Club Trip
This Weekend - Everyone Welcome

http://nuggetoutdoors.com.au/event/october-club-weigh-in

Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Cast Net Questions  (Read 422 times)

Offline MSB

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 6
Cast Net Questions
« on: Mon 28 Aug 13:59 2017 »
Hi Everyone

I am cast net illiterate and have been searching threads and sites for information on types and using cast nets, and now I am more confused then when I started searching, could I have clarification on a couple of things please.

Does an 8 foot cast net refer to the radius of the net, i.e at maximum spread diameter is equal to 16 foot?

Is the drop refer to the radius of the net, i.e 8 foot cast net equal 8 foot drop?

There is a lot of differing opinions on whether pocket nets or draw string nets are the way to go, I will be chasing small live herring and mullet, prawns will be a bonus if i caught any.

When answering my questions please consider the following, I am an old decrepit *bad word* fishing on my own out of a 14ft tinny in creeks that run into the pumicestone passage, so generally not a lot of depth in the water .

Appreciate any responses.

Thank you all

MSB

Offline beach bum

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 852
  • -Receive: 545
  • fishing use a lure. Catching take live bait
Re: Cast Net Questions
« Reply #1 on: Mon 28 Aug 18:11 2017 »
I believe that the radius is the measure of a net ie 7 foot ect. If you want just a bait net then a basic bottom pocket mono net is probably what your after if your throwing over mud or sand bottom. If you thow over rocky ground a draw string may be better as it can be pulled closed at your desired depth before fowling on the rocks. If you want a Prawning net then a top pocket is the go for ease of sorting. I have a drawstring n a bottom pocket the bottom pocket is the easier of the two to use for bait fish and would be what I think your after in probably a 6-7 foot size for up in the tight creeks.
Looking forward to the next trip

Offline MSB

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 6
Re: Cast Net Questions
« Reply #2 on: Tue 29 Aug 06:52 2017 »
Thank you for your response Beach Bum much appreciated
MSB

The following members said thank you for your post