Club Trip
This Weekend - Everyone Welcome

http://nuggetoutdoors.com.au/event/october-club-weigh-in

Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: 1st with Bow  (Read 408 times)

Offline crabby1

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 63
  • -Receive: 367
1st with Bow
« on: Wed 6 Sep 09:42 2017 »
Bought a bow via Deermaster when got the idea would hunt the 2018 roar with a bow
The bow was setup and bit of practice had me hitting with in a small area at 20m and out at 30 well enough that was confident of solid hit.

Checked out work forecast for work and saw Monday no work and Tuesday was change over in roster so couldn't be allocated, go hunting
2km short coming home from work on Sunday steering in car was real heavy. Got out and no flat tyres but fluid on drives guard
Being Fathers day did not look at it except to fill the level up. Plan was drop off kids to school and then push of for midday arrival at hut and check 22lr zero and mount torch. Then bag a hind.
Drop of kids and 1km down road steering is heavy and knew going have to leave bit later as tracked down what's wrong. Butt fell in when quote $650 exchange for new pump for steering. Degreased and topped it up and let dry. Hour later checked for leaks and see nothing. Start engine and watch pump still no leaks to be seen and then fluid off the fan. Rubber hose on bend to cooling pipe in front of radiators had pin hole.
No places stocked the hose so saw hose repair joint and they want $170 and me to remove the unit so they could copy. Genuine was $150 but not here until Thursday next week. Was after 3pm by time in ute fuelled and thought early start next morning be the go now.

Got up yesterday about 3am for 2.5hr trip up after couple red hinds to help fill the freezer. Been hunting this place for about 9years so have a good idea of where and when the deer move about.
Has creek system that has good thick gullies running off it and dam where it branches has held water even during the big dry before the 2010 floods. Being meat trip the 300wm was on the shoulder and back pack loaded with water and meat bags, no need for much food as usually down low at first light feeding on the short green grass of the creek that there where the frost does not kill it like the rest of the paddocks. Importantly now having 4wd now easy meat retrieval

Lack of grass meant pants was staying dry on the walk in. Have not hunted this side of the place much this year and lack of grass, no bird noise and general lack of sign was concerning. Even lack of black wallabies that nearly stand on didn't seem to want to scare the crap out of me.

Got into position and waited in proven spot in the past and waited.........and waited........... and waited
Place was lacking life was 9am by now and in past the deer will have started to moving around for first time after coming out of the creek area. Idea was to get up near the tops of the ridges and check each gully slowly and work way back to ute.

Heat of the day was starting to be felt and couple of snack bars that had did not cut it as no real breakfast for the morning. Nothing, not even recent deer crap in thick lantana that push through, did not even smell of deer. Spots of grass did not have the sign of deer walking through. No cattle about as destocking to save country in short term, the 2 retired horses I did not see.

That sound of water bladder being low was last thing wanted now
Sat down and had a rest as had sms come through on phone so did forums and emails while cooled down and eat last of food for final down hill to ute.

Was getting onto 3pm when arrived at hut and had heaps to drink and eat and checked 22lr for zero but realized no mount on the scope for torch
Plan was go for another hunt before dark and then walk for rabbit or hare with the pea rifle.

Went through the morning hunt in mind and came up with new game plan.
Being a hot day for this time of year and full moon basically the night before the deer I came up with come and drink about dark and then off up into cover before sun up. Knew of another permanent waterhole in other creek and heavy with lantana. Gully runs different direction to the morning so hoped would have something moving about.

Went to ute to drive off but thought change of plans. Grabbed the bow out instead, knife in pocket and phone on the charger. Would walk there to keep noise down as only 45minute walk roughly. Wont even need back pack, binos or GPS as close enough and moon was rising before sunset.
Put on fully clown suit and head gear and watch into pocket plus undid boot laces as have seen most Ozzie bowhunting videos they are barefoot.
Plan was to be a real sneaky *bad word*. First honest hunt with bow as usually only practice at set targets so far

First 500m was likely I covered to quick but them slowed right down. Birds sounding, super fresh deer crap, f*cken wallaby scared crap out of me gentle breeze into face. Things looking up compared to rest of the day. Super slow around each lantana bush and the watching the river rocks under foot. Even under the short grass and sand could hear them moving with my weight. My breathing could hear and sound of the 3d camo pants was like hail on a tin roof it seemed. Was getting very close to the waterhole and heat of day was backing off as the sun was down behind the hills.

