Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: White Spot Update  (Read 399 times)

Offline Nugget

• G'day G'day
  • Administrator
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5129
    • Nugget Outdoors
White Spot Update
« on: Tue 19 Dec 16:48 2017 »
19 December 2017

White spot disease movement restrictions

Biosecurity Queensland would like to remind all fishers and seafood businesses that it is illegal to move raw prawns, yabbies or marine worms out of the white spot disease movement restriction area. Movement restrictions are in place to prevent the spread of the disease to other areas, as further contamination could have a devastating effect on our seafood industry and natural environment. Heavy penalties are in place for anyone caught doing so.

One infected prawn thrown into a waterway could potentially start another white spot disease outbreak so with this in mind make sure you put unwanted seafood scraps in the bin and not our waterways.

Inspector-General of Biosecurity white spot disease report
On 12 December 2017 the Australian Government’s Inspector-General of Biosecurity released a report into the circumstances leading to the 2017 suspension of uncooked prawn imports into Australia and the biosecurity considerations relevant to future trade in uncooked prawns.

The report makes 22 recommendations for the future trade in uncooked prawns and provides insight into the detection of infected prawns imported into Australia since the Generic Import Risk Analysis Report for Prawns and Prawn Products – October 2009.

Biosecurity Queensland will work with the Australian Government and industry to implement the recommendations relevant to Queensland. Many of these recommendations are already in progress.

New South Wales lift restrictions on yabbies and worms
The New South Wales Department of Primary Industries have amended their biosecurity control order to allow cooked polychaete worms and yabbies, originating from the white spot disease movement restriction area, to be moved into New South Wales

Anyone wanting to send crustaceans or polychaete worms interstate must ensure they do not breach the conditions of the white spot disease movement restrictions currently in place in South East Queensland and check the import conditions of the destination state before sending their products.

Commercial fishing industry round table
An Industry-Government round table was held on 29 November 2017 to discuss options for reducing impacts to commercial fishing operators and fish processors as a result of the white spot disease movement restrictions.

The round table was attended by representatives from Queensland Seafood Industry Association, Moreton Bay Seafood Industry Association, Queensland Seafood Marketers Association, Fisheries Research and Development Corporation, Biosecurity Queensland, Fisheries Queensland and a number of commercial fishers, bait suppliers and seafood wholesalers.

A range of options were put forward to support commercial operators while the movement restrictions are in place. Options discussed included treatment of products to enable movement out of the restricted area, promotional campaigns to build demand for local seafood and bait products and enhanced communication around movement restrictions for local businesses.

The round table attendees will meet again in the New Year to continue these discussions.

If you live in SEQ, you can do your part to support local commercial fishers and fish processing businesses impacted by the movement restrictions by continuing to buy locally caught seafood and bait products.

QSIA biosecurity resources
The Queensland Seafood Industry Association, Dr Ben Diggles and commercial fishers have produced a series of biosecurity factsheets providing detailed information on white spot disease, procedures for decontaminating equipment and biosecurity principles. QSIA developed the resources with funding from the Australian Government.

Rod Repairs and custom rods built - Message me for a free quote

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline mighty quinn

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 539
  • -Receive: 1051
Re: White Spot Update
« Reply #1 on: Tue 19 Dec 17:31 2017 »
"New South Wales lift restrictions on yabbies and worms
The New South Wales Department of Primary Industries have amended their biosecurity control order to allow cooked polychaete worms and yabbies, originating from the white spot disease movement restriction area, to be moved into New South Wales"

I don't get this bit.So are Metho worms cooked worms and how do you cook yabbies?

• My Awards Sand crab over 16cm

• Offline JackDawg

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 85
    • -Receive: 352
    « Reply #2 on: Wed 20 Dec 20:42 2017 »
    Just annoys me because when I fish Somerset I cant bring any shrimp home to keep alive for the next trip (as I will taking them out of the restiction zone if I take them back to the same dam they came out of.....).
  • My Awards Yellowbelly Over 50cm

• Offline Fisharwashe

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 147
    • -Receive: 211
    « Reply #3 on: Fri 22 Dec 07:42 2017 »
    JD, mate I thought the ban re WSD related to salt water denizens only, when was it  expanded to include freshwater?  Besides, Somerset dam is not within the map zone.  here's the map zone link  https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/animal-industries/animal-health-and-diseases/a-z-list/white-spot-disease

Offline FordGT

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 74
    • -Receive: 27
    « Reply #4 on: Fri 22 Dec 16:05 2017 »
    promotional campaigns to build demand for local seafood and bait products

Banning imported prawns might help this as well.