Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Battery Guard  (Read 1751 times)

Offline crabby1

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 381
Battery Guard
« on: Wed 31 Aug 06:42 2016 »
Any one use on of these to protect their battery from discharging so won't start?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KEMO-M148A-Battery-guard-12-V-Made-in-Germany-/370996874908

Mounting a Narava twin USB and Cigarette outlet inside my car so can charge and run gear without requiring key in ignition.
In my ute I have outlets from deep cycle to charge phones, torches, UHF radios and all other crap when hunting. I find it very convenient and want to copy it in the car.
Currently only has the cranking battery Wink and want to protect battery from not being able to start. For long term protection been told not to discharge below 11.9V as a regular occurrence.
All other VSR seem to be set at 11.3V , most advice says this will do damage to a cranking battery if occurs often. A chart suggests will cut down its full service by 1/4 of expect cycles.

Anyone know of VSR at 11.9V? only will have 10amp draw max. as 50L fridge will be highest AMP draw plus there is 2 - 2.1amp usb outlets
Otherwise will grab on of the above linked items and set it till get it to 11.9V 

Offline banksy

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 37
Re: Battery Guard
« Reply #1 on: Wed 31 Aug 16:11 2016 »

Anyone know of VSR at 11.9V? only will have 10amp draw max. as 50L fridge will be highest AMP draw plus there is 2 - 2.1amp usb outlets
Otherwise will grab on of the above linked items and set it till get it to 11.9V 

edit -  Wrong info posted by me.

Offline crabby1

• Registered
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: Thu 1 Sep 21:25 2016 »
Coming alone nicely he is and hope is good for school holidays coming up. Full of check this arvo

got to put 2hrs into install in car.
wire up the cigarette and volt meter tomorrow but USB's are working currently.

Need to adjust VSR to 11.9V with bit of playing around and then bit of 3-4months trail and report if worked how I want it to.

Offline crabby1

• Registered
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: Sat 3 Sep 19:35 2016 »
After sleeping for few hours today the voltage was down to 11.4V and fridge was still running.
Engine started and did what had to do.

Have adjusted the VSR increasing the cut off screw a touch to increase volts of cut off.
Interesting how long fridge runs off standard battery during cooling stage. Now that water bottles are chilled will be interesting to see how long to draw battery down to at least 11.9V.

Will take jumpstart kit to work in case still set to low voltage currently

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline crabby1

• Registered
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: Thu 6 Oct 08:06 2016 »
Well 4weeks of use and battery still starts the car every time so the cut off at 11.9V under load seems to be a good choice so far. Yes if it was a compressor fridge it would most likely have an in built adjustable cut off setting but the idea was as well so there was USB outlets and Cigarette 12V out for charging of phones, tablets, headlamps and all other crap I usually have with me and thy can be charging or running even with the key in the ignition in the on position
As for long term battery life that will be hard to gauge honestly as car was bought 2-3months ago 2nd hand and don't know past history of battery.

Its only a standard cranking battery so will look into when it dies a semi deep cycling battery like some marine batteries claim to be. Have thought of going AGM deep cycle but don't know how cranking a V6 3.0L petrol engine would effect its duty life plus the heat from the engine under the bonnet may kill it quicker. Plus the charge rate of the standard alternator maybe to low for full charging of AGM battery
Will make a habit of hooking up the Ctak 5amp charger on maintenance mode for overnight and long as possible to try and help the battery life to be extended

But currently with my every day car usage is enough to keep drink and the days food cool as the battery runs the fridge for many hours until VSR draws down to 11.9Volts under load.
Having the chilled water and food is lots better on the wallet and health wise.
Would have saved the money on VSR and outlets and wiring all ready in first month alone.

Currently is pleased

Offline crabby1

• Registered
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: Mon 4 Dec 16:14 2017 »
Old thread reveiw

14 months later since fitted the VSR and still same cranking battery only.
Allways starts at turn of the key. Never sounds slow in doing so.
Yes the battery does not run fridge as long as 14months ago but still god for 6hrs run time without restarting engine.
Had vehicle for over 18months and same battery as when bought it. So if get another 6months from it will look at either semi deep cycling or if can fit larger cranking battery.
Battery still tests over rated cranking amps so is in good condition and if not running fridge will be 12.6 or 12.7volts next morning

Offline datcol

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #6 on: Mon 4 Dec 21:52 2017 »
Have had good results from Supercharge All-rounder Battery's Over the years

Offline crabby1

• Registered
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: Tue 5 Dec 04:30 2017 »
Thanks ;)
Use to use the Marine version in 4wd and boats myself.

anything