Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Starting to feel obsolete at 32  (Read 1155 times)

Offline beach bum

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 928
  • -Receive: 590
  • fishing use a lure. Catching take live bait
Starting to feel obsolete at 32
« on: Fri 21 Jul 22:45 2017 »
With the two things that take up most of my time outside of work n family life in alvey reels and xxxx both closeing doors or sold off or whatever is happening there I'm questioning if what I've been brought up on is going to be able to be passed on to my kids. Not so much the xxxx just yet as the oldest is 3 1/2 but the early starts on cold mornings yabbie pumping and then fishing them on the same sand bank on the making tide with a 3"or 4" stainless backed Alvey in hand. Rods have come along way from the 4 foot soild glass Jarvis walker I started with but I still have it along with the decades old then alvey that was on it. Am I a modern Sasquatch being phased out and obsolete by soft plastics n spin reels or is there hope for me yet useing fresh live bait back into the same area it was caught. I don't know sad either way.
Looking forward to the next trip

Offline NoobBoatie

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 350
  • -Receive: 66
Re: Starting to feel obsolete at 32
« Reply #1 on: Mon 24 Jul 11:13 2017 »
Time and tide wait for no man...
Stuffs that were passed on to our great grandparents didn't get pass on to us i.e. maybe sword fighting skills or archery to survive in the medieval time...so naturally we won't be able to pass everything to our kids...
Who knows by the time your grandkids are 9 they would think fishing is barbaric and needs to be banned...

With the two things that take up most of my time outside of work n family life in alvey reels and xxxx both closeing doors or sold off or whatever is happening there I'm questioning if what I've been brought up on is going to be able to be passed on to my kids. Not so much the xxxx just yet as the oldest is 3 1/2 but the early starts on cold mornings yabbie pumping and then fishing them on the same sand bank on the making tide with a 3"or 4" stainless backed Alvey in hand. Rods have come along way from the 4 foot soild glass Jarvis walker I started with but I still have it along with the decades old then alvey that was on it. Am I a modern Sasquatch being phased out and obsolete by soft plastics n spin reels or is there hope for me yet useing fresh live bait back into the same area it was caught. I don't know sad either way.

Offline crabby1

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 379
« Reply #2 on: Mon 24 Jul 12:31 2017 »
13yr is amazed at the few payphones at the shops.
Couldn't get it to dial, until showed him you put your finger in the ring and turn it clockwise ::)
He was just pushing the numbers

My last Hilux did not have central locking, anyone under 21 did not seen to know how to lock the doors :-\

Did not answer a SMS once as was sleeping after night shift. 2hrs later 25yr daughter old came around to make sure I was OK :-[
Too use to immediate answer no matter what.
So much for pre mobil phone when you said going fishing for the week and 7 days later came home.
Was no need for call each night, or 10 SMS/day or emails, and all the other stuff.

World changes, just not all ways for the better IMHO

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline Crocb8

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 60
  • -Receive: 180
« Reply #3 on: Mon 24 Jul 12:48 2017 »
I will be passing your curry recipe down to my grand kids

Online Fisharwashe

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 133
  • -Receive: 201
« Reply #4 on: Mon 24 Jul 16:24 2017 »
LOL @ crabby, at almost twice yr age I think yr getting weak at a yound age.  ;D  We started fishing with brickies cord, then bakelite centre pin and solid wood rod with brass runner,still cord line, rod tip was about as thick as yr little finger or about 10mm.  In 80's we were given pagers, brilliant, problem was you never knew who called so you'd find a pay phone to call the office  to get your group's sect'y to ask who called you!  Good waste of 1/2 hr usually.  A/C in cars was called winding down the window, everyone laughed at these selt belt things, already had a belt in our pants!  If you were lucky, the milko would deliver milk in glass bottles with tin foil lids.  Had to be up early to stop the magpies pecking thru to get to the cream on the top or the sun shinning on it for too long and turning it.  You only went to a chemist for pills, the Rawleighs man delivered everything else and for fun at lunchtime at school we'd go hunting snakes n lizards in the cattle paddocks and a six pence (5c) bag of lollies lasted a week!  You'd get 1 present at Christmas, a second hand bike, rest of the year you the best multi function toy they ever made, a really marvelous invention, it was called a stick and you "plugged it in" to yr imagination and it was anything you wanted it to be.  Didn't need 10 different comp/video games or such and if you were inside you were either sick or in deep shyte for doing the wrong thing.