How the hell was meant to see a deer in this spot let alone try and stick any arrow into was racing through my mind. 6'1" and well over 100kg is alot to hide in the bush was other thought.
A couple of rocks sounded in front of me. I froze. Waiting for the sound of cattle walking. Then small stick breaks after awhile. Cant see anything past 20yards but bush
Slowly I lower myself down to ground to look under the bushes. Laying down now, can see some skinny deer legs right up along the creek. Then a head as she gets some grass.
There is fair bit of light left and no watch to be so doesn't matter but there direct sunlight to seen anywhere now. Must have looked like and upside down turtle  as crawled along towards the deer very slowly. She was feeding in the same spot and slowly heading towards me as I crawled towards her. I heard every breathe I made and felt each pulse as inside my head. I slipped off my boots some how as trying to be a sneaky *bad word*. Meat ant crawled up pants and bite me, spider webs crawled through and all other small things happened on the stalk in. I have no idea how long it took.
She seemed to be alone which is unusual for a hind at this time of year, wondering if there is another on sentry duty and scanning for them as well. Finally came to edge of lantana and about 15m to the red hind feeding.

If had rifle it would be all over in 2 seconds as shoot from laying on my fat guts.
At this stage I realize I have no idea if I can kneel and bow arm not hit the ground as never practiced apart from standing in set position. F#ck it. Hell its getting real dark, elbow got something sticking in it and bleeding. Starting to loose focus real fast at important stage of the hunt. Closed my eyes and HTFU.

The hind slowly started to turn her head and body position facing away as feeding on the short grass. Like a crab with fat guts I moved sideways from under the lantana. Leaves noisy as a gunshot each one of them. Slowly made my way onto knees and finally standing. By now I am looking directly at her tail

Now if had my 300Wm, 358ME, 375R or 416R would had drilled her south bound or waited for head shot as about 20m away but was bowhunting
Slowly get the arrow from the holder and clip it onto the bow string and rest onto the holder.
I waited while she stood there, wind gently into my face, was getting dark fast. The pins on my sight had a certain glow had not noticed until now. There was plenty of light to see them. Eventually I clipped the trigger release onto its loop and then pulled back to full draw and settled the pin in lower half of her body and lined up the peep. I made soft sound as hear when group of hinds are feeding.

She lifted head and turned slightly left exposing the back of rib cage and don't remember fingering the release but do remember the sound as the arrow connected. She bolted into closest lantana and gone. Last thing can remember is the orange flights sticking out just behind the last rib. Got arrow out of quiver and layed on ground pointing in directing took the shot. Did not hear her run off through country, confident that either hit liver or lungs been hit and best not to push her went looking for my boots. Could not find them.
Very last of the sunlight I used to look for my hind, she had only made 20m from edge to final position. I moved her out to the cleared area then started the barefoot walk back to get ute as darkness started. I did Hansel and Gretal marking the path to track using my arrows standing up.

Got to ute and drove down close as could and time for quick photo before taking all the meat I could. Was close to 9pm be time had everything bagged and in fridge. The arrow flights show up well in in light of headlamp as well

Time to get 22LR out and torch and try for rabbit or hare as drove up high to get Wednesday work order on phone as did not have them yet.
Couple of rabbits showed them selves but was to unco ordinated to hold torch and get shot off. Must fit torch mount to 22lr and leave it there.
Eventually sms came through and 1400 start Wednesday so would have to leave before 11am to make it to work. With the full moon powering on strong and being able to see for ages the deer would be out feeding in the cool for sure as I had though a few hours ago after the fruitless hunt of the morning.

Spotlighted my way out to the road for no rabbits shot
The excitement of arrowing my first anything was enough to get me home about 1am or 22hrs after leaving home.

Fridge has the bagged out meat ageing ATM
I am still excited at my own achievement
Not a 6x6 red stag or might 30"+ sambar but my first with a bow

I am sure going to use a bow again 

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline crabby1

• Registered
  • Thank You
Re: 1st with Bow
« Reply #1 on: Sun 10 Sep 11:42 2017 »
One of the main reasons for hunting deer is keep the freezer topped with some meat at time
Be 25meals for 5people. $100 for petrol so $4 /meal 
But some it will turn into jerky a 4yr old girl is telling me today

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline Fisharwashe

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 120
  • -Receive: 187
« Reply #2 on: Sat 30 Sep 10:32 2017 »
Awesome report crabby1, great reading

Offline crabby1

• Registered
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: Sat 30 Sep 14:33 2017 »
Thanks.

Using a bow is harder than thunder stick as need to get very close and then even closer.
Have to be real sneaky and aware of all times around yourself.
After the hopfully coming rain be good time try again as the leaves be quieter under foot

Offline Fisharwashe

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 120
  • -Receive: 187
« Reply #4 on: Mon 16 Oct 15:51 2017 »
In the states we'd have hides, some in trees, some at base, I had a fav in the hollow of a down big oak that toppled and root mass came out leaving a great natural hide, its was great until sliding in one arvo I got hit on the boot by snake!!  Luckily I always went in feet 1st.  Never shot a compound tho' in a hunt, my gear was a crossbow.  Could be a mongrel to load but easier to shoot and packed a real punch and bolt heads were critical.  Most I reckon would probably be illegal here, I know I couldn't bring my CB back.

BTW, we would use loose folded gilly suit offcuts on our boots soles at times, great at dampening your weight  ;) also kills any trail  ;) ;)