Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Fraser Isl  (Read 1865 times)

Offline Nugget

• G'day G'day
  • Administrator
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5053
    • Nugget Outdoors
Fraser Isl
« on: Tue 8 Aug 15:25 2017 »
Just back from two days on Fraser with Wazza, fishing was a little tough.
The pressure was on as we had Wild Films, a Nat Geographic film crew doing a story on Fraser that will be screened world wide.
In the end we found fish 5klm south of the Maheno and they got all they needed for the doco in one afternoon and evening - dart, tailor, whales, dingos, stingrays and a cooking segment on the back of Wazza's truck.
I managed to land the best fish late in the arvo - 2.5kg.
Rod Repairs and custom rods built - Message me for a free quote

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline Big Steve

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 18
Re: Fraser Isl
« Reply #1 on: Tue 8 Aug 15:40 2017 »
Thanks for the report.
I am going with a few of my mates and we leave on Sat, so nice to see what we are up against.

Sounds like we are going to have to do some hunting, but still 5 days on Fraser is still better than nothing.

Offline Nugget

• G'day G'day
  • Administrator
  • Registered
  • Thank You
    • Nugget Outdoors
« Reply #2 on: Tue 8 Aug 16:07 2017 »
Dingos were bad Steve, they were skirting our truck all night, one got in bed with Wazza at 2am. Keep everything locked up.
There were a few choppers at dusk and in the morning, plenty of dart if you fished for them.
No good water till after Eurong, plenty of options north of there.
There was weed in some of the deeper holes, we just moved 50 metres to the edge of the hole and it was gone.

Offline Big Steve

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #3 on: Tue 8 Aug 16:18 2017 »
So good to know Nugget,

We are camping up at Waddy point so a fair bit north, but planning on doing a few dawn and dusk sessions.

Told to cook to only cater for 3 nights so the pressure is on to put something on the table :)
Been there a few times so aware of the dingos, but have never been bad enough to mention.

Thanks Again

Offline beach bum

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 928
  • -Receive: 590
  • fishing use a lure. Catching take live bait
« Reply #4 on: Tue 8 Aug 16:49 2017 »
Great to see Wazza n yourself back on the beach together and some nice fish too. Probably not the first dog Maggo has woken up next to😀.Hey Dave what is the best way to treat a tailor for the table? Currently I've been cutting the throat while walking back to the car waiting for the blood to stop spurting n then straight into an esky with salt water and ice frozen in 2L bottles. But I've heard a few different theory's like letting them bleed out on the sand for a while till the flesh sets then wash the sand off n ice down, n one guy even said to dig a small hole n bleed the tailor head first down the hole before putting on ice.
Looking forward to the next trip

Offline mighty quinn

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 517
  • -Receive: 1016
« Reply #5 on: Tue 8 Aug 17:34 2017 »
Thanks for the report Nugget I'm also heading up there Saturday morning,we are staying around Wahba Mahino area for 3 days,I don't mind a feed of Dart either,plenty of eugarie on the beach?
Cheers
MQ.
  • My Awards Sand crab over 16cm

• Offline Nugget

• G'day G'day
    • Administrator
    • Registered
    • Thank You
      • Nugget Outdoors
    « Reply #6 on: Tue 8 Aug 17:56 2017 »
    Thanks for the report Nugget I'm also heading up there Saturday morning,we are staying around Wahba Mahino area for 3 days,I don't mind a feed of Dart either,plenty of eugarie on the beach?
    Cheers
    MQ.

Yes, plenty of pipis in patches, just keep an eye out on the drive up - very few once you hit the rocky areas around Yiddney / Happy Valley etc

Offline Nugget

• G'day G'day
    • Administrator
    • Registered
    • Thank You
      • Nugget Outdoors
    « Reply #7 on: Tue 8 Aug 18:01 2017 »
    Great to see Wazza n yourself back on the beach together and some nice fish too. Probably not the first dog Maggo has woken up next to😀.Hey Dave what is the best way to treat a tailor for the table? Currently I've been cutting the throat while walking back to the car waiting for the blood to stop spurting n then straight into an esky with salt water and ice frozen in 2L bottles. But I've heard a few different theory's like letting them bleed out on the sand for a while till the flesh sets then wash the sand off n ice down, n one guy even said to dig a small hole n bleed the tailor head first down the hole before putting on ice.

