Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Up Coming Events

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Happy Birthday

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Parsun  (Read 492 times)

Offline keen2fish

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 87
Parsun
« on: Tue 13 Jun 06:44 2017 »
Hi all just trying to get any info on the parsun motors?i am looking at a 4hp and unsure whether to buy a second hand yammy or similar or give the parsun a go brand new with warranty I have purchased motors over the years and always go for popular brands any advice appreciated I actually have a little Johnson sea horse at the moment but it is getting old and I do not want to get stuck as I am going to Moreton island soon and am going to putt out to Curtin reef for a play and would rather make it back to shore than end up in middle of bay with the current 😢
Cheers smithy
Cheerz Smithy

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline Taylyn it

• Global Moderator
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2599
  • -Receive: 1841
  • The rich have therapy for the rest there's fishing
  • Club Awards:
    2016 Freshwater Champion
Re: Parsun
« Reply #1 on: Tue 13 Jun 21:46 2017 »
PaulG on our site has one I think and I don't think he has been able to
kill his yet, it is a bigger model though.

Cheers Jason
  • My Awards Mac Tuna Over 80cm Freshwater Cod Over 60cm Yellowbelly Over 50cm Whiting Over 40cm Cobia Over 100cm Spotty Mackerel Over 80cm Redclaw over 35cm Grass Emperor Over 45cm
  • Fishing is meant to be enjoyable, let's keep it that way.
    Jason

Online paulg

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1121
    • -Receive: 634
    • Where are the PRAWNS
    « Reply #2 on: Tue 13 Jun 22:04 2017 »
    i have a similar a powertec.mine is a chinese knock off off of a yamaha 15 hp.everything is exactly the same except quality of bolts and finishes.ie bolts exposed rust.use lots of wd40.all parts are exactly the same as yamaha so i just get something from a yamaha dealer if i need it.i have had it three yrs and it has let me down twice.once the prop fell off first day.no split pin in it.second cdi died.i also sank the boat cleaned it up and it is still running perfectly
    check what the parson is a chinese knock off of,if yamaha i would say buy it with a few extra cans of wd40
  • My Awards Sand crab over 16cm Coral Trout (all) Over 60cm Red Throat Sweetlip Over 50cm Spanish Mackerel Over 120cm
  • Bring on Prawn Season

Online Nugget

• G'day G'day
    • Administrator
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 2
    • -Receive: 4572
      • Nugget Outdoors
    « Reply #3 on: Wed 14 Jun 04:53 2017 »
    Didn't Steve (outcast), buy a Parson or something similar?

http://www.nuggetoutdoors.com.au/smf/index.php?topic=29583.msg200050#msg200050

Quote:
    On another note I was wondering what to do about the motor and didn't want to spend money on a motor I never really liked and was wandering through some web sites getting an idea of what I was looking at for a new donk when I came across a new 30hp Parsun (don't judge me) ex display for about a third of the price of a new Merc, now the merc was only 6 years old so I figured if I get 2 years out of the Parsun I'm on par, any more and I'm in front.
    Contemplating changing the decals to save face but if you's are wondering about the reliability of these things Watch this space.
    Rod Repairs and custom rods built - Message me for a free quote

Offline Outcast

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 275
    • -Receive: 845
    « Reply #4 on: Wed 14 Jun 08:37 2017 »
    Yeah I got a 30 and it runs better and starts easier than the old merc, hasn't let me down yet but like Paul said you wanna keep it clean.

Offline Fishy mick

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 61
    • -Receive: 109
    « Reply #5 on: Wed 14 Jun 09:17 2017 »
    Yeah I got a 30 and it runs better and starts easier than the old merc, hasn't let me down yet but like Paul said you wanna keep it clean.

I assume yours is mostly used in fresh water. Has it done any salt water work? Just interested to see how they hold up.
    Mick
    Not all tools are usefull

Offline Outcast

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 275
    • -Receive: 845
    « Reply #6 on: Wed 14 Jun 16:02 2017 »
    I only kayak in the fresh so the boat only gets used in the salt, probably over 100 hours on it so far and only some slight cancer around the cowel latch which I'll sort one day, actually prefer it over the Merc (so far).

Offline keen2fish

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #7 on: Wed 14 Jun 18:40 2017 »
    Thanks all seems to be a lot of positive info will take this to she who is in charge of $ and see what happens
    Smithy
    Cheerz Smithy

Offline keen2fish

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #8 on: Mon 19 Jun 18:46 2017 »
    Well my pride got the better of me and I bought second hand Yamaha 4HP on the weekend instead of the Parsun apparently not used for a while low hours of an old bloke who lived on a catamaran at Kangaroo Point and it was of his tender still had fuel in it I ditched that and reloaded fresh fuel and she fired up and sounds sweet only issue I cannot see it pumping water out  ???It is apparently an 08 model but there is some writing suggesting it may be an 02 model my question to anyone who can help is where is the outlet on this model as there is no hole or hose up top of motor only an outlet half way down the leg??is that it ??I am happy to flush and replace impeller if that is the outlet but I am booked on the 830 barge Monday morning and really think I am going to struggle for time as this thing called work keeps getting in the way :'(any tips or suggestions or any advice appreciated anyone in Ipswich area who could assist would be unreal I am happy to pay with $ or beer  :)
    Smithy
    Cheerz Smithy

Offline cus

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 23
    • -Receive: 39
    « Reply #9 on: Mon 19 Jun 20:51 2017 »
    Best to get it a fresh impeller. Any good marine place should have a yamaha kit for you.
  • My Awards Tailor Over 70cm

• Offline keen2fish

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #10 on: Tue 20 Jun 06:11 2017 »
    Cheers cus gunna get onto Ipswich marine today just hoping they have time to get it sorted for me
    Cheerz Smithy

Offline keen2fish

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #11 on: Wed 21 Jun 15:40 2017 »
    Well the Yamaha is sorted a big thanks to Brad from Ipswich Marine took it out yesterday had a chat told him my situation and he got straight onto it 24 hrs and a couple of $ later new water pump new plug gearbox oil changed and it's running like a dream can't wait to be on the barge Monday morning and sitting on Curtin reef with a beer in the arvo🐟😛
    Cheerz Smithy