.

This morning went to Nudgee; about 30 boats, 0 prawns. Most people had left by about 8:00am. Beautiful morning though.

Nudgee season usually last longer than this? First season at Nudgee so not sure what's normal.

Offline Henry

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #242 on: Tue 17 Apr 08:10 2018 »
Got 6 litres southside yesterday at the green beacons off Russell. Couldn't find anything at Redland or Saltwork. Had a look at powerlines after the beacons. There were a few boats and a scattering of prawns. I suspect they had all been cleaned up by the time I got there

Offline FordGT

• Registered
  • Thank You
« Reply #243 on: Tue 17 Apr 10:29 2018 »
Got 6 litres southside yesterday at the green beacons off Russell.

In the Main Channel?

Offline Gizgu

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #244 on: Tue 17 Apr 11:07 2018 »
The prawns have been coming on a few hours after the high tide for the past week, I think most people have been leaving too early, probably due to the large tides and the new moon that has just gone. Still have to look for them but they are rising later in the tide around half out. Hope this helps 😀😀👍👍👍

Offline Henry

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #245 on: Tue 17 Apr 13:06 2018 »
Ford GT. Yes in the main channel. NW of Browns Bay

Offline suerob

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 69
  • -Receive: 121
« Reply #246 on: Tue 17 Apr 14:15 2018 »
Sunday I tried from Saltworks to Powerlines for a total of 6 prawns. Got them at the powerlines were about 30 boat were trying as well.

This morning went to Nudgee; about 30 boats, 0 prawns. Most people had left by about 8:00am. Beautiful morning though.

Nudgee season usually last longer than this? First season at Nudgee so not sure what's normal.
you left nudgee too early, i had returned to near boat ramp throwing net, and 3 boats there took off outside about 8-30 or so...well, i HAD to follow them, they turned left and we did also....20litres of big prawns by 11-30, out from sandgate jetty past the green zone

Offline prawnin pete

• Supporter
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 534
  • -Receive: 1517
« Reply #247 on: Tue 17 Apr 17:17 2018 »
They were good today. Not widespread. Just a small patch, but thick.I took Coen out. She had a ball!

Offline prawnin pete

• Supporter
  • Registered
  • Thank You
« Reply #248 on: Tue 17 Apr 17:18 2018 »
And scored some nice bycatch too. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Gizgu

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #249 on: Tue 17 Apr 18:45 2018 »
Hey Stan, nice thready,  did you get it in the net? Southside? Cheers Victor

Offline prawnin pete

• Supporter
  • Registered
  • Thank You
« Reply #250 on: Wed 18 Apr 03:55 2018 »
yes. I average about, one per year. Never damaged my net for a change.

Offline FordGT

• Registered
  • Thank You
« Reply #251 on: Wed 18 Apr 07:49 2018 »
you left nudgee too early, i had returned to near boat ramp throwing net, and 3 boats there took off outside about 8-30 or so...well, i HAD to follow them, they turned left and we did also....20litres of big prawns by 11-30, out from sandgate jetty past the green zone

Nice work! I would have stayed until the sun went down, but I had to go to work unfortunately. Maybe next time haha.

Offline bondy99

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4916
  • -Receive: 1933
« Reply #252 on: Thu 19 Apr 23:01 2018 »
Seemed to be an okay day to be out on the Logan River to see if prawns are about. A0bout 11.30am the tide was coming in (a bit fast). wind seemed to be ok considering the odd gust. Did not notice any prawns skipping near the mangrove lined shore but occasional showering in the middle but not in the hole, it was hard going considering I've had left ulna nerve retranspositioned and carpel tunnel release, about a month after surgery and left leg droop due to sciatica nerve trapped between L4/L5 and S1.

Spinal surgery towards end of May.

Noticed only one other boat with 3 POB, two castnetting whilst the other had fishing rod in hand, they had 26 prawns between the three of them

Managed to get just under 6 litres , mostly small to mediums, mixture of bananas and greasies.

See pic 
  • My Awards Dolphinfish Over 120cm Whiting Over 40cm Sand crab over 16cm
  • The following members said thank you for your post

Offline Freeeedom

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 883
    • -Receive: 1855
    « Reply #253 on: Fri 20 Apr 11:44 2018 »
    Had a look at Nudgee this morning - couldn't find a prawn. After nearly an hour looking I headed for the Pine and checked out my usual spots. Was starting to get desperate but finally found a show and worked them for about two hours. Got nearly a bucket full of mostly small to medium prawns before my arms gave out. Better than nothing! Quit about 9.00. Did not fish since I'm off to watch the Broncos beat the Storm tonight (in my dreams anyway) and I don't want to doze off during the game and miss it.
    Cheers Freeeedom

Offline mighty quinn

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 720
    • -Receive: 1390
    « Reply #254 on: Fri 20 Apr 13:27 2018 »
    I did exactly the same,nothing at Nudgee this morning went over to the Pine for a bucket of small /mediums,only found them in the one spot.

• My Awards Sand crab over 16cm
  • The following members said thank you for your post

anything