I prefer to bleed them before putting them on ice. This might be a bit gory for some but once you start to chill the flesh the blood coagulates - I think it's better the bleed them thoroughly first - I slit the throat and drop them in the sand - after 30 min I put them on ice.

Offline magic

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 8
    • -Receive: 25
    « Reply #8 on: Wed 9 Aug 00:49 2017 »
    I think a screening at the sports club is on order, hey Waz, just before the first at Doomben.

Offline Blaster_Bretty

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1913
    • -Receive: 1826
    « Reply #9 on: Thu 10 Aug 18:48 2017 »
    great fish ol mate!  had a laugh at the cook up on the back of wazza's cruiser, shown over the globe too ha ha ! on ya blokes!

Offline Valeriej

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Receive: 17
    « Reply #10 on: Sun 13 Aug 11:24 2017 »
    Just got back from a week at waddy.
    Got a few tailor and dart 1st couple of days until the pros went through with the nets.....zero fish after that.
    Fished 10k south of Indian head without losing a bait.  Still a good week

Offline mighty quinn

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #11 on: Wed 16 Aug 12:13 2017 »

Also just back from Fraser and completely shagged,will elaborate latter with a few picks when the young bloke sends them through,but best tip, plan your trip to coincide with the high tides on dawn and dusk there were no real good low tide gutters contrary to the last couple of years in August.
    Cheers
    MQ
    Hi all, my oldest son and yours truly fished 3 evening low tide gutter?sessions approximately 4ks north of the once mighty Mahino,Saturday, Sunday and Monday just gone,for a rough total of around 20 Tailor 30 realy good Dart and half a dozen whiting all taken on gangs using Pillies.

The weather conditions were possibility to good with the beach conditions rougher than the water and anything other than low tide a bit of a slog move around,I swear this year there were more people with limited beach driving knowledge than I've encountered anywhere ever,they'd force you into the water before they'd move of their line.

Other than what we caught the only real action we saw was one bloke among a few others chucking a slug in and pulling some fair choppers he was using an 80mm chrome slice with a green decal to match the odd hardy head seen skipping across the surface his two mates never got a hit using plain chrome,

A few pics before my phone battery died,and by the way the best fish we managed and saw was one of only 46cm and as I said earlier if I was heading up anytime soon I'd be looking to take advantage of the high tides in the early mornings and evening.
  • The following members said thank you for your post

Offline Fisharwashe

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 133
    • -Receive: 201
    « Reply #12 on: Wed 16 Aug 17:02 2017 »
    Dingos were bad Steve, they were skirting our truck all night, one got in bed with Wazza at 2am. Keep everything locked up.
    There were a few choppers at dusk and in the morning, plenty of dart if you fished for them.
    No good water till after Eurong, plenty of options north of there.
    There was weed in some of the deeper holes, we just moved 50 metres to the edge of the hole and it was gone.

Geez.... so does that mean we have to watch out for Wazingo's now?   That would make for a weird doco!   :o ;D 

Offline mighty quinn

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #13 on: Wed 16 Aug 17:26 2017 »
    Just got back from a week at waddy.
    Got a few tailor and dart 1st couple of days until the pros went through with the nets.....zero fish after that.
    Fished 10k south of Indian head without losing a bait.  Still a good week
    The netters were heading up north of the Cathedrals again Sunday arvo,perfect conditions for them too.

• Offline beach bum

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 928
    • -Receive: 590
    • fishing use a lure. Catching take live bait
    « Reply #14 on: Wed 16 Aug 17:30 2017 »
    Great report MQ. whiting on the pillie gangs is a welcome surprise to the esky after the issues you've been having on bribie.  Some times I don't know how they get their mouth around the hook. I got some nice dart on Straddie on 6oh long shank n 10 ball the other week in the middle of the night same thing don't know how they fit that hook in their gob but I'm not complaining.
    Looking forward to the next trip