Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Happy Birthday

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: Tyres on the Troopy  (Read 1720 times)

Offline glen

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 240
  • -Receive: 174
Tyres on the Troopy
« on: Tue 15 Dec 16:31 2015 »
G'day all, a couple of weeks ago I drove home from Townsville with no troubles at all and arrived home about 9.00 pm.  Next morning we heard a loud bang from out the front, and discovered that the front left tyre had blown out the side wall. I am very glad that it didn't happen out on the highway in the dark.
I have had a pretty good run out of these tyres but they were getting down a bit.
Trotted of down to the local tyre shop and four new Goodyear Wranglers fitted.
We pulled out the old paperwork and discovered that these old tyres had clocked up an impressive 155,500 klm.
The old girl is starting to get a bit pampered now, she got a new alternator last week as well. So far so good with 726,000 klm on the odometer.

So lets hear what your tyres have achieved.

Glen

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline crabby1

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 378
Re: Tyres on the Troopy
« Reply #1 on: Tue 15 Dec 19:59 2015 »
Think yourself lucky but that's excellent miles out of 4wd tyres.

I had a back tyre blow on the Gateway this year and that was no fun. Sidewall total separated. Lost mudguard was worst part.

Mate blew his back tyre couple weeks ago and rolled the 4wd and was written off. weeks of work and shoulder that will take months of phsyo to get 80% pre accident.

What type of tyres was the last set out of interest?

Offline beach bum

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 928
  • -Receive: 590
  • fishing use a lure. Catching take live bait
« Reply #2 on: Wed 16 Dec 07:19 2015 »
I had a similar blow out inside left front after a trip west in my old landy troopy. Blew out about 50 m from home at slow speed turning left I figured I must have had a stick or rock damage the side wall. That's great kms out of yours to get Ks like that they're usualy quite a hard compound n horrid in the wet. I got only 55 out of my wranglers that came new on my ute. I now have falken wild peak at with 40 on them. I do a lot of stop start city stuff with the odd high way run every few weeks n beach trips. The cruiser ute we have at work has chewed out the grand treks pretty quick then Went to maxsis n they too went pretty quick but now have general grabber at3 n they have 70 n still look good.
Looking forward to the next trip

Offline glen

• Club Member
  • Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 240
  • -Receive: 174
« Reply #3 on: Thu 17 Dec 18:09 2015 »
Hi Crabby, the new tyres are the same as the old one's, Goodyear Wrangler. It says that they have Kevlar in them..  I can't imagine anything worse than trying to change a tyre on the Gateway, that is really death defying stuff.  My brother wrote of his work ute the week before last on the Ipswich Motorway when a truck ran into a broken down car and then veered into my brothers ute at 100 kph.

Hi Beachbum, how are you mate, The Wranglers are probably quite hard but so be it, but most of my driving is highway work. The troopy in normal configuration goe's 3050 kg on the weigh bridge and I had no end of trouble with the grand trek's and split rims.  Had the local Beaurepaires fit Sunraysia's and the wrangler's 265/75 R16 and all my problems went away. I have also gone to the exact same package on the other Troopy. The manager at Beaurepair's did confirm the k's that the original one's achieved.
Merry Christmas to you all
Glen     

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline crabby1

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 378
« Reply #4 on: Thu 12 Oct 20:33 2017 »
Old thread revival.

Got new tyres on my Hilux today. What a difference having good tyres on again especially with wet conditions of late.

Asked around at work and bloke has set of Wranglers with 195000km  :o
Has enough tread to go 200k mark.

The most amazing part is they are on a Land Rover that hasn't broken down for 7yrs and 200k+km

anything