Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: HELP  (Read 715 times)

Offline Fishy mick

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 72
  • -Receive: 121
HELP
« on: Mon 4 Dec 13:17 2017 »
Heading up to Rainbow Beach this week end. Havent caught a decent fish there in a long time. Are  fish still there ?
Where do they hide? Usually use worms and flesh baits.Looking for whiting,bream and dart along the beach.I need HELP ;D
Mick
Not all tools are usefull

Offline beach bum

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 929
  • -Receive: 590
  • fishing use a lure. Catching take live bait
Re: HELP
« Reply #1 on: Mon 4 Dec 18:43 2017 »
I came across this on the net awhile ago. I think it's a pretty good indicator of the areas to target. Different rigs n baits will be better at different times of the day n night n tide cycle. But targeting smaller stuff like whiting n dart when the suns up n bigger stuff at night is how I normaly try to do it.
Looking forward to the next trip

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline geoff44

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #2 on: Mon 4 Dec 20:48 2017 »
Just remember you cant take worms up there because of the white spot. We found it hard to get any live beach worms, unless you can pull them yourself, and the preserved ones weren't cheap if you need a few.

Offline Fishy mick

• Registered
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: Tue 5 Dec 08:48 2017 »
Thanks BB. I have been fishing in those spots for whiting as I always did,but for some reason I can no longer get fish there. I use a small sinker.18"approx trace (vary the length occasionally) size 6 whiting hook. Cast to the back of the gutter and let it roll into the hot spot or stay back from the gutter and cast virtually at my feet where the wave action is. This is where I used to catch whiting. But now they just arent there. I have been using Pippies and preserved worms also live worms when available. I figure that night and early morning will produce the best quality fish but I am finding it hard to get out of a cosy bed to go chase fish. Previously I could catch them during the day,maybe not as many but I would get a feed. But not anymore.
Thanks for the reminder Geoff. I dont mind spending money on worms,as long as I can turn them into fish.I dont want cricket scores of fish but its not too much to expect a feed.
Does anyone out there in Nugget Land fish this area and actually catch fish?
Mick

Offline beach bum

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: Tue 5 Dec 19:56 2017 »
I've never really done any good on the rainbow side of DI. A few years ago I was going across the track from the surf to calm side the pros were comming back the other way so I didn't bother trying for whiting. I was just getting out of the wind for a bit during the day as it had picked up on the surf beach. I think your best bet would be the surf beach if your happy to gudge the tide right to get around past the trees n rocks or near where the Fraser barge comes in assuming your staying at the rainbow end of the beach around inskip point.

Offline Fishy mick

• Registered
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: Wed 6 Dec 08:14 2017 »
Yeah BB staying in Rainbow Beach (not camping). Have tried all along the beach from Middle Rock to around where the barges leave from Inskip Pt. I just cant cant fish there anymore. Using the same rigs and 6lb line,same Alvey  and Caruso Island 10ft 6" rods. I havent even seen anyone catching fish in the area. Does anyone know if they are still there? Looking for someone who fishes the area to see if they are having more luck than me.
Mick

Offline beach bum

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: Wed 6 Dec 17:37 2017 »
I don't usualy get around as far as the rainbow end when I'm up there so I can't really help with info for inskip end of the beach. Hopefully some one going back n forth to frazer may have seen or heard something.

Offline Fishy mick

• Registered
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: Thu 7 Dec 08:42 2017 »
Thanks BB. Doesnt sound like too many people fish this area at all. I dont think I have ever caught more than a hand full of  fish between the swimming area at Rainbow and Inskip. Gutters look good but as far as I am concerned they are empty. Its a Fish Desert. Other side of Swimming area through to Middle Rock used to produce fish but very rare now.
 I give up. Does anyone want to buy any hardly used fishing gear?
Mick

Offline cus

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 60
  • -Receive: 59
« Reply #8 on: Thu 7 Dec 12:26 2017 »
Keep the chin up Mick!
Just some time relaxing up on the beach is good for the soul mate, fish are a bonus.
I like to fish nights during the summer months because you don't get 3rd degree burns and the fish around the tweed area seem to bite better at night.
Hopefully they are the same up at Rainbow.

The preserved worms are a pretty good bait but I like pippies if you can get them.

• My Awards Tailor Over 70cm
  • The following members said thank you for your post

Online TheGurn

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Receive: 1
    « Reply #9 on: Fri 8 Dec 21:21 2017 »
    Many many years ago I was fishing in a gutter between rainbow and inskip. I'd found a good school of tailor and had landed a few. The netters arrived and ran their net around the school. I ended up fishing inside their damn net!
    I really wish I had a couple of my mates with me that day instead of being solo. Things might have got interesting and I might have happier memories about that day.
    I've never been back since and I never will. Better fishing and less crowds elsewhere unfortunately.

