Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Up Coming Events

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Happy Birthday

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: NSW deer pest control with suspension orders  (Read 300 times)

Offline crabby1

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 51
  • -Receive: 318
NSW deer pest control with suspension orders
« on: Sat 3 Jun 06:03 2017 »
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/hunting/game-and-pests/managing-wild-deer-in-nsw/local-government-area-suspensions

3 year trail to 8 local government regions to help farmers control deer numbers with greater use of R licence holders.
I will be adding my name to register as a "hunter" as in the link above

Looks to be an effective way of removing game status in realty affected regions but protects herds that are not currently in excess numbers to landholders. Or should hunters be wary of such a trail being established?

Local Government Area suspensions
To improve the management of wild deer, minimise their impact on agriculture, the environment, economy and local communities, and allow more options for control, blanket suspension orders for eight Local Government Areas (LGAs) with large populations of wild deer are in force from Friday, 2 June 2017.
One suspension order is already in force in the Port Macquarie Hastings LGA, taking the total number of LGAs with deer hunting regulations suspended to nine.
LGAs with suspended deer hunting regulations are:
Bega Valley
Glen Innes Severn
Liverpool Plains
Port Macquarie Hastings
Snowy Monaro
Snowy Valleys
Tenterfield
Upper Hunter
Wollongong.
Suspending the normal regulations that apply to deer hunting allows NSW game hunting licence holders to hunt in ways that would otherwise be prohibited,such as:
removing the requirement to hunt certain species during a defined season
use of spotlights or electronic devices
hunting of game fleeing fire or smoke
use of aircraft, watercraft or motor vehicles
use of baits, lures or decoys
hunting at night.
Each suspension order covers private and other lands within the LGA. However, any public lands that are declared and open for hunting within the LGA are not part of the suspended area.
Start of suspension: Friday, 2 June 2017
Expiry of suspension: Monday, 1 June 2020
A blanket suspension is also in force for the Port Macquarie Hastings LGA to support the activities of a local wild deer management working group

Offline JackDawg

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 342
Re: NSW deer pest control with suspension orders
« Reply #1 on: Sat 3 Jun 07:01 2017 »
Well that has me stumped.
Apart for humane reasons, why would you put ANY restrictions on the hunters ability to shoot as many feral animals as possible?

• My Awards Yellowbelly Over 50cm

• Offline Fisharwashe

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 63
    • -Receive: 130
    « Reply #2 on: Sat 3 Jun 08:44 2017 »
    correct me if I'm wrong here JD but isn't it just govt talk for "our PC efforts of deer control in these 9 areas have failed, please kill them any way you can" but leave all our other areas alone

Offline Paul Mc

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • -Receive: 1
    « Reply #3 on: Sat 3 Jun 09:44 2017 »
    What it really means is, the government is giving permission to landholders to use extra measures to control deer numbers, as there is too many. It allows farmers to treat them as invasive species, and in some areas there is way too many
    Paul McNaught

Offline crabby1

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #4 on: Sun 4 Jun 15:24 2017 »
    Well that has me stumped.
    Apart for humane reasons, why would you put ANY restrictions on the hunters ability to shoot as many feral animals as possible?

Deer are classed as game in NSW so there is seasons and methods for recreational hunter such as requiring a "G" licence to hunt them

What it really means is, the government is giving permission to landholders to use extra measures to control deer numbers, as there is too many. It allows farmers to treat them as invasive species, and in some areas there is way too many

Farmers and their direct agents have all ways had these legal options available to use to control deer.
    This allowing rec hunters with "R" licence to apply to the scheme and be used as unpaid cullers of deer.

Be interesting to see where this is truely headed for deer as a game species in all of NSW.
    Reckon the scheme is set to fail and push to have all deer classed as pest state wide like QLD IMHO

Offline BJC

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Receive: 53
    « Reply #5 on: Sun 4 Jun 20:56 2017 »
    Deer a pest in Qld ??
    Anyone told property owners this ?
    Most properties we have been trying to gain  access to enjoy having the deer and wont let us on.
    How does a Qlder get access or info to hunt deer on public land in NSW ?

Offline JackDawg

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 80
    • -Receive: 342
    « Reply #6 on: Mon 5 Jun 05:23 2017 »
    Deer are classed as game in NSW so there is seasons and methods for recreational hunter such as requiring a "G" licence to hunt them

:o unbelievable. Next thing you know they will breeding feral fish and stocking them..... oh oops, they already do that in NSW?   ???

