Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Up Coming Events

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Happy Birthday

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Camp lighting?  (Read 563 times)

Offline beach bum

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 640
  • -Receive: 448
  • fishing use a lure. Catching take live bait
Camp lighting?
« on: Sun 5 Mar 20:52 2017 »
Just wondering what other nuggeters are running. I Normaly run 3 way fridges on gas and or esky depending on the trip so 12v setup only needs to run lights n the sids monitor for the little fella over night n charge phones ect. I think it will be a few maybe 5 x 10 watt led floods to light up camp kitchen n surrounds for a few hours n then drop back to lower level after dinner with some yellowish low watt string LEDs to still have some light to move around n not trip over the ropes but not blinding n keep the bugs away.  Also sids monitor takes 7.5 v dc and has a battery backup of rechargeable AAA's. My plan is to charge the camper battery at home before a trip then use some sort of solar setup to maintain while away so I can tow with whatever depending on the trip n not need to charge off the tow car. Unless no sun n long trip ect. I thought of running off the tow cars but was told by an auto elec that it would be fine off my wife's 105 series cruiser (as older tech) but my bt50 would need a bc dc charger starting at $450+ fitting for the base model to work as newer tech won't send enough current to 2nd battery even through voltage sensitive  Solinoid). Said it would charge to only 70-80%  but sit at 12.4 v Which makes sense as my dual battery with voltage sensitive solinoid has always struggled to stay above 10 v with any deicent load on it.

I plan to come off the camper battery through fuses or circuit breakers ect to a bank of switches that will run to a normal female 7 pin trailer plug coming out of the box on the draw bar holding battery n other stuff. using up to 6 wires as actives switched individualy n the other as neutral. Then have a wireing loom made up starting with a 7 pin male plug that will plug in and then run around the annex at high level clipping to the eyelets then with secondary plugs(to be decided) at set intivals that line up with a pole ect to  plug the light into n then hang the lights off the poles.  So it can all be driven by somewhere convenient like next to the fridge.

So I guess my questions are what size battery in amp hours?and what size pannel do you think I will need most trips will be two nights n I will step the voltage down to 7.5 for the sids monitor

Looking forward to the next trip

Offline Crocb8

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 99
Re: Camp lighting?
« Reply #1 on: Mon 6 Mar 07:47 2017 »
Can help you out with the lights/switches dimmers etc. all plug n play

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline crabby1

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 51
  • -Receive: 318
« Reply #2 on: Mon 6 Mar 12:52 2017 »
How many amps does the SIDS moniter use? less than 3amps?

What about this?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Waterproof-12V-to-7-5V-3A-DC-DC-Buck-Converter-Step-Down-Module-Car-Power-Supply-/140933720335

As for batteries and size
If it is for only lights, go to a electric scooter place and see if can buy some of the used sealed batteries of 30 amps or under. Should get them cheap if have to pay for them all. Or scrap yard.
Cheap smart charger and charge right up before going and run the uts out of them for up to 3 nights away.

My mate gets the 17amp 12 v batteries from the hospital beds when they replace them every 2 years.
Been flogging then for 4 years nw and they work well enough.
I run one as night light every night on a 50cm led light bar for kids going to toilet. During rns forgot to get extra light fitted so temper fix been there 2 years now. Embarrassing sort of.
Try dilligaf or the person on here that sells led gear on this site.

Other wise see if Aldi has still got their LED camplights in stock at your local. 2 sets of them ought be enough for any camp and run each set off of a 2nd battery as off above. Need anymore light than that then cheap LED headlamps are used in my camp.

Another thought for that SIDS moniter is go to Jarcar and buy a battery guard VSR and set at 11.9 volts and run a 150W inverter. Battery Guard will then leave enough oomph in battery to start tow vehicle. Just need to trail it a few times before going away that it will work whole time young one sleeping before VSR switches off.
Bit of a thread I did one here
http://www.nuggetoutdoors.com.au/smf/index.php?topic=29748.0

Broken record by me at least 110amp and 200W household panel and Victron 75/15MPPT
http://www.nuggetoutdoors.com.au/smf/index.php?topic=27576.0

Other wise buy any battery you want that is a size easy to handle and buy cheap set of folding solar panels with shitty WPM solar regulator. If the battery is fully charged before going then the panels should keep it topped up for 5-7days if no fridge is run off it, reckon would run the SIDS for 2 nights as well with 150w invertor but please don't risk child unless you have tested it yourself and confident before use.

Offline beach bum

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 640
  • -Receive: 448
  • fishing use a lure. Catching take live bait
« Reply #3 on: Mon 6 Mar 19:30 2017 »
I was planing to do the step down module for the sids monitor as it has its own battery back up built in incase the mains power at home went out. And take spare AAA's with me incase something failed. The 240 charger outputs 7.5 v at 500 mA for the sids monitor so allowing for losses in the step down module should be less than 1 amp and only when it's in use. I'm going to see Dilligaf n get the good oil on LEDs. Battery n solar panel I'm still undecided as to which way to go size wise n type. I could put a new battery in the cruiser n use the old one for the camper hooked up to a solar panel n just use the regulator that comes on it to control the charge. I figure my total amp draw at night would be about 6 amps/hour all up for 50 watts of lights n the sids monitor while we do dinner ect n drop back to maybe 3amps/hour as we turn the lights down n enjoy the camp fire n drinks then 1 amp/hour over night for the sids monitor so I think in a 24 hour period I will use 40 amps or 480 watts in a worst case senareo n seeing as it will mostly be used once the sun has gone down I need to size the solar panel to be powerful enough to make those amps/watts up with say 6 hours of sunlight (worst case) so if I divide the 480 watts by 6 hours of sun I end up with 80 watts needed for the panel. Is this correct or am I way off with how I'm trying to work it out.
Looking forward to the next trip

Offline crabby1

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 51
  • -Receive: 318
« Reply #4 on: Mon 6 Mar 21:58 2017 »
Be close enough as smallest folding panel from 120w up to the 220w.
Buy once if can afford it or just go cheapest 120w and fully charge before going and charge up once home.

Way to easy to run up to $1500 if trying going DCDC charger with solar panel s well with 100-150amp AGM battery and flash wired set up for all the bling. Where as the SIDS is more important issue and have the battery back up self contained.