Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Mobile basic live bait bucket  (Read 588 times)

Offline beach bum

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 851
  • -Receive: 545
  • fishing use a lure. Catching take live bait
Mobile basic live bait bucket
« on: Thu 6 Jul 19:24 2017 »
I got sick of loosing good hard earned live baits when I slept on recent trips. Everything was fine when changing water around every half hour but any longer and they would start to go belly up. So I've been trying to come up with a solution that ideally would be mobile so I could use on a boat or in my ute, easy to set up n use and not splash salt water all over the tray of my ute inbetween gutters. Ideally I would have a constant stream of salt water in n out of the tank but as it will mainly be used on the beach not a boat and it would be painful having to run hoses ect every time I pulled up at a new spot instead I settled on a basic large bucket n airator that I found on fleabay that is able to charge off a usb or its own in built solar panel and can also charge phones ect off another usb out put it has as a bonus. Apparently it has a 20 hour run time but time will tell but it was less than $30 so if it lasts a few trips I'll be infront on batteries that a normal one would need. I got the buckets free through work big one is about 40 litres and the smaller ones are about 15 litres. They have screwed lids to try n minimumise the salt water spilling out when traveling. I have a few of the smaller buckets setup for different baits like worms n yabbies then the larger bucket will be for liveies I will still do water changes but should be able to have a kip inbetween with out loosing the lot.
Looking forward to the next trip

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline Taylyn it

• Global Moderator
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2801
  • -Receive: 1899
  • The rich have therapy for the rest there's fishing
  • Club Awards:
    2016 Freshwater Champion
Re: Mobile basic live bait bucket
« Reply #1 on: Thu 6 Jul 19:43 2017 »
Nice one Todd,

Hope it all works as planned.

Cheers Jason
  • My Awards Mac Tuna Over 80cm Freshwater Cod Over 60cm Yellowbelly Over 50cm Whiting Over 40cm Cobia Over 100cm Spotty Mackerel Over 80cm Redclaw over 35cm Grass Emperor Over 45cm
  • Fishing is meant to be enjoyable, let's keep it that way.
    Jason

Offline JackDawg

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 85
    • -Receive: 347
    « Reply #2 on: Fri 7 Jul 06:40 2017 »
    I prefer eskies over buckets as my container. Kmart do a square one that is shorter than it is wide, I've got half a dozen of them I use. Hinges break pretty quick but I replace with a bit of old carpet.
    Put your aerator holes through the centre of your lids will decrease splash.
  • My Awards Yellowbelly Over 50cm
  • The following members said thank you for your post

Offline beach bum

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 851
    • -Receive: 545
    • fishing use a lure. Catching take live bait
    « Reply #3 on: Fri 7 Jul 08:44 2017 »
    I did look at eskys to keep the temp down during the day  n was thinking of a large water cooler style one as I prefer round instead of square so that the livey doesn't get stuck in a corner n can keep swimming around with its mates. I got the big bucket for free so it was an easy choice I may try and insulate the outside somehow to keep the sun off. I put the hole for the air in through the side at high level so the screwed lid doesn't get in the way. Not perfect but better than before with just a bucket n water changes.
    Looking forward to the next trip

Offline Blaster_Bretty

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1881
    • -Receive: 1814
    « Reply #4 on: Sun 9 Jul 11:04 2017 »
    Thats great man!