Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Replacement Disc Hubs - Advice Needed Please.  (Read 403 times)

Offline Archer63

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3392
  • -Receive: 1663
  • Live for today
Replacement Disc Hubs - Advice Needed Please.
« on: Mon 17 Jul 13:19 2017 »
Hi All,

Hoping someone here in the forum can help point me in the right direction with replacing the disc hubs on my 2008 Quintrex/Telewater built trailer running 13in Bathurst globe style wheels ?

Finding help elsewhere has proved to be a hair pulling experience unfortunately for one reason or another. First investigated this issue last year and was given a quote from a place at Tingalpa of well over $1100 which I declined. Went to a boating place at Capalaba, won't go into my impressions of this place here but it has gone from being a positive experience to being a negative experience over the last year or so, but none of them know what the replacement hubs for my trailer were either.

A couple of weeks ago I went into a local Supercheap and noticed the disc replacement hubs in the pics below, but was confused about the specs.

Having taking out and replaced my bearings and caps a few times previously, I know my bearings are Holden: small - LM11949, large - LM67048.
I roughly guesstimated that my disc hubs ( lazy I know but I did not take the hubs off to get the correct diameter ) looked to be slightly larger than the 10in ones in the pic, but I could very well be mistaken.

What confuses me is that the bearings that come with these apparently appear to be the larger ford bearings which through my ignorance makes me think they will not fit on my stub axels ?

I have also leant from experience that not having those wire pad holding springs in can be a pain, but I can't see them in the pad pic ?

I noted that two out of the three packages had been opened and I can't help but wonder if these may have been brought back as a result of a mistake ?

Can anyone tell me which replacement mechanical override disc hubs I need for my trailer ?

I should also state that I do not want to go for the most expensive options as I intend selling the boat soon, but I do want the trailer to be as safe as possible for the new owner and don't want any accidents waiting to happen as you never know how far away any prospective buyer is coming from. This is also why I have recently bought new tyres to replace the originals.

Cheers
Rob

Cheers
Rob
  • My Awards Whiting Over 40cm
  • Draggin The Line

Offline Crocb8

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 51
    • -Receive: 138
    Re: Replacement Disc Hubs - Advice Needed Please.
    « Reply #1 on: Mon 17 Jul 13:48 2017 »
    I am in logan and happy to help you out. pm me your ph no and i will give you a call

cheers  Ron

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline Archer63

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • Live for today
    « Reply #2 on: Mon 17 Jul 14:33 2017 »
    Thanks Ron...PM sent
  • Draggin The Line

Offline Archer63

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • Live for today
    « Reply #3 on: Tue 18 Jul 15:15 2017 »
    Job Done !!

Must give a thanks to Ron - Crocb8 for giving me the advice and tips and pointed me in the direction of Active Fabricators at Beenleigh who were great to deal with. Ron said just to say he sent me and they would look after me which they did. Bit of a plug I admit, but it was great to just take down one of the old rusty disc hubs and talk to someone who knew what they were talking about.

Bought two disc hubs complete with marine seals, pads and spare wheel nuts for $180.00 which I thought was a good deal.

Was a bit surprised to see how much more my original disc hubs had deteriorated over the last 12-15 mths, especially since I thoroughly hose down the trailer after each outing. More severe corrosion of the disc hubs and all of the newish pads I had put in last time were either cracked or had chunks out of them.

Change over was fairly straight forward, except when I went to do the right side and was looking for the axel nut washer. Spent half an hour looking for the bloody thing and then had a light bulb moment. Surely I didn't put two on the other side ?
    Yep...there it was.

Must be a run on at the moment of people doing their bearings as the big fishing shop had been going through the tubs of grease. Just got to have a look at the mechanical override break cable adjustment which I hate doing as for some reason as I have so far never been able to get the adjustment quite right.

Been putting this job off for ages but am now glad it's finally done.

Cheers
    Rob
    « Last Edit: Tue 18 Jul 19:31 2017 by Nugget »
  • Draggin The Line

Offline gene

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 62
    • -Receive: 5
    « Reply #4 on: Tue 18 Jul 19:03 2017 »
    trailerworld in underwood are really good as well for anyone interested.

Offline Shane450

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 27
    • -Receive: 51
    « Reply #5 on: Mon 7 Aug 09:36 2017 »
    your spring look like they also need changing .

Offline Archer63

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • Live for today
    « Reply #6 on: Mon 7 Aug 10:06 2017 »
    I'm no expert on springs that's for sure, but they look ok are still working well.
    They look dirty in the pic because I occasionally give them and the rest of the trailer a light spray with Lanolin.
  • Draggin The Line

Offline Shane450

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #7 on: Wed 9 Aug 06:53 2017 »
    Springs are cheap and its very hard to predict a failure point from appearance , yours look well used and based on the condition of your discs they are  :D , and making the assumption they are the same age , I d change them

way easier to do at home rather than on the side of the road

if you dont make sure you take a cordless rattle gun makes the job way easier :)

Offline Shane450

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #8 on: Wed 9 Aug 06:56 2017 »
    I found ratchet straps helped too

Offline Archer63

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • Live for today
    « Reply #9 on: Wed 9 Aug 18:38 2017 »
    Thanks Shane for the tip.
    I have to get a safety certificate for the trailer before I sell, so will see what they have to say as well.
    If the verdict is as you say, then I will of course replace them as I don't want it on my conscience if the buyer of my boat has an accident while towing as a result of stuffed springs.

Cheers
    Rob
  • Draggin The Line

anything