Strange people those mexicans..... maybe we need a wall   ;D
  • My Awards Yellowbelly Over 50cm
  • The following members said thank you for your post

Offline crabby1

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #7 on: Mon 5 Jun 08:28 2017 »
    Deer a pest in Qld ??
    Anyone told property owners this ?
    Most properties we have been trying to gain  access to enjoy having the deer and wont let us on.
    How does a Qlder get access or info to hunt deer on public land in NSW ?

Class 1,2 and 3 pest depending on species and where it is located in QLD.
    35years ago you would have been charged with possession of the Queens property for having anter, skin or deer meat in QLD if taken from wild stocks even from private lands

Next Australian Deer Assosciation, Logan and Albert Branch is at Pimpima Hall off end of Rifle Range Road right next to M1 and school is Tuesday night at 730pm if you want to come along.
    ADA will give the insurance you need and does the NSWDPI "R" licence course to obtain licence.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/hunting/hunting-licences/restricted

Good luck with getting access in QLD without paying.
    Should have contacted Muzza and come along on the weekend just gone. Have to pay to hunt but at least your hunting and better than going up non hunting weekends working for the farmer fencing, driving tractors and other farm duties.

:o unbelievable. Next thing you know they will breeding feral fish and stocking them..... oh oops, they already do that in NSW?   ???

Strange people those mexicans..... maybe we need a wall   ;D

People like to catch trout and redfin.
    Imagine in QLD if restocking groups in QLD where allowed to stock native species to the water catchments.

Be no bass north of Noosa river, NO yellas or Murray cod on the Eastern rivers, Redclaw be banned from taking except natural waterways of the native range, Barra would not be stocked Burrum River.

Deer base population in local areas now area at numbers where eah year the fawns or calf born increase the population by heaps. And hunters not shooting enough deer does not help. Yes you my want only shoot a trophy but if numbers are too many like now in the listed areas then extra means to farmers have to be used.
    To higher population means the lands suffers and so does the general health of the deer herds.

Amazing how pests fish or deer can taste so good ;)

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline Muzza

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Receive: 270
    « Reply #8 on: Tue 6 Jun 16:45 2017 »
    Hey crabby1,
    Did you enjoy the weekend up at Jimna? I thought you looked like you were enjoying yourself. They are a great bunch of people and with the great facilities and camping area, it is not hard to go up for the weekend to access three species of deer, wild mountain pigs and wild dogs.
    With a yearly fee of $550, you can go up anytime and once you have done the Hunter Education Course, you can knock over a red hind or cull stag for the freezer, for a flat fee of $110. The Rusa and Fallow are a bit more exy, but for those who want to take their young son hunting feral animals like deer and pigs, in pretty good conditions, I don't think you can beat it.
    I look at it this way, with the price of fuel going up and up, for those who can't get access to properties to hunt deer and don't want to drive down to NSW, Clark has just the answer up at Jimna, just 2 hours from Brisbane.

I'll take a meat deer next trip and I'm saving my pennies for the next roar in 2018. Clark organises it through a ballot system, so that you have your own "block" of your choice to hunt for the week and there are two other great properties with facilities to hunt as well. One has wild bass on tap. There are a lot of 5x5's, 5x6's and 6x6's Reds up there to be taken, as well as some very good Fallow bucks and monster 30 - 35 inch Rusa stags.
    Muzz

Offline crabby1

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #9 on: Wed 7 Jun 09:00 2017 »
    Anyone starting out it s the best set up I have seen as you get some education  in addition to the land to hunt.

I had couple of people, one I remember well it took him 12 months to shoot his first.
    Got the call on UHF, had no idea what to do next in regards to skinning and meat recovery.
    Clark covers this very well I must say

Offline bondy99

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 4337
    • -Receive: 1672
    « Reply #10 on: Sun 18 Jun 16:18 2017 »
    I'd be in this too but not just yet.
  • My Awards Dolphinfish Over 120cm Whiting Over 40cm Sand crab over 16cm

• Offline crabby1

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #11 on: Sun 18 Jun 20:16 2017 »
    I'd be in this too but not just yet.

You got your NSW DPI "R" Licence yet?
    Can give your name to two people I know that do the tests.

Open book so not hard to pass just require AHO for the insurance. ADA and SSAA are about the two easiest and most maybe a member all ready if check the list.

If meaning hunting deer 2hrs from Brisbane contact Muzza be your best option