Last Club Trip for 2017
This Weekend - Everyone Welcome

http://nuggetoutdoors.com.au/event/november-club-weigh-in/

Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: In-Boat Rod Holder  (Read 602 times)

Offline Whirly

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 168
In-Boat Rod Holder
« on: Tue 27 Jun 17:57 2017 »
Hi Guys,
   Ive long been considering various options for storing rods on my boat.
Up till now Ive just laid them on the deck between the centre console and RHS of the boat.
They keep getting runners tangled in the net and are under constant threat of being stepped upon.

I would have installed a rod-holder against the front of the Centre Console but I carry a huge esky, which I had a mate make up a big cushion for, and converted it into a double seat, with the console as a back rest.

I considered rocket launchers but thought I may need an extra support for the bimini (which would then get in the way when casting from the stern).

In the end, I came up with this cheap and simple plan.
It cost $3 for a pool noodle from Kmart I drilled holes in it every 15cm (6inches) and cut vertical slits leading to the middle of each of the holes.
I cut a strip off the back to make a flat surface. I then glued the flat surface to the inner edge of the starboard gunwale with white Sikaflex (held it there with occy-straps though I would insert rags between the straps and noodle if I did it again as they cause indentations which are aesthetically unpleasing but in no way effect performance). 

I tried it out on the weekend had 4 rods in while I towed the boat to the ramp, and also running round the bay. The rods remained fast and didnt move at all though I do live close to the ramp and the water wasnt very rough. The results were very encouraging and the rods are in a position that should rarely interfere with casting.

I reckon anyone with an opposable thumb should be able to have the whole thing in place and drying within an hour. Youd be lucky to finish three beers!

(Advantages colour coded for your boat, unbreakable, comfy to lean on, extra buoyancy, flexible,  fits wherever you wanna stick it, cheap as chips, extremely simple to install and, it actually works).

Cheers,

Whirls
« Last Edit: Tue 27 Jun 18:17 2017 by Whirly »

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline squidjew

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 34
Re: In-Boat Rod Holder
« Reply #1 on: Tue 27 Jun 20:44 2017 »
Thats a neat idea