Offline robc

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 6
    • -Receive: 4
    « Reply #10 on: Fri 8 Dec 22:05 2017 »
    Hi Mick
    Try the gutter at the oaks at high tide right at your feet for whiting.  Also up the end of inskip on the calm side with yabbies incoming tide for whiting and flathead or outgoing tide with sp . If you get a high tide at night the calm side 3/4 way up to the point gets some monster whiting
    Cheers rob

Offline Fishy mick

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #11 on: Mon 11 Dec 10:13 2017 »
    Thanks Gurn for your reply. I have had the experience of seeing netters along this stretch of beach and in the area. I think it cops quite a flogging. Especially around the full moon when the whiting move off the banks where netters cant get to and a few ton go missing.I think I am wasting my time and money going to this area just to drown a bit of bait. Believe me when I say I am no expert fisherman. But I do enjoy it. A small feed isnt too much to expect. I know the old argument about netters and people who cant catch fish needing to buy a feed of fresh fish. It just gets to the stage where,if I cant get a feed then I will try elsewhere and spend my money elsewhere instead of Rainbow Beach. Its a great area and I always support the local businesses but if I am wasting my time then its time to take my $$$s elsewhere. I think the area needs some protection as a valuable tourist destination where people come to fish. Thats the main reason to go there.
    Thanks for your input Rob. I am not familiar with the area you call "the oaks" I will have to take someone with me to pump yabbies. My back cant take much more than a couple of pumps and Ive never seen them for sale in Rainbow bait shops. I must also admit I have never seriously tried soft plastics. I have chucked a few out and dragged them back in for no result. It also looks like hard work.Because of my back problems I tend to find a nice gutter and set a rod or two into holders and sit there and watch for a bite. Its hard work walking up and down gutters in the soft sand casting into water. I can do it, but not for long.
     I really liked the old Bullock Point Jetty.It was a great place to while away some hours. Unfortunately when some idiots decided to burn the end off it the local government decided to pull it down. Its easier to pull things down than to fix them up. They are talking about fixing the boat ramp there but I doubt if we will ever see another jetty.
    Oh well, my whinge is over. I will look into the oaks if you can point me in the general direction and will give it a go next time I am up there. I havent given up completely yet but it will get to that stage.
    Thanks for the help Rob,greatly appreciated.
    Mick

Online TheGurn

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #12 on: Mon 11 Dec 21:18 2017 »
    Hi Mick. You were born too late mate.
    I practically lived there every weekend for years. We used to set up camp around midnight every friday after work. Way back around the time when the recovery efforts of the Cherry Venture were going on it was a great place to fish and camp. We seldom missed out on an easy feed of tailor whiting bream and flathead. Sadly, as far as fishing goes I've heard nothing good about the whole double island area for a very long time.

I'm also told the place gets extremely busy these days ( I can't see the attraction without the fish) to the point of being dangerous for kids on the beach.
    That's another reason I've not been back. I avoid crowds when I'm trying to relax.
    It seems the tourism dollars are flowing even without the fish. Any change from on high is unlikely if this is true. I hope I'm wrong.
    Good luck
    Gurn

Offline Fishy mick

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #13 on: Tue 12 Dec 13:06 2017 »
    Thanks Gurn. Im glad I wasnt born any earlier, because then I would be closer to my Use By Date.
    Rainbow to Inskip is good for kids now. Hardly anyone there. You cant drive from the barge to Rainbow swimming area anymore due to the beach being closed at the latest sink hole. From there on is a really quiet area for kids. You still have to keep a close eye on them but so you should when they are playing on a gazetted highway. There is a place at the last exit where every vehicle must exit the beach. Past that point there is no vehicles allowed so thats a great place to park and let the kids  play in the sand. There is a Lifesaver patrolled designated swimming area.I dont see much need for kids to play on the road/beach,but there isnt much traffic there any more. I would hardly call that end of the beach crowded.
    I will keep looking for the fish for a while longer but I reckon it wont be too long before I give up on the place. 
    Mick

Online TheGurn

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #14 on: Tue 12 Dec 16:33 2017 »
    "Use by date"?? Maybe the "Best before" date has come and gone but I've decided to live forever. Pointless keeping count now. Lol. Cheers
    Gurn

anything