Welcome

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Who's Online

Newest Members

Up Coming Events

Happy Birthday

Sorry! There are no calendar events available at the moment.

Brought to you by Marine Queensland

Select Theme

Forum Default

Permanently

Author Topic: how do you burley ?  (Read 1349 times)

Offline rot8me

• Registered
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 770
  • -Receive: 539
how do you burley ?
« on: Wed 11 Jul 08:14 2012 »
i know there are different methods and ways of burleying just curious how other people do it. and what do you put in it ?

Chuck cut pilchards repitadly over the side, burley bomb ?

tuna oil, pilchards, bread or even the pre mix packets you buy from tackle outlets?
  • My Awards Spotty Mackerel Over 80cm Marlin Over 100cm Grass Emperor Over 45cm Pearl Perch Over 50cm Voted best catch
  • Pro-Line 251 WA
    "Callin' in Sick"

Offline brad smith

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 0
    • -Receive: 75
    Re: how do you burley ?
    « Reply #1 on: Wed 11 Jul 08:52 2012 »
    One of the golden rules of burleying is a [ little bit of burley consistantly rather than a lot of burley at once ]. There are many ways and all sorts of devices and methods that anglers invent for the successful introduction of burley. You can buy burley cages or baskets from tackle shops or invent your own that will work but the true success will come from introducing the burley stream to the right depth for the fish you are targeting. Some anglers attach the burley container with a clip and a seperate line to their anchor line which allows them to slide the burley container up and down the anchor line to what ever depth that they are going to fish. This is just one example but at the end of the day burley works and with experimentation and creativity you will device you will get the right result. cheers Smithy     

The following members said thank you for your post

Offline Red

• Global Moderator
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 3103
    • -Receive: 2387
    • The bad days make you appreciate the good ones..
    • 2012 Club Awards:
      2012 Heaviest Snapper
    « Reply #2 on: Wed 11 Jul 09:40 2012 »
    One of my favourite ' slow release' methods is to freeze some fish scraps, prawns shells, etc ( all put through a mincer) into a block with a string and large swivel in it. Then I drop it to the bottom in places like Club Mud, the seway, etc  when I need it . Pull it in when you've had enough and back on ice, or when you move. Cheap as, and works a treat.

A can of no frills cat food with holes punched in it on a bit of heavier line also works. 65c last i checked.

Red
    4.55 Stessco Hurricane  "Dr's Orders"

Offline rot8me

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #3 on: Wed 11 Jul 10:37 2012 »
    yeah i tend to do the cat food method haha cheap easy and effective.
  • My Awards Spotty Mackerel Over 80cm Marlin Over 100cm Grass Emperor Over 45cm Pearl Perch Over 50cm Voted best catch
  • Pro-Line 251 WA
    "Callin' in Sick"

Offline Sarge06

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 805
    • -Receive: 363
    « Reply #4 on: Wed 11 Jul 12:08 2012 »
    Bring the brother in-law out in a bit of swell after a big feed - he does the rest!  ;D

Interesting thread, not something I've done alot of lately, but probably should start doing again...

Offline 2010mitch

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 223
    • -Receive: 67
    « Reply #5 on: Wed 11 Jul 16:32 2012 »
    just an $8 pre mix "slow release" bag from bcf in a $6 burley bucket, again from bcf works a treat for me. every now and then its good if you jerk the bucket to release the burely...... tie a knot that will not come undone, have lost a few buckets due to knots slipping  ::)
    If you dont know knots, do lots! ;D
    cheers, mitch
    4.0m Stacer Seahorse + 20hp Mariner

Offline philb

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1914
    • -Receive: 1006
    « Reply #6 on: Wed 11 Jul 16:43 2012 »
    Bring the brother in-law out in a bit of swell after a big feed - he does the rest!  ;D

Interesting thread, not something I've done alot of lately, but probably should start doing again...

Took the Burleyugh... Words right out of my mouth!
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will never starve.

Only take what you need and let the others breed.

Offline tugboatkingy

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 132
    • -Receive: 424
    « Reply #7 on: Wed 11 Jul 17:18 2012 »
    Have gone off burleying a bit since i came up here but used to use a few different techniques back down south.

When fishing for KG Whiting we were more-often-than-not anchored (as opposed to the winter whiting up here where i drift) i used to set the anchor then before putting a line in i would quickly shell 20 or 30 cockles and throw the shells in - it serves 2 purposes, both burley and bait readiness, when the KG's come on the chew you definitely boat more fish if you can keep the baits up to em and every second counts!