Offline DamoP

• Fishing first.
  • Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 204
« Reply #5 on: Mon 24 Jul 16:44 2017 »
I bet in 60 million years time after the world resets itself again archiologists will be digging up alveys in mint condition. Sorta like cavman tools of today but they will be still usable because theyre built that good. 

Its a shame. I dont have one as such but my father inlaw is stocked up to the eyeballs with them.
Just one more cast

Offline crabby1

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 379
« Reply #6 on: Mon 24 Jul 19:38 2017 »
Still fish cane rod that was my grandfather.
Cord down to float that use to a heel on high heel shoes. Bit of lead to get it sink correctly.
Relaxing in old school way

Offline beach bum

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 928
  • -Receive: 590
  • fishing use a lure. Catching take live bait
« Reply #7 on: Mon 24 Jul 19:45 2017 »
I am one of five kids with only dad working back then. Had plenty of 2nd hand things shoes clothes n bikes even remember helping dad paint one pink n white he got out of the trading post for my little sisters birthday.  I bought my own first new from the shop bike at about 14 after I saved up for it on my paper round that I did on a bike with a side car to hold the papers I made it with the old mans help. My own first car in year 12 a crapy old Gemini I also saved up n paid for it in full it was off one of my brothers n wasn't running but put a new set of points n rotor in it n drove it home. I was on apprentice wages starting off at $6 an hour n slowly going up each year I was able to save up a $40,000 deposit towards our first house at 23 then got married a year or so later. Have since moved n got a bigger place for the family with two boys of our own now. I think a lot of people don't work towards or save up for things now they just put it on credit. I guess I was brought up different in general including fishing getting good live bait be it a worm or yabbie n working your way up the food chain and of course useing alveys.
Looking forward to the next trip

Offline FordGT

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 65
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #8 on: Thu 27 Jul 15:28 2017 »
I'm turning 32 shortly and I have to agree; many things that we grew up with are not going to be around for long; take Falcons and Commodores and V8s in general to name one example.

Online Fisharwashe

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 133
  • -Receive: 201
« Reply #9 on: Fri 11 Aug 18:35 2017 »
ahh beachy u are taking me back with that last post.......  I remember my 1st full time wage was $60 a week and I took home around $50.  My 1st car was a HT, column shift, 167.  Sold it about 8 yrs later for $150 more than I paid for and it had over 180,000 miles on the clock.  Built our 1st house and sold it for $87making $56K after house and land costs and it was a std 1.4 acre block.  We were Kings...lol.  Mind you, a dozen bottles was around $10-12 back then and a slab about the same.  Ahh bring back the fishing from the 60's, 70's and 80's and let these youngin's see REAL fish.

Offline Da-Jew-Man

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 31
  • Historian/Collector of Sidecast Fishing reels
« Reply #10 on: Sat 12 Aug 07:25 2017 »
My memories:
Pot of beer 27 cents
Can of coke 10 cents
The 4wd bus from Dunwich to Point Lookout on a sandy 4wd track. The bus had heaps of dents in it.
Pottsville fishing for tailor with 60-70 anglers and catching heaps
Jew fishing from the Tweed Wall with fish all over 60 lb
What does RBT mean????
Yep the fishing ain't what it used to be.

Dave

Offline bondy99

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4566
  • -Receive: 1762
« Reply #11 on: Sun 8 Oct 22:41 2017 »
My first fishing rod was a broomstick with cage wire staples as guides for my monoline. Had a rough spin reel nailed in to secure it.

I was wrapped when I caught couple of fish, outfished couple of other fishos with their fancy rods.

First crabpot was made from wooden apple box with 1" chook wire, worked ok caught a sandie and one muddie. The box fell apart later. For a 14 yo it was good to get out and about and explore. Lot more healthy activities then. Loaf of Bread was a penny and bottle of milk, yep glass bottles was delivered by the milko at 4.30am.

The good old days.
  • My Awards Dolphinfish Over 120cm Whiting Over 40cm Sand crab over 16cm

•