Club Trip
This Weekend - Everyone Welcome

http://nuggetoutdoors.com.au/event/october-club-weigh-in

Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Uh Oh  (Read 541 times)

Offline Blaster_Bretty

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1881
  • -Receive: 1814
Uh Oh
« on: Mon 18 Sep 08:08 2017 »
poor boat had been sittin idle for a month or 2!  pulled her out and fired her into life, everything went great, started first turn of the key, gears selected good and water pumpin where it should be!
next thing the neigjhbor comes over and I shut the thing down ready for her next hibernation!
A few beers followed and some inventive story telling too, an hour later we come outside to where the boats parked and I notice this milky brown sludge draining out of a water overflow hole on the bottom half of the gearbox!
Looks like the boats given up doing anything over the holidays and needs the doc to re-do the seals on the lower box!
Any thoughts on this!  looks to me like water has mixed with the gear oil and has been doin so for some time, at no point did the gear box fail of even make the slightest noise or vibration! the sludge definately smells like gear lube so im convinced it is!
The motor is 2006 e-tec with about 310 hrs  still very young and fresh!  but after 11yrs of light use maybe she needs some surgery!

Offline crabby1

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 63
  • -Receive: 367
Re: Uh Oh
« Reply #1 on: Mon 18 Sep 13:59 2017 »
Drop gearbox sump plug and turn prop.
See if milky stuff comes out.

Go from there.
Remove prop and fishing  line check but reckon  top seal leak.

Check can source seals before remove too much

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline Taylyn it

• Global Moderator
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2801
  • -Receive: 1899
  • The rich have therapy for the rest there's fishing
  • Club Awards:
    2016 Freshwater Champion
« Reply #2 on: Mon 18 Sep 20:51 2017 »
That's a bit of a bummer mate, sounds like it will need a little work
Bretty.

Cheers Jason
  • My Awards Mac Tuna Over 80cm Freshwater Cod Over 60cm Yellowbelly Over 50cm Whiting Over 40cm Cobia Over 100cm Spotty Mackerel Over 80cm Redclaw over 35cm Grass Emperor Over 45cm
  • Fishing is meant to be enjoyable, let's keep it that way.
    Jason

Offline Spaniard_King

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 23
    • -Receive: 42
      • Silver Service Marine
    « Reply #3 on: Tue 19 Sep 18:08 2017 »
    BB, I am interested to know how many times your gearbox has been removed for servicing in the time you owned it and how long since it was last done, Just currious with the etec  service interval and all
    Save $$$ on a new Honda 4 stroke outboard, call me 0400008507

Offline Blaster_Bretty

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1881
    • -Receive: 1814
    « Reply #4 on: Fri 22 Sep 15:13 2017 »
    BB, I am interested to know how many times your gearbox has been removed for servicing in the time you owned it and how long since it was last done, Just currious with the etec  service interval and all
    my impellor was replaced about 2 yrs ago with its first service! I am the 3rd owner of this motor!  the ECU tells us that the injectors were replaced just shy of 200 hrs, it was then sold to the bloke I bought it off who said his boat was a tad small for a 60...... ?? so it came to me... I suspect that there may have been some gremlin in the motor which may have...may have contributed to him selling it to me coz those problems arose not long after I took hold of the motor, it still went great and it was used for a good 2 yrs before it played up, turned out the oil pump inside the oil resivoir was faulty and a new (2nd hand) oil tank ,which house's the pump and all sensors, went onto the motor and she hasnt missed a beat since then!!.... until now ha ha !!  but at the end of it all if I had some help  could save a few hundred by doing it myself but I would rather pay someone to do it properly and not have it cark out while on the water with mrs and kids!  just me thats all!

Offline crabby1

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 63
    • -Receive: 367
    « Reply #5 on: Fri 22 Sep 15:26 2017 »
    It worth checking the bearings while at it.
    Would just fit new ones anyway as cheap enough unless a special bearing.