Fishing for Big Reds i used to use a burley pot with a trapdoor bottom so you could dump your burley on the bottom where the fish were feeding then bring your pot up - a better technique than leaving a pot over the side on a rope as i used to find the buggers would wrap around the pot rope .

Kingy.
    Global Warming =Higher sea levels=more fishing spots, BRING IT ON!

Offline hilta

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 2
    • -Receive: 4
    « Reply #8 on: Wed 11 Jul 20:55 2012 »
    I freeze all scraps and catch australian samon, tuna etc, freeze it (cut the tuna down a bit) then about every 6 months get it all out and put it through the garden shredder (steel framed and body type) cuts it into slithers beutifuly, put back in freezer in icecream tubs and then i have a plastic milk crate that i have roped a lid onto and over the side if  you need to stick some weight on the bottom and lower to desired depth. Works a treat. Regards Hilta

Online Krusty

• }--((((((((((((>..')
    • Global Moderator
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 5080
    • -Receive: 3042
    • With a little help from Lee Marvin's ghost ☠
    « Reply #9 on: Wed 11 Jul 21:46 2012 »
    IMO, most simple and best for keeping the grey suits at bay is, chook pellets. they sink slowly and are cheap.
    I also mince up and freeze my mullet gut and frames but mostly for the estury work. nothing pee's me off more than loosing good fish to sharks offshore.

Brad
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist
    expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."

Offline gozinta

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 2293
    • -Receive: 1946
    « Reply #10 on: Thu 12 Jul 07:05 2012 »
    Hi Rot8me,  I by a $13 bag of chook pellets which is ketp in the freeser so the mice do not eat them all. I have a ten litre bucket with lid i half fill with chook pellits and water to 25mm above pellets and in 500mm to a 1litre seaqueen tuna oil best I have found, stir untill mixed, let pellits break down untill consesenty of play dough, if no current just make up tytly packed balls of burly drop over side every now and then, if current is bad drop down in burly bomb to bottum or to depth where fish are hanging like snapper hanging up off bottum on a big bommy, works for me wood not go fishing without it even burly in the surf for tailor, tarwine, bream dart, Oh forgot to add when I come back from fishing just drop 10lt bucket back in freezer and use next time I go fishing, but give time to thoor Craig 
    « Last Edit: Thu 12 Jul 10:59 2012 by gozinta »

Offline rot8me

• Registered
    • Thank You
    « Reply #11 on: Thu 12 Jul 09:48 2012 »
    Love that idea mate!  i might even give that one a go myself
  • Pro-Line 251 WA
    "Callin' in Sick"

Offline BlowIn

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 2
    • -Receive: 9
    « Reply #12 on: Fri 13 Jul 20:42 2012 »
    Almost the same as Gozinta,  get a 20kg bag of chook pellets, put in sealed painters buckets to store...

1: berley bombs, all the scraps and some minced pillies ( borrow wifes food processor:D) add tuna oil, roll up in cling wrap tight and bash into roll shape and freeze,, great for estuary B bombs as well

OTHER BOMB is more like a handful to chuck out
    2: 1/2 bucket of chook pellets, add some roughly chopped pillies, tuna oil, also can add bread, old meat pies etc,sand , soak with water till like dough, grab a handful roll into ball and hoik out every once in a while, great for bream too if anchored up.

Offline Mitchell Bierge

• Club Member
    • Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 444
    • -Receive: 406
    « Reply #13 on: Sun 15 Jul 07:33 2012 »
     I see there have already post about the chook pellets  I used them all well in conjunction with the fish I clean I keep all the fish  scales put them with it left over pillies ,crab shells, any other seafood shells left over ,old bread , get couple of tins cat food  well mixed &  Then freeze it   With  the mix got bait fish come  right up to back of boat caught them in which helps me get snapper / other fish in the bay (Don't used tuna oil at all find attracts the sharks)
    Mitch
    PS I don't burley up for whiting in the bay because are dirfting all the time 
  • My Awards Spotty Mackerel Over 80cm Snapper Over 80cm
  • Sick of the Minatory Ruling over & getting their own way in thinking that's what the Majority wants
    Its about time the majority  started governing  properly

Offline lifestyle

• Registered
    • Thank You
    • -Given: 1
    • -Receive: 2
    « Reply #14 on: Tue 24 Jul 17:56 2012 »
    mix tuna oil and sand together through in some pillies mix all up and there you go.  The sand sinks quickly and with the tuna oil on it attracts the fish but wont fill them up. The pillies will give a good trail of burley  further out the back of the boat. You can make heaps as the sand if free. Havnt had any sharks yet